Ride The Continental Divide With Gaspipe...et al...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Sep 7, 2006.

1. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Twenty-three years ago, on a wet June evening, crouched in a stand of aspen under a makeshift shelter fabricated from a lightweight poly tarp and a modified 1982 XT550, a lone rider spreads out a sleeping bag, while visions of the day’s ride drift through his thoughts. High atop the Grand Mesa outside of Grand Junction, CO, thunderclouds surrounded the area, affording a spectacular demonstration of electrical potential as the last traces of the Sun faded behind the silhouette of the Colorado National Monument.
    <o:p></o:p>
    His wet HiPoint boots were upturned over the bike&#8217;s mirrors, affording them some protection from the weather, while still allowing the boots to breathe. At least a little. A makeshift meal of noodles, beer, taco seasoning and beef jerky simmered in a foraged tin can at the fire&#8217;s edge, while the rider sipped the remainder of the six-pack of a little-too warm Olympia beer.
    Finishing off the last beer and the ad-hoc hobo cuisine, the rain started, drowning the fire and beckoning the rider to the shelter. The dull thrum of the rain falling on the tarp lured him off to sleep. Exhilarated, yet alone, wet and cold, it was at this moment that another adventure rider was borne.

&#8220;That&#8217;s how it all started&#8230;,&#8221; I mused to myself as I drove westward in a rental Penske truck, covering 2,400 miles to reach Coeur D&#8217;Alene, ID in two days. Jonz and Lasvegasrider were on a similar mission, heading north to meet me, where our ride to the start of the Continental Divide would begin.
    [​IMG]
    Life doesn&#8217;t get much better than crossing the country twice in a summer on primarily dirt routes. I&#8217;d worked my ass off for the past 20 years to get to this point, and now I&#8217;m going to really seize the opportunity and RIDE in &#8217;06.

I chose my &#8217;03 KTM 640 Adventure over my XR650R, primarily for the added fuel capacity and weight carrying ability.
    [​IMG]
    I camped the first night in Sioux Falls, SD in the back of the Penske truck. A light rain fell on the fiberglass roof, and I reminisced of that night of 23 years ago on the Grand Mesa once again.
    August 18<sup>th</sup>: Another day of driving and I was rewarded by color, somewhere near Butte, MT. Another night of camping in the back of the Penske truck was cold, dropping to near freezing.
    [​IMG]
    I arrived at Couer&#8217; D&#8217;Alene, and went back through my stuff, sending three boxes back home. Now, nothing to do but sit back and wait for LVR and Jonz, and the ride begins. I waited some of that time at the Outback, swilling back a couple Fosters (Molson), then snoozing at the empty rental depot, comfortably leaned against a dually.
    As lean and mean as I can make her. With a little luck and some throttle restraint, a half worn MT21 and a new Bridgestone ED78 should get me to Mexico. Maybe.
    [​IMG]

At near dusk, LVR and Jonz arrived.
    [​IMG]
    We unloaded LVR's Krusty KLR and Ol&#8217; Ironsides (Jonz's KTM), packed our gear up, and set sail in the twilight for Sandpoint, MT. I'd found us a motel for this night - it'd already been a couple days since I'd seen a shower.

We reached Sandpoint and Jonz snagged a six of Fat Tire. We celebrated the eve of my 42nd birthday as LVR sorted his gear. Soon after, the snoring began - many earplugs died a gory death on this trip.

And so, the ride officially begins&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.

[​IMG]
    ----more later----
  2. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap :lurk
  3. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    dang I hate you guys:rofl
  4. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    The most anticipated ride report in a long. long time. Bring it.

:clap

:ear

:lurk
  5. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's have it :tb

:thumb

7. Ibarra

Ibarra Viva Mexico !

Oddometer:
    [PAIN] according to the RoyakAdv Rider Fictionary means:

"Reading a fantastic ride report of a ride that you were meant to be a part of, but ultimately missed...." :cry

Bring it on! consider me a masochist!!!:eek1
  8. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
  9. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ddog

(I've been wanting to use that one!)
  10. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Alrighty :clap

:bmwrider Lets get this party started
  11. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Gotta let the other participants synch up before I start the ball in motion. We each have a lot of loose ends to clean up from being away for a couple or three weeks.

Patience.. :freaky

Still sorting pics :thumb

Gerardo - we missed ya buddy.
  12. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Ummmmmmmmmm WTF???????? :huh

you teezin us?????????:ddog ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm gettin hungry here:lurk

can't ya see me gettin old :gerg

:dizave

Hell No We won't go,,, give us the story
  13. markincyberspace

markincyberspace Where does this bolt go?

Oddometer:
    Screw fixing my bike for the moment....this looks loads more fun!
  14. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)

Don't dally too long. I get my bike Saturday and this board ceases to exist for awhile. :D

:wings :rayof :ricky

15. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    FYI - why the Penske trucks?

For some scientific reason, I got a 16' Penske cube van from Muscle Shoals, AL to Coeur D'Alene, ID for $425. I couldn't ride the bike there for that. Jonz snagged himself an equally good deal, and that was why I sourced out Penske to get there. Sure wish I had a buddy along with me (that means you Gerardo and LeeBob). :nono

Uhaul wanted a princely $2k for the same gig. :uhoh

So, if you wanna get to a place to start a one way ride w/o wearing out the chain, sprockets, tires, etc., check on Penske.

Now. On with the show.
  16. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Telephone call between Jonz and LVR, evening of August 16.

Jonz: I've got the Penske truck outside and 'ol Ironsides is loaded. I'll be on my way to your place tomorrow at 0:dark:30

LVR: Uh,,, tomorrow???

Jonz: Yeah, tomorrow. Just like we discussed in the emails.

LVR: Hmmm. click, click, click. OOOhhhhh, we moved the departure up a day from the earlier emails. (muffled shouts) HONEY, put on a pot of coffee and throw some Red Bull on ice, it's going to be a long night. (unmuffled conversation) O.K., I'll be ready tomorrow. Uhh, you don't have to get here TOO early. Oh, and you'll be driving.
  17. lasvegasrider

lasvegasrider To the edge of the continents

Oddometer:
    It was easy as a youngster on a cycle - gas n go, and work out life one tank at a time.. How things changed during the decades that followed.

I now live two seperate lifes, and at times, I have a sense that I am developing two seperate and distinct versions of myself. One life is all about the suburban world, its labors and goals of possessions and security. My other life is immersed in the activites of my youth with a taste for adventure, simple goals (find beer, find gas and the like) and direct involvment in the joyful pursuit of the next water crossing.

I am fortunate to have met, and befriend, many on this board, and after only a few years I have grown to appreciate the desire of most of the members to do more than weekend rides. It is easy to become a 'ghost-rider' with those that manage to make the trips and post them on this board, and I appreciate what a motivator those threads are, for all of us, to Make It Happen for ourselves.

I met Bruce while at the HU meeting in Creel, Mexico several years ago, and, well, we have worn out many tires while riding together since then.

We had made plans to do an Artic ride on our GS's in early June '06. We reconsidered our GS trip after we learned of Gerardo Ibarra's plans for late summer. The idea of doing the CD ride tied in perfectly with Gerardos plans, and the riders who were with us on our Baja 2006 trip liked it as well.:deal

Well, what started as a ride with seven riders became one with three, as Jan Marc, Lee, Kris and Gerardo succumbed to misplaced priorities.:huh

Jeff Jones (Jonz), however, remained committed to the ride, so arrangements went ahead - damn the torpedeos, we are doing this ride THIS YEAR as planned.

(more when I get off work and sort out Smugmug content)
  18. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    Nice summer hair cut, Bruce. :wave

We missed your visit earlier this year, dangit!
  19. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    :wave HiYa H!

The whiskers and haircut were about the same length :lol3 I didn't shave the whole ride, and by the end, I looked like an old, moldy orange. :rofl

Came through the AR border the day before yesterday up near Maysville on some lonely ol' dirt road.
  20. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    If you can do 2,400 miles in a truck solo in two days, I can 1,600 in a pickup solo in two (to get to the border to get to Creel). Thanks man! Now, on with the report …