Ride report...f800gs...first impression

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 3Rugrs4GA, Mar 7, 2009.

1. 3Rugrs4GA

3Rugrs4GA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took delivery of my BMW f800gs this afternoon and spent 3 or 4 hours getting intimate with her! I am just getting back into recreational riding after an 18 year layoff (way too long, what was I thinking). My impressions and opinions are not comparative to other new bikes, rather they are just opinions of this bike.

I logged 135 miles this afternoon. All 135 were "easy" miles though suburban sprawl, sub-divisions, and rural roads. I did not push the bike because I am a nOOB (conservative approach) and I want to follow the Beemer's recommended "run-in" requirements. Most roads were single lane two-way....some that were wooded, and some through farmlands.

Handing Impressions - After just 20 miles I found myself thinking this motorcycle was just like riding a bicycle...you know how they say "you never forget how to ride a bike". I was extremely comfortable after just 20 miles and 30-40 minutes in the saddle. Although this bike is much bigger than anything I drove 18 yrs ago, it feels extremely nimble, meaning I had no problem moving the bike side to side with my arms, ass, and legs. I cringed as I came upon a few seams, dips, potholes, but the big 21" upfront coupled with the forks soaked them up and instilled confidence.

Bike/Equipment Impressions - This bike provides instant power in every gear as long as you are holding the RPM'S at the right level. Gears 3, 4, & 5 have tremendous range and tons of power with a slight twist of the throttle. Shifting down from Neutral into 1st and up from 1st to 2nd provides a positive click...kinda like I was accustomed to from many years ago. However, upshifting into 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th is buttery smooth, so smooth that I found myself consulting the gear indicator on the OBC to make sure I executed the shift completely. The brakes are phenomenal! Slowing down and/or stopping in a short distance is easily accomplished...something you don't want to get used to doing, but nice to know you can stop when you need to.

Other Stuff - I read so many reviews over the past few months written by journalist and/or forum participants regarding seat height. I am 5'10" with a 30-31" inseam and can tell you the bike fits me perfectly with the low seat option. The gauges and OBC are highly visible and intuitive to use.

My overall impression of this bike is very high...it is well constructed as all parts fit and line up properly, the engine provides a ton of power with and extremely smooth delivery. Not to mention, the bike sounds great and turns a lot of heads.

It's 9:30 pm Sat on the East and I hope to be riding by 9:30 am Sun....just 12 hours from now....oops...I mean 11 hours from now...we lose 1 hour of sleep tonight (unless you live in AZ). Anyhow...I have about of 1/3 of a tank of gas that needs to burned up early....I can't wait to log another 100 or so miles tomorrow.
  2. Dert Gerl

Dert Gerl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new ride! :clap
  3. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up. You're getting me interested.
  4. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It only gets better from here. I really like my F8GS and it seems to just get better and more fun on every ride.

Thanks for posting your first impressions. Have fun tomarrow!
  5. CYPKCntrl

CYPKCntrl Ignore Alien Orders

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Long time lurker and first time poster - I figure it's about time I actually did some participating. Congrats on the F8GS! I picked mine up less than 2 months ago and have put just over 1200 km on it so far, and I have to agree with the previous poster - it only gets better. This bike was a replacement for my KLR, and I have to say that there's really no comparison. I find it much easier to ride than the KLR - amazingly nimble for a bike that's 100 lb heavier. I recently took it up one of the local logging roads (heavily potholed with some nice muddy ruts) and was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled even with the stock Battlewings (25 psi probably helped a lot!). I can hardly wait to get some knobblies on it. The only "downside" is that it's definitely turning into my little German mistress - she loves to have money spent on her. Oh well - the joys of farkling.

Have fun!
  6. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    F800GS = Best bike in the world: gets better every time you ride it!!
  7. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  8. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I never know where the road is going to take me. I fill up before every ride.
  9. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I rode a demo for a half hour back in October. I was impressed with everything about the bike.