ride reports sent me to Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by coug66, Aug 23, 2008.

1. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    My thread was a tribute to the power of a good ride report. Your report affected me enough to make this ride report happen.

I wanted to give credit where credit is due.

In my opinion the supreme compliment to a report is that it influenced another to try it for themselves.

Hopefully my report will contribute to sending someone to experience Costa Rica.

After your report I searched the ride reports and all the others were positive but your report was 85% of the motivation I needed to go myself.

There are 7 People on this trip ( counting my brothers wife) that ended up experiencing something they wouldn't have without trip reports.

I want to motivate others to spend the time putting trip reports together ( kind of a pain in the ass) as they do inspire and hopefully create a legacy.

one milestone acheived over 1000 views of this thread!!!!

Ian
  2. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    Where are they now???

Bill and Mike still look like this today, some suspect they are beyond help. They may never loose their CR smiles.

[​IMG]

Michael is still wondering if this is the best birthday meal he has had or ever will have?

[​IMG]

Sean is either working out or working hard, I think he is working on his new business idea of turning pants into "sleeping bags for siamese twins"
    [​IMG]

Tom is making sure he never looses his ability to relax. He is probably having a cold beer right now. Tom after many years just completed his Masters in "Cooler Management", Good luck Tom on your PHD!!

[​IMG]

And Pete is back at school determined to apear like the serious adult.
    Pete practising being serious for his students.

surf cam Nosara beach. Surf cam shows the surf viewed by us sitting on this log.

surf cam here

[​IMG]

Core 4 on the 4th annual!!!!

[​IMG]

My next restoration project??

[​IMG]

and me well I'm still addicted to this thread someone please pry me away from this damn computer!!!!!
  3. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    This is short video with motorcycle action helmet camera.

GoPro video cam. my brother took the DVD (he did for the group) and condensed it to a shorter version.
    :clap
  4. Pockethead

Pockethead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sweet vid man, top quality footage, quite a nice little camera that one
  5. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    "When we got to the other side Punteranus I figured that Spanish words aren't far from English. I just don't know what the Spanish meaning was for Punter? Punter "Anus"!" Qoute

Dude, it's Puntarenas, not Punteranus.. Gringo!!! :rofl

Great ride report, I love Costa, and you guys did it right.
    You gotta get in the heart of it.
    How are the ribs?
  6. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    After being away for a month or so I sure miss Costa Rica. I suppose its the stress of work and life compared to the carefree atmosphere of CR.

I sure miss my time there.

MY ribs: I think what I had was a seperated cartlidge. The ribs have healed pretty well in the last 4.5 weeks. My left arm is generally trashed ( football ) but it doesn't hurt to breath or laugh:rofl !

Thanks for asking.

Ian
  7. Wild Rider

Wild Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sound like you had it all: Small tasteful family hotels, sodas and restaurants with excellent meals, no overcrowded beaches and bars. And of course off road riding in the rainy season with mud and river crossings.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks a lot for your great riding report!<o:p></o:p>
    Great photos and snapshots!<o:p></o:p>
    You demonstrated that it's not necessary to book a $300 hotel in the dry season to have a good time in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Costa Rica</st1:place></st1:country-region>.<o:p></o:p>
    Side note: Written by Q from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Costa Rica</st1:place></st1:country-region>! The reason for disappearing and reappearing so unexpectedly during your visit were my simultaneous tasks that I had to take care of! You and our new mechanic that couldn't be left alone and still needed some training! :rofl
    [​IMG]
  8. ChangoGS

ChangoGS Banned

Oddometer:
    Hot Tica [​IMG]
  9. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Surg

Surg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report guys!

Thats one place I must go!
  11. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report coug66. Thanks for taking the time and sharing. :clap I also did a CR trip some years ago in August and would do it again. Much cheaper and no crowds.
  12. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    10 day trip all inclusive eating and drinking everything I wanted. traveling on a DR650 with support vehicle. Staying in very nice hotels.

Airfare $630 Continental SEA to SJC
    Hotels $370 double occupancy
    Bike rental $460 avg bikes and jeep together and divided by 6.
    Food & Bev $370 (lunch and dinner and drinks)
    Misc $300 Cigars, gifts and ?
    $2200

or $220 a day all inclusive ( airfare, food, rental and drinks )
  13. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    Grear RR Ian. Useful to have the price info. Makes it much easier to decide "Could I, shall I?". Wild-Riders.com sound like good people to go through.

I have "bookmarked" The Day&Night and Las Piedras chicken...
  14. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    Wife and I are going to celebrate our 20th in CR, looking to build another bike trip before my wife fly's down.

Spend a 5 days or so riding and then pick the wife up from the airport :clap

Maybee have a few days carryover?

Sean and Tom were my groomsmen and Pete was my best man. We would be able to have 5 of the wedding party at my 20yr celebration.

Tell the wife that the bike trip is just an excuse to have the boys there to relive the wedding day? :evil
  15. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    The Costa Rica bike trip not going down in 2010. Still doing the 20th with the wife but no bikes, maybee a quad rental in Mal Pais.

The trip to Montezuma would be fun on a quad. Plus the wife can drive her own quad. My daughters could ride a bike but not the wife.

As for the Core 4, everyone decided the money would be better spent next year and I have a $300 credit on American Airlines which I can use next year. :)

Ian

We needed this suzuki for crossing the river.

unbelievable how deep this jeep can handle.

Suzuki Samari jeep crossing

Our gear would get a little wet and I am not sure how they waterproofed the stereo but it would be perfect for CR.

Ian
  16. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really nice review... I'm from CR and I did that same route but on my car, with my GF and her 5 years old... hoping to do it on my bike ...

You missed Ostional, turtles arrive on September every month, for about 3 days.. you can see literally hundreds of turtles coming to the beach and leaving after their eggs are buried.. too bad you missed that..

You guys saw everyhing that is worthed seeing on that part of Guanacaste.. but there are a lot of more places to see, South Pacific .. the Caribbean .. the North of the country and the volcanos.. :bow

Thanks for putting this together and share it.. :thumb
  17. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    I am heading back this August with the wife for a Anniversary trip!

Thorsten is taking care of me ( very reasonable rental of a Terios)
    Casa Romantica ( reasonable rate )
    Playa Carmen Beach hotel ( very low rate ) doesn't include breakfast but hey if we decide to sleep in, we don't pay for what we don't use.

Tree House in Samara, standard rate for a beach side room ( will be there for two nights).

Esentially doing a 4x4 trip vs a bike trip :clap .

Planning on another Bike trip there next year!

Ian
  18. coug66

coug66 Coug66

Oddometer:
    Went all over had a great time.
    we had a great time. Stayed longer at the tree house Samara. Met the owner this time will stay there even longer next time we go.

Found some amazing restuarants and the beaches were still as pristine as we remembered them.

Ian
  19. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well, it's all about the fun !

Glad you guys enjoyed !
  20. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer: