Ride to Republic WA Thursday morning

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by engineer, Aug 13, 2001.

1. engineer

engineer lookee lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've arranged to meet the intrepid Mr. COB at the Timberline Cafe in Granite Falls, WA for breakfast at 7AM on Thursday, 8/16. We'll head over N Cascades Hiway 20 to the Republic Rally . All are welcome to join, or if you prefer a different breakfast spot in the north end, I could be persuaded.

I regret I couldn't make it to Stanley, but my rear tire wouldn't have made both trips (my Tourances are "in the mail"), and I'd already pre-registered for Republic. Should be a good time at the rally, and lots of fine roads to ride. Hope to see some of you there.

Via con Dios!

P.S. Here's the extended weather forecast. In other words, be ready for anything:

WAZ042-141145-
    EAST SLOPES NORTHERN CASCADES-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LEAVENWORTH...METHOW...WINTHROP
    330 PM PDT MON AUG 13 2001

EXTENDED FORECAST...

THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLEAR AND HOT. LOWS IN THE MID 50S TO LOWER 60S. HIGHS 94 TO 102.

FRIDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY AND BREEZY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. LOWS IN THE MID 50S TO MID 60S. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 80S TO MIDDLE 90S.

SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY AND COOLER. LOWS IN THE 50S. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S TO MIDDLE 80S.

2. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey, just got off the phone with Tommy, and the Rysers will be there. Tommy and James will be doing a slide show from their South America trip - don't miss that one!

Have a bone and a brew for Jean-Luc and me - we'll be Big Dogging up in Colorado!

:eek:
  3. Gyromaniac

Gyromaniac Betty Crocker w/ wrenches

Oddometer:
    Considering Republic . . . it'd be worth a trip just to sample some of Eric and Eva's exploding home brew.:1drink
  4. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As of last weekend the delays were only west bound on 2 just east of the trestle so they did not affect east bound traffic, and were only a minor hinderance west bound. The delays are about the same or less than when the trestle bridge was still there (the construction is to replace the trestle bridge).

That portion of highway 2 and I-5 south of it back to the Boeing ramp (526) is often backed up nonetheless and can be avoided by cutting over to highway 9 south of the 526 via 128th.

But it depends on times as traffic can get backed up on Seattle Hill (a very curvy and fun road) and many of the back roads in the area during morning and evening rush hours. Getting off at the Boeing/Everett mall exit and going north along the west side of I-5 on Broadway can take you into Lowell and then a very bumpy and curvy Lowell Larimer road which takes you back south to Seattle Hill road and then out to Snohomish/Hwy 9 two different ways depending on which way you turn when you get to the intersection of where Seattle Hill road meets this road.

General rule is avoid afternoon/evening rush hours in the area and you will do okay - 2-7 PM regardless of which way you go since you will be doing a reverse commute for the most part, i.e., Morning hours are okay as traffic is coming into town not out.

FWIW,
    LCB