Ride to Montana 2021 BMW MOA Rally from Massachusetts.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by russ4ru, Jun 15, 2021.

1. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody! My name’s Sergey, Im adventurer motorcycle, 4x4, craft beer and camping lover!

I’m planning my solo motorcycle trip to Montana from Massachusetts in late June ’21 to attend BMW MOA Rally in Great Falls, MT to see my old friends and make a new ones, test local beer and have some good time of riding!! This is going to be my second rally, first was in Lebanon, TN and I really loved it !! Thanks to MOA team!!

In the beginning, I should ride Trans Labrador Highway & Newfoundland in July-August of 2021, but unfortunately due to Canadian borders are still closed , I decided cancel it.. and postponed to maybe late June 2022 which is makes room for Montana trip.

I did a few long trips on my bike, but never post it here and documented any rides yet till now, so I decided to take a try and make a thread on this forum.. lets see how its goes…Don’t judge me too much guys..

Going to say this thread is mostly going to be a pictures thread, no big paragraphs. However, I don’t even know exactly if I can post something during the trip with the long day miles, time limit, and the lack of Wifi, but I will try it anyways ! Fingers crossed..

20210523-IMGL2580-1.jpg

Tis is my thirsty 2016 gs with 41,500K on the clock!! Bike serviced at dealer and ready to ride!!

IMGL2590.JPG
    Fresh set of tires TKC 70!!

IMGL2587.JPG

IMGL2588.JPG

Now about the trip: I have 11-12 days to play with, I know this timing is tight, but its rideable.

Im taking off on Saturday 19, planning to get there in 6 days. My buddy from Tennessee on KTM Super Adventure should join me in Custer, SD or somewhere in Nebraska, then we should ride through Bear Tooth Pass and stay in Red lodge for a night, then hit the rally next day on Thursday 24th. Planning stay only for two nights camping at the Rally, then head back home on Saturday in five days…Thinking on taking a ferry SS Badger if my tight schedule will allow it .

Whole trip.png According to the article from BMW MOA Magazin by David Fishbaugh, I created the GPS road in Garmin BaseCamp with all interesting roads need to take. Thanks David!! I Appreciate it!!
    If someone knows any good roads, Breweries, and any other things to see along my way let me know please!!
    lithodave, NSFW, CavReconSGT and 6 others like this.
  2. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    First day is going to be my longest and challenging day of my trip...Im planing on attending a "Saddle Sore 1000K in the 24 hours" !! This should get me to Illinois and
    closer to Montana :deal if I can make there. --- Its will be nice to have one on my belt!! :nod

Iron Butt.png
  3. Soil Sample

Soil Sample Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Michigan is craft beer mecca! You shouldn't be disappointed in any of the breweries there. Some of my favorites, Founders, New Holland, Perrin, Bells and Brewery Vivant just to name a few of the "bigger" ones. But here is a link to all of the breweries there. https://www.mibeer.com/Breweries
    russ4ru likes this.
  4. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    Nice!! Good source , it looks like few breweries on my radar !! Thanks
  5. SJ2017

SJ2017 What is this Adv riding?

Oddometer:
    Nice trip! will be riding the other way through some of your route from California to Massachusetts in July. Following your RR!
    russ4ru likes this.
  6. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will be riding to the rally from southeast Tennessee with 5 friends. We're leaving Sunday and arriving Thursday. I'll be on a red Harley Road King :D.

If you have the time the Badger is a fun way to cross Lake Michigan and avoid Chicago. My wife and I did it a couple of years ago on a two week ride around Michigan/Wisconsin. Enjoy.
    AdamChandler and russ4ru like this.
  7. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    Thank you!! I should be there on Thursday too.. may see you guys on the road!!
    Thanks for advice on a Badger
    Samspade likes this.
  8. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    This is going to be my sticker for this ride !!

IMG_0158.jpg
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a lot of fun - hopefully the heat won’t be any worse than predicted.

I’m planning to arrive Thursday as well, but via a much shorter route! Camping on Lolo Pass the night before. I’ll be the guy on the GSA - should be easy to find ;)
    AdamChandler and russ4ru like this.
  10. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    If I make to the Lolo Pass I know what I looking for ...GSA !!:rofl
    I'd rather be in cold than hot weather, hope for best!! Have a nice ride and camp!!
  11. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    Bike is packed and ready to go!! Cant wait anymore .
  12. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    it’s black, it’s got some stickers - you can’t miss it ;)

Looking forward to following your progress. I leave home Monday am but have to work that day and Tuesday before heading west.
    russ4ru likes this.
  13. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you get to Great Falls Montana and meet up with some other folks, you NEED to make a point of going down to the Sip 'N Dip lounge at the O'Haire Motor Inn for cocktails with new friends. Even better stay there, they have a pool! You are welcome in advance for this wisdomical advise. :D
    pratered and russ4ru like this.
  14. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    Day 1 was Just hack of the day 1,022 miles in 17.5 hours !! :rayof Wake up at 4 am get to gas station then realize I forgot Garmin InReach... went back home, gas pump was not accepting my card have to move my bike to another one, went on the road it was nice ride until road closure in Connecticut , spend some time to get around by back roads. Then was nice long ride hot and not, swimming in two big rains in Indiana then get to Ottawa IL for the night.
  15. russ4ru

Oddometer:
  16. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    IMG_0255.jpg

IMGL2741.jpg

IMGL2744.jpg
    AdamChandler and CavReconSGT like this.
  17. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! I’m ready to make a big splash!!!
  18. russ4ru

Oddometer:
    Day two from Ottawa IL to Grand Island NB 520miles . Nice hot ride and some serious wind on I 80 in Nebraska , meet my buddy Ruslan from Tennessee then we camp at Mormon recreation area.

IMGL2763.jpg
    Iowa

IMG_0296.jpg

IMGL2762.jpg

IMGL2761.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    CavReconSGT and pratered like this.
  19. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the pictures, KEEP POSTING
    russ4ru likes this.