Ride & install advice

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by OMGitsmike, Aug 9, 2018.

1. AltRider

AltRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does look great, your guy did a good job matching the frame color. I'm going to try picking up LV Powder's spray can and keeping it on-hand for small patch jobs for when I start scratching the bars up. Maybe do a full powder-coat further down the line.

Man, I'm never going to live down that orange, am I?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good tip - I'll try mounting to the outside of the upper-forward bracket and see how it goes.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the orange. I thought of buying a Rallye and doing orange accents for Florida gators colors.
  5. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took @AltRider advice and tried re-mounting the left side lower crash bars, but with the upper-forward bolt on the outside of the frame instead of (as per instructions) inside the frame. The result is way better.

Before:
    IMG_5958.JPG

After:
    IMG_2813.JPG
    nobody0101, AltRider and JimVonBaden like this.
  6. AltRider

Oddometer:
    Glad it worked out for you! Feel free to share the tip, it seems lots of inmates run that exact combination. By the way, I like the orange too.
    RoundTrip and OMGitsmike like this.
  7. AltRider

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, Bruce here.

We just started a blog thread which goes into detail on the technical aspects of our crash bars. Since you're all already talking about our crash bars, I thought I'd share in case anyone was curious about how AltRider makes decisions when designing parts like this bar.

We'll be updating this periodically with more parts (and more bike models) so definitely stay tuned! It's also a great place to let us know what you want us to write about, so you can have all the facts (and only facts) all in one place.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  8. maveriks

maveriks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wish I had stumbled upon this before my install....itemizing my experiences building upon previous advice

1) Engine Mount Bolt: I broke a driver w adapter before taking advantage of a breaker bar to get the job done with helper.....that was some glue on that bolt...
    2) Skid plate - Center Stand: plan it well...taking plastics pins out and getting aluminium spacer through is not as easy as instructions make it out to be....
    spring side (clutch side) will give you trouble since hollow spacer needs to navigate through perfectly aligned sections in order to get to other side...2 teeth of center stand (black) & frame tab - blue for Rallye...while the spring tension pulls

Attached Files:

9. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you have to add shims to move the left Altrider crash bars upper forward bolt to the outside of the frame?
    Did the rest of the bolts line up ok or did you have to shim them also?
    I'm planning on adding MAM cylinder guards to my 2014 1200 GSW. Already have Altrider crash bars mounted with the left upper forward bolt mounted to the INSIDE of the frame.
  10. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:

No extra shims needed anywhere, all the bolts lined up no problem. Just loosed the bolts, moved the mounting point from the inside to the outside, re-tightened all the bolts. No issues at all.
  11. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks