Ride off center stand?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by quietglow, Aug 30, 2021.

1. quietglow

quietglow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My new 74 R90 has a ride off center stand. In my 2 days of ownership, I have already begun to dislike it. Not having the wheels off the ground means no makeshift bike lift. Worse, on my concrete garage floor, it's super hard to get off the stand any way other than actually riding off it. If you try to lift it off normally, it slides.

Two questions:
    1. It is very much possible that I am missing something. If you like ride off center stands, please tell me why.
    2. If I opt to switch back to the stock stand, is the job a pain? I imagine getting the springs in place is no easy task.
  2. raywilson

raywilson Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's a Brown's ride off. My S had one too. And i felt the same about it. I swapped w an inmate for a stock stand. The springs are a PITA but very doable
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    The big problem with the center stands is usually the frame tabs it bolts to. They bend and the threads in the tabs get stripped. There are fixes and some have welded reinforce tabs that last longer. The stock stand does it too but the Ride Off is harder on the tabs.

If the tabs are straight and the threads are good proceed. Now the question now is which year stand works best?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. Disston

Oddometer:
    The Ride Off was made by Reynolds.
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    What size tires are on the bike? The correct sizes or oversize. My bike came with oversized tires, 3.50x19 and a 120/90x18 and I experience the same sliding(especially on my lift) as you do. If I hold my bike upright with the center stand down, it doesn't touch the ground. It rests on one side or the other of the stand when sitting.
  6. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never had an issue with my Ride Off stand, whether taking it off while not riding it off. As Dissten said the issues with all center stands is typically what they connected to on the bike being bent, or missing springs, or things like that. This link is to Duane Asherman's BMW website, a fantastic resource and it has the installation instructions posted so you can take a look and see what the issue might be: https://w6rec.com/reynolds-ride-off-stand/
  7. quietglow

Oddometer:
    Oh interesting. So if I have the correct size tires, and the mount is in good shape, the tires should behave like a normal stand? I'll take a look tonight.
  8. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Ride off on my 81 R100RT and love it. I have the correct size tires and the correct ride off stand for that bike. Both wheels are on the ground, if I need height I put a piece of 2x4 under each leg of stand. This stand is very stable in wind and on asphalt as opposed to the OEM stand. It's a love or hate thing I guess. 177K and never a problem!
    IMG_1946 res.jpg
    kenstone, korinthias and Solo Lobo like this.
  9. quietglow

Oddometer:
    Oh well that is a fine way to handle that issue. Do you put it on the stand first, then put a block under each side? Do you have any problems with getting it off the stand without actually riding it off?
  10. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had ride-off stands on several airheads, and had to use the old 2X4 under the stand trick when servicing the bike....
    JMforPres likes this.
  11. brg

brg 1977 XT500, 2000 ST1100, 1995 r100r Mystic

Oddometer:
    I like the stock stand too. I've never had a problem popping it off the C/S while sitting on the bike. That's how I do my st-1100, and it's a 700 lb. pig at standstill. I've never been comfortable taking a bike off the C/S from the left side, I like to be straddling the bike. I guess it's one of those "whatever works for you" things.
  12. Disston

Oddometer:
    The way I get my Ride Off onto blocks of wood is first I use two blocks, one for each leg. With the bike on the stand I push it over to one side and slide a block under that leg. The I go to the other side and push the bike over and again, using my foot, I slide the other block under. Have tried various contusions to do this. One leg at a times with two blocks seems to work best for me.
    spo123 and Texer like this.
  13. Disston

Oddometer:
    Something that has been alluded to several times. Both the stock and the Reynolds stands have various versions made for different years. Many of these stands can or can be made to fit different years. Sometimes this is an improvement and sometimes it's not. The stock stand we can usually identify from a pic, no number stamped, or I don't think there is a number. The Reynolds stands should all have a number stamped somewhere. If you can find the number I think there is a list that tells what bikes it's supposed to be on. Just an idea.
  14. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Like Disston says, the Ride Off stand was originally made by Reynolds in Salt Lake. Reynolds made a number of accessories for BMWs of the 70s.

Being a BMW mechanic of that time,... I hated the ride off stands! I only would think of them as an inexpensive replacement for a damaged stand and that's all. Any time I bought a bike with a ride off stand fitted, I would replace it with a stock stand as soon as one was available. Course, I've seen many stock stands get bent by folks trying to "ride off" them. They would rock forward, give the bike some gas, then the bike would rock back and start to damage the stand and stops. Mind you, after I've pulled the ride off stand off, I never had trouble finding someone willing to buy it and just give me their old stand.
    raywilson likes this.
  15. korinthias

korinthias slightly behind the curve…

Oddometer:
    Snowbum, as one might anticipate, has more information on Reynolds products than can be readily assimilated in one or even several sittings… Here’s a link to the page on his site.

I went through a phase wanting a ride-off stand for my ‘no-buy’ ‘83 RT (opinion voiced in a different Snowbum commentary), but the likelihood of picking up a #R-348 here in the UK, is exceedingly remote!

Here’s page from a Reynolds catalogue, via the aforementioned guru:

91CF871F-E1ED-46AA-BBEE-18F9FD92FB57.jpeg

If you can locate the number on yours, you can work out if it’s right for the machine…
    spo123 likes this.
  16. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Hell, I've tossed wood under the stock stand a few times to get the bike a bit higher when working on longer term projects. Usually with a strap on the stand to make things a bit more solid.
    globalt38 likes this.
  17. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lift one side and use my foot to slide the 2x4 under then go to the other side and do the same. Reverse the procedure to remove. What I really liked over the years is having the bike fully loaded with camping gear and not having to figure out how to get on it without lifting my leg crazy high.

001.jpg
  18. Disston

Oddometer:
    I like my Ride Off that came with my R90 Twenty years ago but I will probably go stock someday, not sure why. I do use the ride off feature some times and I think that is cool as can be. Nobody else ever seems to notice how cool I am.
  19. korinthias

korinthias slightly behind the curve…

Oddometer:
    …but it is a widely accepted fact, in this domain!
    Texer, BJMoose and Disston like this.
  20. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made a ride off stand from my stock '81 c/stand about 7 years ago. I did it by limiting how far over centre the stand could go.
    Most excellent when the bike is fully loaded with camping gear.
    Front wheel 2-1/2" off the ground.
    It's easier to get the fully loaded bike on the stand than with nothing on the bike.