1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ride Mexico this winter, anyone?????

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ADVDAD, Oct 11, 2007.

1. srileo

srileo dot Indian snakecharmer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be starting from San Francisco on the 18th of December and will be riding down Baja and on to Mazatlan and central mexico - Durango, Guadalajara, Guanajaoto, and thereabouts and looping back to the SF in the first week of January. Short trip. this will be a warm up for further adventures later in the year.

I will be riding a Weestrom. No spanish skills to boast of, though i am listening to audiobooks and i am experienced enough in other languages to know how to get by. My previous long trip was from Florida to San FRancisco early this year.

My journeys so far have been by myself, but i also value the camaraderie and the safety aspects of riding with a buddy. Am very easy to get along with (isn't everyone? ;-), My only priorities are to ride safely on good roads (i have zero dirt experience), take it easy, stop frequently for photographs, and yes - to enjoy mexican cultures.

If you are interested in joining, do email me.

Wish you all good luck and sunny skies in mexico! Hope to catch you there!
    Shridhar
  2. elmontanero

elmontanero Practicing...

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting to head to Mexico too... I'm in San Diego and will be free of the job (school teacher) on Dec 20 at 2PM not due back till the morning of January 7th. I'd love some company.

On either a BMW F650 Dakar (preferred) or the 1150GSAdventure depending on riding style sought. Thinking mostly camping and some hotelling. Mostly Baja but open to other ideas that fit the time frame.

No Spanish but trying to cram.. Anyone else up for this? Last ride report can be seen below.
  3. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the exact days off. Plan on heading down on the 21st and crossing the border on Sat. the 22, on an '02 Dakar. If you want to partner up PM me
  4. elmontanero

Oddometer:
    You have PM...:lol3

Anybody else?
  5. psychsurf

psychsurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, this looks like a place to toss the hat in.

We're going to be riding mexico as well, and would love to join some folks. We'll be on street bikes, so no mud for us. We bring to the table LOTS of mexico driving experience- in cages-, probably close to 50k between the two of us, a couple dozen (at least) border crossings each, and fluent spanish skills. It'll be our first major motorcycle trip of any kind, however.

Our destination is to visit family and friends in Jalisco. Our route will be either San Antonio- Monclova- Durango- Mazatlan- Vallarta (or Sayulita)- La Manzanilla (on coast, 1 hr north of Manzanillo), or San Antonio- Monterrey- Zacatecas- Guadalajara- la manzanilla.

We hope to be departing san antonio no later than Jan 21.

Maybe some folks with lots of motorcycle touring experience can take advantage of our mexico experience for a mutually beneficial arrangement?

By the way, I've been finding this useful for route planning. The only major online map site that will map out a mexico route is www.mappoint.com. It's slow and the user interface sucks compared to google maps, but at least it's willing to map mexico roads!
  6. Tama's Tigre

Tama's Tigre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buddy (amigo), thank you so much!!! I went to mappoint, and found it most helpful.
    I owe you a :freaky

PS: by the way, I live in Houston, and my December Mexico trip plans got dashed. I'm also going to try to go in January now. Your time frame may be a little too late in the month for me. I also have family in Mazatlan & Aguascalientes.
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you guys have some idea about how cold its going to be around Monterrey, Zacatecas, and anywhere else at high elevations.
  8. psychsurf

Oddometer:
    Good call, Acejones!

Temperatures in Monterrey in dec/jan average between the high 40s to the low 70s. Rainfall is negligible.

Zacatecas from mid 40s to mid 50s, rainfall again negligible.

Durango: high 30s to high 60s

Mazatlan: high 60s to high 80s

Guadalajara: 50 to 70
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget; those are just averages. It can be much colder.
  10. psychsurf

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I know, I've caged it through there a bunch of times. We'll have our cold-weather gear packed. As I remember, those desert-y areas warm up considerably in the daytime, too.
  11. rmarkr

rmarkr Squatter

Oddometer:
    Well, I leave early tomorrow (Friday 30th) with Goran, should get to the Mex border early Monday.
    The plan is to ride all the way south, fly back out of Buenos Aires on Jan 10th.
    Anyone want to buy a F650GS in Buenos Aires? (used only by a little old lady to go to church)
    I'll post some progress when and where we can.
    Long ride!
    [​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  12. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You might want to post this over on www.horizonsunlimited.com
  13. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for one more person to fill a trip on a 2 week Baja Adventure, 4 guys over 50 doing From Tucson crossing Mexacali / San Felipe / Gonzaga / Coco's / La Bay / San Francisquito / Viscano / Luguna San Ignacio / Mulege / Jake's Place La Paz / Ferry to Topolobampo / San Carlos/ Magdelana / Tucson check out www.zmwadventures.com for more info.
  14. elmontanero

Oddometer:
    Zmoto.... Does this belong over in vendors?

Are you arranging a ride or doing business with this post?
  15. fastblad

fastblad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I AM ALSO PLANNING ON TRIP FROM MIAMI TO MEXICO. but i will be leaving miami on the 21 of dec. if anyone interested in meeting, please pm and i will send you my contact information.
  16. rogersboyz

rogersboyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for riding company to Baja.

I'll be leaving LA on Dec 17, crossing at Tijuana mid-morning, destination Mikes Sky Rancho that night. Next day Gonzaga Bay, then Bay of Los Angeles, then San Quintin, then back to LA in time for weekend Christmas parties. I've been down there several times, Spanish is pretty weak. Riding an Adventure 950. I would like to be off the road by sundown, staying in a cheap motel, eating a good dinner with several Cervaza's and telling stories.

Glad to have good company for all or part of the journey.

Jeff Rogers
    Irvine, CA
  17. Roboter

Roboter Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I'll be departing one of the eastern border crossings in Texas into Mexico December 18th and continuing on into Central America and South America. Anyone want to meet up for part of the way? Let me know if so! Its much safer and I have some Spanish.

Roboter

My ride report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279870
  18. rogersboyz

rogersboyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are going into Mexico on its mainland East side. It will be tough for us to get together, as I only have a week to play.

Good luck.
  19. klr matt

klr matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two of us will be leaving Kansas City sometime between Xmas and the first week of January. We will probably be on KTM 950's. We would welcome anybody that wants to ride along, we have no schedule except that we can only be gone about 3 weeks. Also would like to find a place to store our bikes in San Diego for a while.
  20. r2adv

r2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three of us will be leaving from College Station Texas on Dec. 27th. (we'll trailer down from Wisconsin)
    Border cross is Matamoros
    Head along the coast to Tampico
    Central Mexico to San Cristobal
    North and east to Chetumal
    Back through Belize to Tikal
    South to Antigua and Atitlan
    then back trough Mexico

Anyone planning to be in that neighborhood from the 28th though Jan 10th let me know. We're riding GSs.