Ride to the bottom of the Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AZuwere, May 8, 2008.

1. bbjsw10

bbjsw10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 You beat me to it, loved the sign. Pics and ride sound pretty awesome as well.
  2. Mil T

Mil T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We road down in May of this year.
    You need to go into the Halupai Inn there in Peach Springs. take your mc registration in with you to prove you are on a licensed street bike and tell them you want a permit to ride down. If anyone gives you a hard time continue to press them and ask for management. Use this forum site to show that they have issued permits to street legal MC"s in the past. There should not be a problem as they were going to send out a memo to all the employees to write the permits for street legal vehicles only.
    I would be interested if they did in fact write that memo or not.
    There is one woman there that just plain doesn't like the fact that we can ride down on our motorcycles. I don't know if she is still there or not but if you do get her and she says no then that's when you need to find the manager or someone else to deal with.
    Also the resterant there is really good. Especially breakfast.
    Good luck and have a great ride.
    Mil T
  3. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were there in April. Went in to the hotel wearing non riding clothes. Purchased 4 permits for 3 vehicles (2 dualsports & 1 SideXSide, all plated) from the gal. She never asked what we had and we didn't offer. :thumb

Thinking we had it made, off we went to the river. Not so fast! 1 mile from the river a middle aged Caucasian dude wearing faded jeans and T shirt and standing next to a beater Fort PU with a very faded reservation emblem on the door flagged us down. He told us MCs weren't allowed on the road, even if plated. We told him we had permits which he asked for. I demanded he show us some ID. Thing got a little heated at that point because I suspect he had nothing to show us. Eventually things cooled down and we showed our permits, however he remained unimpressed. After pointing out some of the many short comings to their policy and it's implementation he backed down a little and allowed us to continue on to the river. I strongly suggested that if he was going to be policing the are the tribe needs to provide him with some form of authorization/ID least he get his but kicked out in the middle of nowhere.
    :kboom

The fact is its a mess. You may or may not get a permit (@ $16ea). And even if you do have the permit you may still find someone blocking the road threatening to turn you around before reaching your destination.

There is a very small, primitive campground at the river but the Indians charge something like $25 per person/ per night! The rafters that take out there are hit with even higher fees.

I under stand their concern for dirtbikes and 4wheelers going offroad but I think all that would be needed would be to keep a record of the drivers license and the plate number when issuing the permit.

There was nothing on the permit nor any signage indicating the area was closed to licensed motorcycles. :baldy

The ride was nice but not spectacular, expensive and fairly short (1/2 day at most). Add in being unwelcome and hassled, in my opinion it's just not worth it. Many nicer places to ride and spend a few bucks.

The reservation could have a good thing going but there greed and short sighed policy ruined it for me.
    :puke2

Bruce
    bajaburro likes this.
  4. boyfester

boyfester Urban Explorer

Oddometer:
    My son and I did this at the end of 2 week road trip from CA to NV to AZ to UT to CO to NM back to AZ then CA in August 07. Unfortunately as every campsite was above 8000 feet this was our last stop and the temp was 117 degF when we got to the site. We only stayed for a couple of hours as we couldn't sleep (too hot). Beautiful scenery though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Hgable1090

Hgable1090 n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome right up and great information. would you do this road 2 up?
  6. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better yet, can you still do this ride?
    Hey it's, 2020, plus the virus,
  7. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    A guy in our group had his wife on the back. Yeah, some portions are sketchy.

It’s the rider, not the bike as they say.
  8. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me and a buddy did this in 2003--bought the permits----it was a ride of a lifetime for us.
    How many people can say they rode to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
    We got our permits----------I don't remember any other problems---but this was in 2003.

[​IMG]

My riding Buddy----Kenny Gibbons (pictured) died not long after this.
    I was back to Peach Springs one other time about 4 years ago in my Van--probably hauling my dirt bike to Baja ????? Stop at the entrance to go down and there sat an Indian in a pick truck checking permits.
    Of course I wasn't going down--just wanted to re-visit.
    [​IMG]

On this ride we had no idea you could do this----never heard of this-----we were at a motel somewhere in Arizona and the couple that owned the motel said you could do this.
    So we put aside any other riding and did it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little late, but a question: When you asked for his credentials, did the dude who stopped you say,

10. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect!!!
    Smiles

Any recent info on permits and rides into the canyon?