Ride lat weekend

Discussion in 'Australia' started by atgreg, Jun 30, 2004.

1. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Had a good ride last weekend, my touring club had a weekend at the Globe Hotel in Rylstone ( between Lithgow and Mudgeee ) it's a great pub to stay at if you are in the area.

About 40 of stayed there and 10 of us did a dirt ride there.;

Me - 750 Africa twin
    jason - 650 Dakar
    Mike - 1150 Adventure
    Reg - 1150 GS
    Norm - 950 Adventure
    Steve - R100PD
    Mike - 750 Elephant
    Liz - DR 650
    Dominic - KLR650
    Greg - 650 transalp

We headed up Bells Rd to Bilpin where we took the Mt Irvine Rd to Mt Wilson, this is a great little trail, about 15km of dirt that winds it's way down to a bridge over a creek and then up to Mt Wilson. It's got great views over a valley, the trail is a bit bumpy but basically fine, there was one corner with a bit of sand and Steve managed to drop the 100PD, 1st ride on his new bike, he wasn't happy !!.

From Mt Wilson we headed to lithgow and Mt lambie for a coffee, then it was time for some more dirt, we were heading to Sofale via Sunny Corner, Dark Corner and Palmers Oakey

About half way between Lithgow and bathurst, take the Sunny Corner rd , then head for Dark Corner. The road turns to a good dirt road that wanders through forest and farm country to Palmers Oakey, very scenic though they had had a reasonable amount of rain and there wer some sections that were pretty greasy. From Palmers Oakey the road turns into a fire trail thats rocky and gravelly with a few ups and downs and lots of puddles after the rain. it's a really fun ride, and very scenic, it follows a creek very closely for a while and there are 3 or 4 gates you need to open along the way.

Reg had a woopsie at a tight uphill hairpin, no damage, my centrestand spring fell off so I had to tie it up with an ocky strap, Mike and mike swapped bikes and Mike T managed to all off the 1150 Adventure and put a nasty ding in the tank. Although there had been some rain, the 3 causeways we had to cross were ttally dry.

After Sofala it was tar to Rylstone for a great night at the pub, they fed us really well and got to watch the Dutch GP as well. On sunday it time to head home, Reg , Llew (Caponord) did a bit of exploring around the dirt roads near Lithgow and Hartley Vale, then down Bells rd again and home.

It was a great weekend and I can recomend the trails we took for a fun ride.

Greg
  2. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Must have just missed you Greg - we did Hill end - we were at the Sofala Turn around 3pm - Came up the dirt via Crookwell / Tuena /Trunkey Creek - fairly slippery near Abercrombie Caves 2 up.
  3. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    yeah,

we got into Sofala at 3.30pm, an excellent ride .
    Greg
  4. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    Greg,

Reg Off again!! Have you any photo's? The 1150 must be looking a little rough now. Are the Driving lights still intact?

Sounds like you had a good ride. Great area.

Mick
  5. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Ah yes , young reg, he was racing Jason on his 650 Dakar and the track got tighter and bumpier, he tried to get up the inside of Jason but the Corner was very tight and rough and over he went, it was funny and no damage but no photos.

Reg's bike still looks amazingly good, it's now got 92,000km on it (in less than 2 years) and he wants to get 100,000km up before the warranty runs out in about a month. Reg will be at the Offcentre, he is going via the Bungle bungles !!!.
    Greg
  6. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    He obviously has a damm good job to get the time off o do the K's. Or, does he ride to work everday?

I ride my 75/5, cheaper on tyres and maintenance that way. :D
  7. dave4462

dave4462 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what colour is Regs BM he went to yanderrie (and fell off if I recall corectly on a hill on limeburners rd) is that him in the clip in one of the sites run by a "tourer' club guy? I that other "always late" mugwump still up to his tricks? Jeez what a pathology!
  8. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:

Mate Reg does NO commuting on the bike, just does huge km on the weekends. he is known to decide on a friday lunchtime that he feels like riding to Cunnamulla and be back for work monday morning, and other trips like that, he is a riding machine.

I dont mind the odd huge ride but he makes me feel inadequate :-):-)
    Greg
  9. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:

Yes thats Reg in the clip on the Yellow 1150 GS. He just likes to ride and push himself !!
    Greg