Ride March 15th & 16th Fresno to ??????

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dsrider, Feb 23, 2008.

1. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suggestions Mariposa/Greely Hill Area. Possible leader Calikatoom AKA NorCal Moto Nut (Gail). Powerman knows this area very well also. Would like to keep it below the snow & avoid long Tarmac runs. All ideas welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. powerman

powerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rob,
    I've been up around Mariposa exploring a couple of times over the last two weekends and have found a few more trails, some pretty tight, but fun. The Jerseydale side is still snow though. El Viejo and his brother went with me last weekend, let's just say snow, a 950 adventure and a 5' 4" pilot don't work too well. I don't know what this new storm has done as far as snow so it's hard to predict what it will be like in a few weeks, I'll keep my eyes open though.
  3. Calikatoom

Calikatoom Norcal Moto Nut

Oddometer:
    I am with everyone else regarding snow. I am not too intrested in a slug fest with Mother Nature.:puke1 The plan will definitely be to stay below the snow for the most part.

I was thinking about climbing out of Bryceburg to Bull Creek road and beyond. There is a pretty good mix of stuff between there and Dog Town , Old Yosemite etc.

If the current (and possible future) storms drop the snow level too low, I was thinking about another Clear Creek run. I'd truck in with the 640 KTM for the Clear Creek ride.

Anyone else want to come out and play?:D

-Gail
  4. powerman

Oddometer:
    Gail,
    I've taken these folks through Briceburg on Bull Creek RD once to Greeley Hill and once to Buck Meadows. Neither time did I take them off the main roads, there are a bunch of different ways to go up there. I don't know what the snow is like in the Anderson Flat area, Pilot Peak is probably under snow, I'm sure the other side of the hill to Harden Flat is out too, but it might be fun to try to get to Dogtown by grosing the north fork of the Merced river, I've never done it before.
    Both the trips I took them on were pass through rides, I'd like the group to spend the day riding the area and exploring instead of just passing through on the main road.
    Maybe you and I can head up there and plan a route. Let me know if you have time to explore.

Andrew
  5. Calikatoom

Oddometer:
    What are you doing this Sunday? or Monday? There are a ton more trails to scout along the area.

I was thinking about crossing 120 and heading down Feretti rd a short ways to 1n09. This is heads down into the Tuolumne River Canyon. If snow levels allow, it eventually crosses the river and works its way up to Cherry Oil / Cherry Lake Rd. Unfortunately the last couple times I have been in the area, the road has been closed. I'd like to scout this to see if it is a seasonal closure or if it was temporary after a storm.

There are also a bunch of double track trails between Dog Town, Smith Station and Smith Peak Fire Lookout on 120. All of these link back to the dirt trails/roads near Buck Meadows.

Do you have a Garmin GPS? For anyone interested, I have attached a track log from a day of just wandering around solo. It was a day I dropped a few geocaches along the way. I also added the route down into Tuolumne River Canyon.

Let me know about this weekend!

Gail
  6. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any takers? Its to much tarmac for my current mood. You get more for your money when you buy a KLR example (KLR approx 386+lbs very dry only $5349) KTM approx 253lbs $8700= $34 per lb as compared to the KLR at $14 per pound! Its 133lbs lighter and cost $3351 more! Yes I kid you not!!!(Approx) Of course this logic could be used in other areas where people pay a lot more for a lot less. IS that where the saying comes from "Less is More"?
  7. powerman

Oddometer:
    Gail,
    I can ride Sunday. I know the area from Briceburg to Greeley Hill really well, but the stuff your are talking about I've only been through once years ago. Where and when do you want to meet, Mariposa, Coulterville, Briceburg? What are you going to ride?

Andrew
  8. Calikatoom

Oddometer:
    I am thinking we can meet in Mariposa. There is the gas station/store at the corner of Hwy49 and 140. How about we meet at 10:00AM? My friend John(Clear Creek GS guy) is going too.

I was thinking I'd ride my KTM 640. Is your 525 street legal? I could go either way with the bikes. Some of the trails I'd like to do are up at the top of the climb out of Bryceburg. There are some side trails that I'd like to explore. Have you explored these trails? As I recall they are fairly steep but doable on a big bike. The other trails I want explore are easier(I think). I am hoping to expand on some stuff I rode solo a couple months ago.

I'd also just like to see how high we can get before hitting snow. The higher the better!

Will that plan work for you?
  9. powerman

Oddometer:
    That works for me. My 525 is plated, that's what I'm planning on taking, I might bring the 950 on the group ride, but not for exploring. I've taken the 950 on alot of that stuff, but be warned a big bike will get scratched up on some of the single tracks. See you Sunday.
  10. Calikatoom

Oddometer:
    Little bikes it is!

See Ya Sunday morning!
  11. Calikatoom

Oddometer:
    See Ya Sunday 10:00 - Gas Station in Mariposa
  12. powerman

Oddometer:
    See you in Mariposa. I'll be in my truck, I'm going to unload at Briceburg.
  13. powerman

Oddometer:
    I'm home. 76 miles of dirt and 10 of street. What a good day. Anyone hear from Jason?
  14. Calikatoom

Oddometer:
    I just rolled in. 220 bitchin miles today!

I'll check in on Jason.

-Gail
  15. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm good. I got home around four.

I started up the hill and tucked my head as low as I could and then the brush knocked both of my mirrors loose and started spinning them, hitting me in the helmet when I decided to say screw it. I got the impression I was slowing you guys up anyway. I don't usually ride in what I would call "deer trails".

After I turned around, I hit 2S03. There were a lot of trees blocking the road. I went over a few of them until I got to one I couldn't. I guess I should of brought a machete with me, like Andrew had with him?

Then down through Dogtown, had a couple of creek crossings. I thought my bike was going to stall in one of them. The water came up to right below my knees. I started to go down 2S18 until I got a real "Deliverance" vibe from the place and turned around. It looked like a place people take stolen cars and strip them down. There were tires thrown all over the road and what looked like 20-30 car and truck chasis'. From there, I headed home unmolested.

Gail, I'll probably see you in the next week or two? I need to get some new fork seals for my bike. One of them was leaking pretty good from when I rode out to McSwain a couple of weeks ago. The Seal Mate I ran around it didn't do the trick this time.
  16. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pre ride This Saturday 3/8/08 at Shazamdrz (Jeff's place) Approx 9am there will be coffee we have several going 9 to 1 approx Jose Basin.
  17. shazamdrz

shazamdrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2955 Donner clovis gate code #1492. 213-0217. Corner of Locan & Gettysburg. be there or be an idiot.
  18. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    i'm in! see ya in the morning!
  19. Madera4x4

Madera4x4 n00b

Oddometer:
  20. powerman

Oddometer:
    DSRiders,
    Get this on your calendar.
    Gail and I have a route picked out starting in Briceburg and getting to Greeley Hill with plenty of area for additional exploring. I'd like to think of this ride as similar to your trips to Jose Basin, a fun trip, but no destination. We could start in Mariposa and meet for breakfast at Happy Burger at 9am Sunday March 16th. I did my route on both my bikes, but it's harder on the big bike because of a couple of single tracks that are overgrown and slap at the mirrors and fairing, so handguards are recomended. The traction was great, but knobbies are the way to go. If people want to truck to Briceburg there is room to park right at the river between the hwy and the bridge.

Andrew