Ride South! ⬇️– In Colombia! San Francisco to Patagonia on an R NineT & HP2 Enduro

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by caliform, Nov 25, 2015.

1. caliform

caliform Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buenas dias, fellow inmates! It's a cold morning here in Santa Barbara as I sit here writing this, a map of Baja on the table next to me and my buddy's bike in pieces in the garage.

'We' is yours truly, Sebastiaan, and my great friend and much better rider Stuart. We're both photographers (Stuart is also a video producer by trade, me a designer).

[​IMG]

(the kind folks at Rev'it kindly outfitted us with full-on space suits for this expedition! We'll be reviewing those on our own website)

At the moment, we're stationed at Stu's aunt in Santa Barbara, to fix up some last things and enjoy Thanksgiving with his sister. We rode out with a bunch of friends, all the way down the Pacific Coast Highway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice variety of bikes!

[​IMG]

We're two days from riding to San Diego, which makes it three days until we drive through the border at Tecate. If you have tips for Baja, Mexico or any part of our ride please let us know!

We'd previously ridden from San Francisco to Prudhoe Bay:

[​IMG]

(I am still updating that Ride Report -- I simply hadn't gotten around to it. But I will finish it! I hope this is OK to have two reports going at a time... if not mods, feel free to remove :'( )

It was an incredible ride. In fact, I think me and Stuart agree that we'd never simply felt so alive as we had during that trip. After having reached the top of the continent, we've been naturally moving our ambitions South... and concluded we have to ride down to the Southernmost tip we can reach.

Thus begins our Ride South -- we'll be riding for 3-4 months, upon which we'll briefly return to SF for a stretch of video / photo editing and work before we return once more to finish the job.

Next: I'll introduce our bikes and setup for this ride! :norton

We'll be updating here, on Instagram, and our website as well.
  2. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Following here and on Instagram.
    caliform likes this.
  3. caliform

Oddometer:
    Regarding Baja, we're currently looking at this route, though the Southern approach of Mike's Sky Ranch here looks like it'll be too challenging for us on our big bikes. We'll see. Input welcome! (of course we'd join the 1 by cutting through Coco's)

[​IMG]

After that, follow the 1 down and we'll see where we go from there...

Anyway, the bikes!

SEBASTIAAN – BMW HP2 ENDURO (2007)

[​IMG]

Sebastiaan’s new bike (he previously rode a Ducati GT1000) is BMW’s lightest-ever 1200cc bike. The HP2 Enduro wraps a seat, tank and some suspended wheels around the hex-head engine from the well-known R1200 GS adventure bike, but leaves behind excess weight and any electronics.

Modifications include an expanded capacity HPN gas tank, crash bars, valve covers, luggage rack, side cases, passenger pegs, an aftermarket seat, improved front lighting, upgraded suspension and a small windscreen.

The bike was purchased from an ADVRider member in Joshua Tree, and in true ADVRider tradition you can read about Sebastiaan’s short ride from Joshua Tree to San Francisco here.

STUART – KAWASAKI KLR650 (2001)

[​IMG]

Arguably the most versatile and well-loved bike on the planet, Stuart’s nineties-red KLR650 has previously taken him to Alaska, and many other places. He first acquired the bike in 2014 in San Francisco and has tricked it out since, with a throttle lock, luggage carrier and custom-made Pelican side cases, subframe reinforcements and several reliability improvements like the famous doohickey replacement.

He's currently trying to replace the bearings in his rear wheel without too much luck, so he's having that done at Moto Loco here in Santa Barbara (or Sanny Barbs, as I like to call it).
    young1, 10ecjed, Dan Diego and 2 others like this.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is gonna be a visual treat! Thanks for taking us along and best wishes for a safe journey :thumb
    caliform likes this.
  5. RA40

RA40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck will follow you along the ride. I would be happy to meet you at the Nicaragua Border and show you a bit of Costa Rica, I will be in the region until end of February.
    caliform likes this.
  6. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I'm working on a ride next spring (ignore the title typo, we're going in 2016).
    There's good advice on that thread- I'm listening to everyone since I've never been down there before.
    For a great place to stay, Mauro's Posada in Bahia de LA is on Air BNB.
    Inexpensive, and since I stumbled across it on Air BNB, I've seen it pop up in other ADV ride reports.

[​IMG]

We'll be trucking to San Diego and then riding down and back in a week, on street bikes- ZRX1100, ZRX1200, Superhawk, and a Bandit 1200.
    We'll be stopping overnight in Ensenada both ways.
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed your last ride, so I'll be following along on this one too.
    Update often!!

:super
  7. caliform

Oddometer:
    Thank you! :D

That'd be grand! My girlfriend might also be coming down for some parts of Costa Rica, and I am very much looking forward to that.

Excellent tips, and definitely -- when we have some connectivity I'll do quick updates, though expect them to grow more as we have some time somewhere like we do now. Gotta process and post those pics! Glad you liked our previous RR! :D
  8. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Hey guys
    Dont forget about me
    Im in for this adventure too lol

Have fun and ride safe boys
    caliform likes this.
  9. 175grams

175grams Old Town Outfitters, Antigua, Guatemala

Oddometer:
    It'll be interesting to see how the two bikes hold up against each other... both are capable machines. You'll have a great time and if you need any help/advice/suggestions in Guatemala, let me know. You're going to love Central America, it surprises most people.

Safe travels.
    caliform likes this.
  10. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing the hp2 go the distance, one bike I've always wanted to get my hands on. Goodluck and keep up with lots of those professional photos, lots of great opportunities down South.
  11. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    Caught upon the Alaska trip, Caught up on the Mexico, Caught up on the Instagram, Lets move it!!!
    caliform likes this.
  12. caliform

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - minor update: we crossed the horse at Tecate today. I need some time to edit and publish our gear post but for now know that we're in Latin America!

More solid update in a day or two when I can find a beach and I can shake a rather persistent tag-along friend of Stuart who has been causing some drama...

Enjoy this over the shoulder shot on 94 East to Tecate!

https://instagram.com/p/-pkLawAmbp/
  13. caliform

Oddometer:
    Oh hey I can attach photos? Sweet.

Attached Files:

14. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Simply Brilliant! Can't wait to see this thread come to life and run like the wind! :pynd

This is definitely in the planning for me but sadly I have to work this year to apply to that planning and then there is TCAT next summer... so much riding so little time and resources! :p3rry

Thank you so much for taking us along! I shall live this dream (for now) through your photography! Best of luck!

Unfortunately I have no riding tips, as I'm yet to come here by two wheels, but there are ferries leaving La Paz to mainland, which I am planning to take on my route. The locals here in Cabo confirm them. But I'm sure you know that.

IN!

>Sent from a hotel in San Jose Del Cabo, MX, work trip.
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    safe travels and have a great time.
  16. caliform

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, another quick update from San Felipe!

Riding gear

Apart from aforementioned Rev'It gear (decorated with our one and only adventure patch)

[​IMG]

we're rocking some hot-weather gloves and stiff, thick work/hiking boots with plenty of ankle protection as opposed to riding boots. We also pack some flip-flops :D

[​IMG]

We use SENA SMH-20 headsets in our helmets to communicate and listen to music… and podcasts.

Photo gear

Camera bodies: Leica M (typ 240), Sony A7RII, Sony A7S

Lenses: Leica 75mm f/1.4, Leica 35mm f/1.4, Zeiss 21mm f/2.8, Zeiss 25mm f/2.8, Voigtländer 12mm f/5.6, Konica Minolta (Leica) 40mm f/2.0, Sony 16-35mm f/4.0, Sony 70-200mm f/4.0.

(We’ll likely send a few lenses back – we had a few redundancies we weren’t aware of)

Video: GoPro cameras; two GoPro Hero 3+ Blacks with a variety of mounts and extra batteries. We use Brunton battery backpacks to record all day, using the ‘looping recording’ feature to capture any cool jumps, tricks, and bad mistakes alike.

Induro CT-214 tripod with a RRS ball head and a set of plates for all cameras.

Accessories: RRS Grip for Sony A7S
    Leica EVF for Leica M (typ 240)

Camping gear

Tent: NEMO Losi 3P (previously used in the Ride North)
    Hammock: ENO Double Nest w/ Kammok mosquito net
    Travel pillow: NEMO Fillo

[​IMG]

Stove: MSR Whisperlite mixed-fuel stove (excellent stove that takes many fuels)
    Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter

Tools

We have a complete toolkit which we’ll detail at some point. I have a bunch of Torx bits and wrenches since, you know, BMW.

Paperwork

Blank paper and pens
    Passports
    International Driver’s License (this can be bought at AAA)
    Copies of all cards and documents
    Document pouch (waterproof)

Misc. gear:

Maps: AAA Map (Baja California), National Geographic Adventure Maps
    Multi-tool: Victorinox Swiss Army knife, Leatherman
    Portable battery and compressor
    Rotopax 2-gallon spare gas can (two)
    and some actual, honest-to-god paper books
    Halen likes this.
  17. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, lots of camera gear there as to be expected seeing as you are photographers. Will be following along.
  18. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This one is unreal!
    dezertpilot likes this.
  19. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Well shoot! I'm in on this one too!
  20. Tex83

Tex83 Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer:
    Absolutely can't wait. Found you guys on IG (ryansharp76) and love seeing these images on a screen. You have an epic ride with more epic photos ahead and I'll be living vicariously through every minute lol. God speed gents!