Ride the Bradshaw Trail !!! (SoCal --> Feb 3-4)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Zen Slug, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If anyone is reading this, we started out today on what I call the freeway loop. Below is a quote from me when describing this ride:

"This is a single track that closely parallels the I-10 freeway. If you like technical, sandy, rocky single track; you'll like this ride. Unless you're God on two wheels, anything larger/heavier than an XR650 is too big."

I'm here to tell you, FlyinGo!!! is GOD. He made the whole loop on his KTM 950 Adventure. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap . If this wasn't the desert, I'd have found some water for him to walk on.

Most turned off and took powerline roads back to the trucks. FlyinGo!!! made the trail out and back. The 950 sounded beautiful and you could hear the tires straining for enough traction to launch a 500 lb dirt bike up the obstacles. That thing spit out more rocks (actually small boulders) and dust than all the other bikes combined.:eek1 :eek1 :eek1

I'll miss the Bradshaw trail ride and will be out there tomorrow night for the campout and then Sunday ride.
  2. jonz

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on the how hard the group parties the night before. Being the party animal that I am, tonight I'll have two beers and fall asleep in an hour or two. Tomorrow night, I might make it all the way up to 3 or 4 beers. I'm guessing 8:30ish for blast off time Sunday morning.
  3. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    Have a blast. Wish I coulda made it.:cry

On a happy note, I'm going to look at a KLX650r tomorrow. Hopefully that works out so I can make the next trip.:wave
  4. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Don't count me out yet .. I may make Sunday !!!
  5. jhank

jhank not too gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to leave here by noon tomorrow (Sat.) to arrive mid-afternoon at the camp. As I suspected I have to be back Sunday night for a Monday morning meeting.

Can I still get in on the BBQ tomorrow? Anybody still reading this? I'll at least try to strap some beer to the bike on the way in. Any suggestions on where to get it near the camp?
  6. jonz

Oddometer:
    If you don't want anything other than standard American brews (and maybe some Mexican ones), there is a big AM/PM at SR86S and Ave. 66. That's where you turn from 86S to head over to Hwy 111 to get to Gearheart's place. There is also a liquor store in North Shore a ways down 111 that I'm about 90% sure is still open.
  7. BetaTrialsGuy

BetaTrialsGuy D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer:
    CA desert in Winter / Traveling in Summer
    Nineteen riders showed up, and gathered at the Bradshaw Trail entry sign for a rider's meeting, led by Gearheart and Zen Slug. Three groups were formed; those who wished to go fast, those who wished to go slow, and all those in between. The ride east included several breaks, and got the riders to the small town of Palo Verde just in time for lunch. That leg of the trip was either 78 or 80 miles, depending on who's odometer you chose to believe.

After gassing up Some of the group returned by the exact same route, while some of the group took a southerly route out of town, known as the Opal Mine road. They eventually joined the others on the Bradshaw trail, and headed home. My odometer reading on the trip home was 79.7 miles (Opal Mine route.)

There were a couple of flat tires, and numerous gas tanks on reserve. One rider went down at speed, but continued back to the start without problems. One rider ran out of gas and was pushed the final several miles by FlynGo!!! (referred to above as God!) Pushing with an extended leg is no small feat, but this guy does extraordinary things with little fanfare.

Back at Gearheart's place there was an abundance of bench racing prior to the Tri-Tip barbecue. Great day! Great group! More tomorrow!
  8. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Well, it 5 a.m. and I am gonna head out. Bummed work took over my weekend, but I can salvage one day out of it.

Riding the 640 out from Venice, so see you in 3 hours of slabbin time.
  9. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks to Jonz for putting together Fridays ride. The ride offered up more than a few challanges! Here's a few pics I managed to get.

[​IMG]

Gerhart..
    [​IMG]

Elevator Junkie..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ZenSlug..
    [​IMG]

FlynGo (Dave)..was clearly the king of the day. He truly made it look easy on the 950
    [​IMG]

BetaTrials Guy lining up for a climb..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This hill gave several riders (including me) problems. Loose dirt took a few of us down.
    [​IMG]

And yes,..several of the bikes were not as pretty at the end of the day..
    [​IMG]

10 of us started the ride, 6 of us opted out before completing the Loop. Tough trail, but what fun!
    [​IMG]
  10. imgonnasnap

imgonnasnap Motard wrecker

Oddometer:
    What a fun ride! I had a total blast, riding both days. Im glad most of you guys could show up. it was great meeting all of you. hopefully we can all go riding again some time soon.:clap
  11. BetaTrialsGuy

BetaTrialsGuy D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer:
    CA desert in Winter / Traveling in Summer
    Day three was a 9 o'clock start that took the Bradshaw Trail 8 or 10 miles to the turn-off for Red Canyon. Great trail up the canyon. Lotsa scenery until reaching the flatlands, where we crossed I-10 to the north side and gassed up at Chiriaco Summit. Saw Eddie Mulder, the long time flat track star, while we were there.

From Chiriaco we followed some power line and circled a dry lake on the outside edge until reaching Red Cloud Road. We went back south under I-10 and Jonz found an obscure road to a very high mountain with microwave towers, for which he had permission to ride, and a key to the gate. The "road" up to the top was steep, and composed of marbles, making it a fun ride. The view from the top was extraordinary. We could see the Salton Sea and the mountains beyond, Signal Mountain in Baja, The Colorado river Valley, The Eagle Mountain Mine and some of Joshua Tree National Park. The I-10 Freeway had trucks that looked like gains of salt in a line below us.

The ride back down the marbled road was perhaps trickier than the ride up. When we got back to earth, Jonz took us up a rugged ravine to the Red Cloud Mine, where we explored for a while. Then it was onto a gas line road that took us back to the Bradshaw Trail. The 15 miles or so back home included a look at a pile of expended bombs from the bombing range that borders the Bradshaw Trail. Today's ride totalled 86.9 miles, and was a pure delight.

My odometer showed 265 miles for the three days of riding. My back, my legs and my hands and arms showed 265 miles of wear and tear that 265 hours of sleep may repair. I saw country that I had read about and heard about, and it's country that God made for dirt riding.

Thanks to Jonz for arranging Friday's tough ride and Sunday's spectacular ride.
    Thanks to Gearheart and Imgonnasnap for getting the ride going in the first place.
    Thanks to Gearheart for providing his family's property for camping and secure parking.
    Thanks to Zen Slug, who did a fabulous job controlling the ADVrider thread and summarizing occasionally to keep things in perspective.
    And Thanks to all the riders who showed up! This was a great group, and nobody, and I mean nobody, dragged any part of the weekend down!

LET'S DO IT AGAIN !!!!!
  12. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, gonna have to make this a yearly event!!!:freaky

Thanks to everybody who made it out... I will start the ride report as soon as I can think of a good name (suggestions anyone?:ear). I was thinking of something along the lines of:

"Bomb Hopping along the Bradshaw Trail":evil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. imgonnasnap

Oddometer:
    To the tune of "bombs over babaghdad" .... "bomb over bradshaw!" :rofl
  14. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    Great weekend guys!
    Had a blast, hope to see some of you at the Borrego Bash.

p.s. Between our online names and our real names, I am completely confused!
  15. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:

When is that :ear
  16. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    LINKY:deal

edit: looks like they've already closed the registration due to overwhelming interest

How you feeling today, Jon?
  17. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:

:ear :ear :ear :ear
  18. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    There was some bike-on-bike action during our Sunday ride and inte took a blow to the voicebox.:arg
  19. imgonnasnap

Oddometer:
    sounds kinky, what happened?!
  20. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    I'm fine - bike seems fine. Loosed up the triples & axle & everything seemed to straighten back up. Voice ain't there yet, but I think it's a little better than yesterday - bit easier to swallow now & I'm not tasting blood anymore.

All in all I think we both got off pretty easy considering- too bad no one got it on video...

...bombs, head-ons, exploding fire pits, 950 rock throwers... this weekend had it all.