1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ride Mexico this winter, anyone?????

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ADVDAD, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    i would love to take a 2 week trip through baja in january if anyones interested

im on an xr400
  2. UmberHand

UmberHand Highlander

Oddometer:
    I'll be going in November and again in December. My November trip is a four day round trip. I leave out of Laredo either the 5th or 6th of November to various stops, turning back at Morelia, Mexico. Going to try my GPS out. Any strapper-ons are welcome.

Unfortunately, not sure if the December trip will be a normal round trip by motorcycle - I may be hanging around in Northern Nicaragua for a couple of weeks. Will accommodate anyone as I can. This December trip will probably run from the beginning of December through the middle of January.

Don
  3. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    I'm heading (moving) to Merida from San Antonio end of March if you're interested.

4. Tama's Tigre

Tama's Tigre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don, man that sounds great, but November is now going to be too early for me. Have a blast, and drink some tequila for me :freaky
  5. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    Dude, I did a mapquest search for "Merida" Texas, and couldn't find it. Where is Merida? :deal
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Yucatan
  7. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    OK, I located Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. I see that it's in the Gulf of Mexico. Here in Houston, we're in the Gulf, but it's a sestpool, brackish water, mudpit. Is Merida any different? Is it like the clear carribean waters of the Costa Maya? If so, count me in amigo :1drink
  8. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    It's not on the coast.....
  9. UmberHand

UmberHand Highlander

Oddometer:
    I'm ready.
  10. UmberHand

UmberHand Highlander

Oddometer:
    It's a sweet ride. I can't get over how nice it rides. It was a toss up between the VS and the V-Sturm - I went with the VS.
  11. rmarkr

rmarkr Squatter

Oddometer:
    Don
    Here's what I know (not much)
    No visas for US citizens
    Roads will be mostly paved but poor - potholes, speed bumps etc
    Will need some vaccinations - must have yellow fever. I also have Hep A and B, tetanus, malaria and typhoid. Rabies and MMR optional.
    I have jet medivac +/- $225 p.a.
    Need special vehicle insurance - wading through that. Mexico requires a security deposit $200 I think.
    International drivers license -from AAA
    I believe that acommodation is cheap (half of US rate) so that will be the usual, but I will carry a bed roll and tarp.
    Need to carry service parts, puncture/tire repair gear.
    All bike papers, and good forgeries.
    I'm trying to learn some Spanish - doing a crash course.
    It appears that there is a good bit of interest, but hard to say who will actually make it - seems that at least four of us are committed. I'm concerned about company coming back - week of 17 - 24 Dec. Will that work for you?
    Many members have had extensive experience in C/A, and this forum has a lot of info - I'm new to this area so be wary of my advice.

I suggest that we all meet in Texas near the border (maybe San Antonio) on (or after) the first weekend of December and make final arrangements there. I dont really mind where we go - I just want to ride somewhere new - and too cold to go north.

I hope you can make it - could be a real adventure!

PM or email me
    markrenew@hargray.com
  12. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    i'll be in Mexico for Dec and Jan...mostly southern.

i'll be on KLR and seeking out the worst possible roads and most remote areas. my plan so far is to camp as much as possible, but will probably end up doing hotels for half the nights or so based on my previous experiences. i drove to Costa Rica in a truck 2 years ago and have spent lots of time in Mexico.

it would be neat to hook up with you guys at some point. i plan to cross near Big Bend NP and head to Hidalgo (climbing) for a bit, then south-ish toward Yucatan by late Dec. i'll keep watch on this thread.
  13. rmarkr

rmarkr Squatter

Oddometer:
    OK, it looks like our scheduling is on track:
    Headed south towards the Mexico border over the weekend of 1st and 2nd of December. A least two of the party are continuing all the way south to South America, I'm headed back from Panama (If I get that far) about the middle of December.
    Please respond if you want to ride with us/me. All are welcome, but a bit of planning is required, so let me know.

Itching to ride!

Mark Renew
    markrenew@hargray.com
    Tel (843) 816-4662
    :eek1
  14. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Roads will be mostly paved but poor - potholes, speed bumps etc - Many roads are as good as in the US, but can turn to sht the next mile down the road :)
    Will need some vaccinations - must have yellow fever. I also have Hep A and B, tetanus, malaria and typhoid. Rabies and MMR optional. - Not required for Mexico
    Need special vehicle insurance - wading through that. Mexico requires a security deposit $200 I think. - The vehicle permit is about $27, cash deposits range from $200-400 depending on year model, CC will work in lieu of cash deposit and not charged if you canel the permit
    International drivers license - US drivers license is OK
  15. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    I have a question ftom those in the know.
    You could theoreticaly cross over into Mex. without hitting a border check station. What would happen if they caught you , and how would they know you did not croass a check station?
  16. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    You can ride right thru most Mexican border stations and never be stopped. It's a constant flow.

Depending on the border, you can run into another station x miles down the road where everyone is stopped.

You're required to have a Tourist Card for for x miles inside the border, and that x is different for many states. There are also different requirements regarding vehicle permits by-state.
  17. mikechill

mikechill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, our little group is starting to confirm up 100% for a trip to Mexico. First there is myself Mike Chill Dyer In. 05 DL-1000 V-Strom, John in Milwaukee Wi. Triumph Trophy and Dan Ontario Canada BMW r1200rt. We will meet up at my place just outside of Chicago on Dec. 9th pack the bikes into the truck and head south to Huston Texas. There we will meet up with JR on his Triumph Tiger and head south on the bikes into Mexico, Hoping to meet up with Dan GS1200 ADV along the way.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--> Currently our thinking is to do a central route through the mountains then go some place warm for x-mas and end up in Nashville Tn. on Jan. 3rd. Anybody with suggestions for a route please gives us some ideas. We would be glad to meet up with anybody interested in having some fun along the way. Mike C.[FONT=&quot] :freaky[/FONT]
  18. rmarkr

rmarkr Squatter

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    It looks like you guys had more fun on your previous trip to be legal. Please let me/us have some contact info for a possible hook up down south and an inside track to those good rides.
    And LoneRider - thanks for the input - much appreciated.
    See you on the road - or off the road - better still.
    Mark
  19. utahrpm

utahrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, don't mean to hijack the thread but I suddenly don't have to be anywhere until Dec. 13th or so. Thinking of taking off right after Thanksgiving (could possibly go earlier if required) for 18 -20 days. Trucking my KTM 640 Adventure to San Diego. Some camping, some motels, mostly good dirt roads, but some mildly challenging ones too. I've done 17 self-guided trips to Baja since '94 so I know my way around fairly well, although my Spanish is STILL only one step above useless! Looking for an easy going type who doesn't mind stopping for photos and note taking (I'm working on a book). While we won't be doing any single track, sand and roughness are a reality so your physical fitness, riding skills (and machine) need to be up to it. You certainly don't need to be an expert (I'm certainly not), but this isn't a newbie trip either. Some long days, mostly moderate days and hopefully a bunch of non-riding beach days with a Corona. Definately going as far south as Mulege/Loreto, possibly further, and plan to see both coasts. I'm not into the McDonalds scene in Cabo. I'm a 53 year old Airline Pilot and a lifetime rider. If you've never done Baja before I do have strong opinions on how it should be done so as to have fun rather then misery. (I've had both) This is too short of a notice for my usual group so I'm looking for new friends. Thanks.

Rick
    Give me a call at 801-718-1986 to discuss.
  20. Tama's Tigre

Oddometer:
    Mike, it's a go! Got my full coverage Mexican insurance through http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/ :clap

All they asked for was my DL, US insurance, and title/registration info... no faking, no permission letter, no fraud, no problem!

See you guys at my place in Houston on December 12 for a campfire... BYOCigars, I'll provide the brewskies :freaky