Ride Mexico this winter, anyone?????

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ADVDAD, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Tama's Tigre

Tama's Tigre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If 48 and 52 are also considered "old farts," by buddy and I would also love to come out in December. Probably 2 weeks max for us :freaky
  2. ADVDAD

ADVDAD Trip-n on da Beemer

Oddometer:
    shure, why not, the more the merrier, i would rather go in dec 3 to 4 weeks but have to see what happens with the gig.
  3. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    Still looking for anyone heading south on/around April 1.
  4. rmarkr

rmarkr Squatter

Oddometer:
    Umberhand
    It would be a pleasure to have you come along. As I say, I'm just tagging along with a group, so am not in control here. I will let you know as soon as things are firmed up. The plan is to leave , as I say, early in December. The other guys have 3 bedroom BMW's so I will tend to stick close by because they can carry a shithouse of spares and the like. (and they include a certified m/c mechanic)

Mark
    :D
  5. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    Anyone who wants to head south, any time, I'm game :wink: :clap :freaky
  6. UmberHand

UmberHand Highlander

Oddometer:
    rmarkr,

Sounds good to me. I plan to leave early December come one come all for a three week jaunt to Panama City. I have to be in Panama City on the 22d of December. Plan to stay there for a week and then travel back up and explore Northern Nicaragua for a week or so.
  7. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    I'll keep you in mind as April 1 arrives.
    John
  8. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may be up for it and...I fly to Costa Rica very often so I know the country well if you would want to venture further. I heve done a dozen or so Miami to Vancouver so I'm fairly able. I also lived in South Texas 20 years and frequented Mexico so I have some familiarity.
  9. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    Lived in Miami Springs for 30 years and south Tx for 4 back in the 80s.Back in SA,Tx now until my April 1 move to Merida.
  10. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!! I'll be in Batopilas for three weeks starting about the last week in January. My familia and I will be parked on the main drag camping out of a Silver Tundra with pop up camper. I'll have my 640a and hopefully a bunch of info on the local roads. I plan on doing a lot of exploring in the immediate area and would love some company. Any body going through Batopilas in this time frame feel free to stop by the "casita" and chat and cervesas!!

Come on January!!!!!!!
  11. rmarkr

rmarkr Squatter

Oddometer:
    Don,
    Sorry about the delayed response - been hectic!
    Sure looks like we can do this together. Do you have all your paper work together - vaccinations and the like?
    I'll be sure to let you know as soon as things get firmed up.

Mark
  12. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of threads on the ADVrider site about rides in Mexico. I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico on my motorcycle. My reports are on my site at www.motofoto.cc. If you have any questions let me know. Mexico is a great place to ride and visit. I'l be down there again leaving around 14 December for about a week. I'm going down the peninsula to the Mulege/Loreto area. Maybe I'll even get down to Cabo. We'll see.
  13. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    I am waiting for my vacation to reset.:lol3 January 1 . I am planning a trip now digging all over the internet researching my ride...I am thinking of crossing over the border around Piedras Negras (SW of San Antonio). Riding my F650GS Dakar. Does anyone have maps of Copper Canyon area roads and trails? or what is the best to get? I allways ride the states using the Topo map books of the state...
  14. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:

How you like the bike?? sure looks comfey! I got to check it out with my dealer!
  15. ADVDAD

Oddometer:
    Mark
    Looks like I am going to be free the whole month of December, so I might be up for it then. Let me know what the plan is, IE: what type of roads are you going to do, are you going to camp some and motel some, what all paperwork do I need besides passport and ins, how many going etc.
    Don
  16. mikechill

mikechill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hay just found this post and seems to be the right time frame for us. I have been putting a trip together on another forum and so far have two other riders. We plane to trailer our bikes down to Brownsville from Chicago leaving Dec. 10th probably cross over the boarder on the 12th and meet up with David another rider along the way staying in touch via e-mail, we are planning a mostly road trip (v-strom, triumph trophy and BMW GS adv.) heading down the east cost.

We would still be interested in more riders or meeting up with other people on the way (I have room for three bikes on the truck for the ride from Chicago). Maybe hook up for x-mas somewhere warm and sunny. If anyone is interested please contact me. Mike C:clap
  17. ADVDAD

Oddometer:
    Well, December has freed up for me so my ideal trip would be to slab it to north baja, go south (easy pace) to cabo then up to la paz, take the ferry to matzalan then up to copper caynon and then home. I figure the whole month to do it. Should be a great trip to be down there over the holidays. I'm on a 12 GS so am limited as to how "off road" I can get. Anyone interested, let me know.
  18. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    Mike,

I may be able to do that Mexico ride in December. I live near Houston, Texas... you could possibly stop over hear on your way. If you have any details on your Mexico ride, I would appreciate it (destinations, time frames, how many riders, etc.). Please email me at tamastigre@hotmail.com
    I appreciate it :clap

J.R., AKA Tama's Tigre
  19. mikechill

mikechill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JR We will be leaving the Chicago area on Dec. 10th and drive straight through to Texas. A stop in Huston would be no problem, what would it be like riding to the boarder from Huston at that time of the year? We really have no plans on where to go in Mexico and any ideas would be welcome. I have to be in Nashville tn. on Jan. 3rd for a job but other wise all is possible. My # is 219-365-5520 feel free to call or e-mail me. M. Chill
  20. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    Mike,

I checked out your other links, and it looks like you guys are having too much fun! (except for the snow) :eek1

Riding to from Houston to Mexico in December can be a bit chilly, but defininitely tolerable. You could park your trailer at my place, have a camp fire, beer and cigars, then we could head south.

That's what I was planning on doing. I had two choices: Either do a north/east Mexico loop, via Montgomery, Texas to Laredo, TX, then to Monterrey, Mexico, Zacatecas, Aguascalientes (where my father was born), San Luis Potosi, Rio Verde, Ciudad Valles, then to Tampico on the Gulf of Mexico. From there, head north to Matamoros, then back to Montgomery, Texas. This would be a 1 week ride, 1957 miles total.

My other option was to just travel south, down the coast, to the Costa Maya, Quintana Roo, Yucatan Peninsula. The Costa Maya reaches south along the Carribean to Belize. Might even get some diving or snorkling in. Or, just have margaritas in a hammock, as you say, "somewhere warm and sunny." :freaky

Anyway, it all sounds good to me, not going to call you tonight (too late), but we need to touch base.

I can be reached at 281-451-8754.

Tama's Tigre