Ride to Angkor Wat – Khmer Temple Trail – Chiang Mai to Siem Reap Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by zed cm, Apr 18, 2019.

1. zed cm

zed cm www.motogirlthailand.com

Oddometer:
    ..thanks all for the comments too ! :D
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! :clap
    zed cm likes this.
  3. markinthailand

markinthailand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @zed cm -- I've read on a few sites that Cambodia wants the motorcycle lights off during the day, and you can get fined for having them on. Are they still doing that or not?
    zed cm likes this.
  4. aboveangkor

aboveangkor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been living and working in Cambodia for 17 years.If you can call flying a microlight around the country work.
    The roads South of Siem Reap are better than the roads in the Northwest.The main road,number 6, was upgraded a few years ago making it the best in Cambodia.The first time I made the trip from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap fifteen years ago, the road was so bad it took 12 hours in a SUV.Now it's about 4.
    You were wise to slow down.Khmer are still getting used to the smooth new roads after 50 years of dirt.And the houses were built only a few meters from the road so dogs,kids,cows,water buffaloes,Chinese tractors,Rolls Royce, and of course motos,are everywhere.
    Cambodia is changing fast but they still use some old French driving laws,like the person coming from your right has the right of way.Even if they are coming out of their driveway and your on a national highway. Some cops will still stop you for using headlights during the day.Especially in Phnom Penh. But it's ok to drive at night with no lights.And no insurance.And no license.
    After all these years and half a million kilometers riding and driving here I still do a lot of cussing.Never a dull moment ! But that's what keeps me here.
    Burro driver and zed cm like this.
  5. zed cm

zed cm www.motogirlthailand.com

Oddometer:
    I taped up my light with electrical tape. I had many friends say I didn't need to do it, but I decided to do it anyway.
    I didn't want to give the police any excuse to pull me over or fine me etc.
    Apparently you can just tell them your bike is from Thailand (assuming it is) and that the lights can't be shut off, and they understand about it.
    However, I figured it was easy just to tape them up to prevent possible drama.
    Drybones and Lone_GS_rider like this.
  6. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Thanks -- good to know. I was thinking of just installing a switch on the headlight, but a cover would work easily enough.
    zed cm likes this.
  7. aboveangkor

aboveangkor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's more of a Phnom Penh thing.Not so bad in Siem Reap.Lots of the newer bikes have the always on headlights so you put on a cheap rocker switch.I just replaced my first switch after two years.True story: in Cambodia you can't drive with your lights on in the daytime but it's OK to drive at night without lights.Because driving without lights saves fuel.The person going the wrong way has the right of way.The person entering the road from your right has the right of way.May be the reason Khmer always get all the way to the right before making a left. For some of this we can thank the French.
  8. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    Came in late but really enjoyed the report. Great pics, fun videos and prose. I'm going to go take a look at your previous report, now.
  9. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    They do the whole "lights off at night to save fuel" thing in Burma too. Makes driving at night spicy.
  10. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Loved your report! Great commentary and videos. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together