Ride off center stand?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by quietglow, Aug 30, 2021.

1. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I have Reynolds Ride-Off stands on half of my bikes, only because they came with them. I've never ridden off one. I much prefer the stock center stand. I'd trade or sell mine if anyone prefers them.
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I had one on my no-buy '83. I replaced it with a stock one for that year and found out why BMW was issuing Ride Off stands to '83 owners. Put the ride off back on. Hated it till it finally went away on the rolling chassis.
  3. thetubespoke

thetubespoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never worked with a "Reynolds Ride-off," but it seems like there's a lot of unfavorable (and some favorable) feedback about them. I don't like the idea of the bike being even lower down with the tires touching or closer to touching. I like being able to check bearings, including steering, from the center stand to one degree or the other.

I have been able to "ride off" some center stands on some Japanese bikes keeping my feet on the pegs. I'll say that it's pretty fun.

As far as difficulty getting on the bike, from the left of the bike I like to put my left foot on the left peg, then stand up on that peg and get over. I also do this at times for getting off. Very useful if you have bags, tall dual sports, etc. But if you trip yourself up, you've got a long way to fall.
  4. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I never use the centerstand unless I am doing some sort of service or inspection requiring wheels off the ground. The blocks of wood trick never worked for me, bike is way too heavy. and I'm not going to carry blocks of wood with me everywhere. On a trip, I'm self contained. The bike was also pretty tippy on the ride off stand. 3 points define a plane, not 4. And the ride off makes it 4. On 3 points one is always planted no matter the ground. On 4 the bike wants to rock around.
    raywilson likes this.
  5. atlthrux

atlthrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate the ride off stands. I have one for a /7 and another maybe for an older RT. Someone can have them for the cost of UPS shipping. Or to continue the "airhead parts are overpriced now" theme, you can have them for $100 + shipping each.
  6. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    I love my ride off stand on the '80 R 100T. Easy on and easy off. I wish I had one on my other bikes.
  7. mark2wheeler

mark2wheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw a reference to snowbum.If you search snowbum bmw you'll get to his website.Tons of content and he is an extremely interesting guy.What a life he's had.
  8. quietglow

quietglow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been a few weeks with the bike now, and I am not liking the stand any more than I did at the start. If anyone wants to do a swap, for a stock unit, let me know (74 R90).

Putting a couple of pieces of 2x4 under it to get the tires off the ground for maintenance jobs works great -- thanks to those that suggested that.

My main problem with the stand is that the only way I can get the bike off of it on my concrete garage floor is to ride it off. If I push it, it skitters. Sometimes I want the bike off the stand and don't want to start it. Sometimes (my recent driveline issue, case in point) the bike can't be driven, and I need it off the stand. Even more annoyingly, sometimes it skitters when I am riding it off in the garage. If I park in the wrong place (i.e. with something too close in front) this could be a problem. All that for a benefit I don't think I understand. Maybe if I was heavily loaded for touring, it would be handy.
  9. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    As you're standing next to the bike, just put your right toe in front of the ride-off stand and deploy the bike as if it was a stock stand. Works for me.
    Disston, 100RT and Solo Lobo like this.
  10. LonerDave

LonerDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sometimes slide a wooden carpenter's shim under the stand from the front. Provides enough resistance to keep it from sliding forward.
  11. quietglow

quietglow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, Crazydummerdude's suggestion has been working perfectly well, though I have modified it: I stand with my left foot in front of the stand and push forward using my leg on the head (if it's not warm) and the handle. No more trouble getting off the stand w/o starting it. I occasionally even ride it off too! I still don't think it's as handy for doing maintenance (putting it on blocks is somewhat of a pain), but I am seriously thinking about getting a lift anyway.
  12. NDGuerre

NDGuerre n00b

Oddometer:
    I just put my left toe in front of stand and roll bike forward when on seat. Only need to when on slick concrete
    100RT likes this.
  13. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to try the crazydrummerdude method for my ride off. In the garage i hoist it on a piece of carpet. That give enough resistance to rock off.

Ferries are a bit of an issue with the metal deck.
  14. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Why do you use the center stand when traveling? For that matter why use it for anything but service? I see many bike pics here and the bike is on the center stand, I don't get it.
  15. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ferries float, and arent necessarily stable enough for the hair trigger side stand.
  16. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Ah. The self retracting airhead side stands are a known nightmare. So people are using center stands because they no longer disable or replace the dreadful side stands?

The wide three point stance (sidestand and two tires) is far more stable than the center stand (two points 7-8" apart and one tire).
    raywilson likes this.
  17. Hennepinboy

Hennepinboy Adventure Eater

Oddometer:
    This posting came at a good time for my bike build.
    I purchased a basket case '80 R100RS that came with a bunch of extra parts.
    I have a stock stand that has been powder coated by the PO, has never been on a bike after powder coating. The tang was broken off and never replaced before powder coating. I can weld on a replacement.
    The bike came with a never used Reynolds Ride-off stand. The paint on the stand is flaking off. Needs to be repainted.
    I was leaning to installing the Reynolds stands, I change my mind after reading the post and am going to install the stock stand.
  18. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    One reason is to eliminate that beautiful cloud of blue smoke that seems to happen occasionally when your around a lot of non BMW riders.
    crazydrummerdude likes this.
  19. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    One of the problems with riding off the stand, is that when you give the bike a lot of throttle and feed out the clutch, the rear of the bike will rise just enough to cause the stand to just skidder along instead of folding it up.
    raywilson likes this.
  20. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never had the problem, that usually occurs if the bottom on the stand is worn flat.