Ride to the Kenai, Make a 1/2 million$$$

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Wheeldog, Nov 15, 2008.

1. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Publicity and public Relations...AKrider
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
  3. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I will mark that down "don't go to Homer that weekend":puke1
  4. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Peanut Gallery and/or Rescue Service (if you fall in the ocean): Kodiakfrank, Spicy McHaggis, Colininkodiak, and last Cappy rides again.
  5. davidtn

davidtn I think therefore I ride

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see you guys don't discriminate against Harley riders...at least outwardly :poser
  6. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:

Think you would be surprised at how many of us on here own Harley's.:evil

Sooooooooooo are you involved in putting the event on, or did you just throw a grand down a rat hole?:scratch Haven't you figured out it is either a scam or just really piss poor planned?:eek1

Jim Puckett is well respected in the LD community. He speaks the truth.:smooch
  7. tiefflieger

tiefflieger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you get any reply to that? The whole deal seems fishy to me. No set, published rules on how the half mill will be awarded? WTH?
  8. davidtn

Oddometer:
    I appreciate that Jim is well respected in the LD community. I assume they'll get back to him soon.

I approached the event with a healthy dose of skepticism; firing a bunch of questions at them via email and telephone. They answered all to my satisfaction and I'm comfortable the ride is real and the prize is real. They are working with a PR Firm and a TV Production Company (credits include "Amercian Idol") and my understanding is you'll see a concentrated advertising/PR effort soon.

I look forward to riding in an event of a lifetime. If you're interested in participating, do your homework and perhaps I'll see you in Key West Florida on June 20, 2010. Oh and no, I'm not involved in putting the event on.
  9. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guess you are lucky. Beth came on another forum I hang out on and couldn't answer simple questions about the event and didn't come back. Maybe you can?

The rules say you have to spend 2 days in Key West before the start. What hotels are your room blocks in? Where is the "drivers meeting"? If the room blocks aren't set up now.....they probably aren't gonna be. Is there even a place in Key West big enough to hold the pre race banquet?

The same questions for Homer, AK. They told the city to expect 5,000 people on the 4th of July. The biggest banquet facility in Homer holds 300 people. Bet there aren't 2,000 hotel rooms in the town. Then add the fact the place is a total zoo on the 4th. Where do you think you are going to stay when you get there?:huh Where is the "bash" going to be held? The cruise lines set their room blocks up a year in advance up here.

The checkpoints are secret. While you have to sleep outside......maybe your support crew might like a hotel.:huh The checkpoints need to be large enough to hold 1,000 motorcycles and 1,000 support rigs.....then need a place for 3,000 people to take a leak. How can you come into any town with 3,000 people and expect there will be room for everyone? Especially if you are running off the beaten path. This needs to be set up well in advance. Why are the checkpoints secret? It would seem to me they would want a bunch of cheering fans there for the cameras.

I hear it's going to be on TV. Can you tell me what network is going to televise it? It is one thing to film the event......quite another to have a network televise it. It ain't gonna be on TV till a network has agreed to put it on.:deal

Where is the money coming from to put the race on?:evil Just a couple a things that are gonna cost big bucks. They are going to do drug a test on the riders. A piss test costs me around $70. They may get a discount. So figure a $50 piss test for 1,000 people. Figure a pre race test.....random test during the race and one at the end. Piss tests are going to be 150K.

Everyone in the race is going to be monitored with a GPS to make sure they don't speed and follow the route. The absolute cheapest thing out there is SPOT. You can buy a Spot for a hundred bucks, plus the costs of running it. Lets say they can get you guys set up with a Spot for $100 a person. Thats 100K for the riders.

All I have figured in is just 2 things the GPS deal and the drug test and we are up to a quarter of a million. There needs to be money to pay the film crew, plus all the checkpoints. Bet the logistics of putting this on are well over a million........that doesn't include the 500K prize moey. Do YOU know for sure they have the money to put on the race and pay out the prize money?:eek1
  10. davidtn

Oddometer:
    Wheely - I'm good with what I know about it so I don't need to justify why I'm entering. Do your own homework and make what you feel is the best decision for yourself. I do know that several of your assumptions are not correct...nonetheless, do what is best for you. Perhaps I'll see you in Key West after all.:1drink
  11. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll lay odds you won't see him in Homer. :rofl
  12. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey dude is your money......you can throw it down any rat hole you like.:deal Nobody that I am aware of on here is gong to enter. We are just using this thread for a chuckle. :D

Now if you want to come to an event that IS planned out, check out the D2D thread. Rooms are available now and the host hotel is set up.:freaky
  13. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well maybe not:huh.......wanna make some money???:thumbup

Since they are staying on pavement, it is pretty easy to figure their route from Fort Saint John.:norton

The way I have it figured we (Alaska inmates) can make more money off the riders than if we win the event.

Remember these guys can't speed at all (GPS's) will be watching every rider. Go over the speed limit you are out. They have to have perfect timing getting into the checkpoints. Got to arrive with that "perfect moment". Soooooooooooo that says they will have to travel in 1 large group.

Picture 1,000 bikes take on 5 gal of fuel......5,000 gal. Remember they aren't allowed to carry fuel cells.......on the Alcan so they can't make it between the major towns. Now picture the support vehicles.....about 25 gallons (give or take) to fill up.....25,000 gal. Most of them prolly can't make it between towns either. Now picture em trying to find 30,000 gallons of gas every time they need to fuel up. Since they know all they need to know.....guess they already know the spots on the Alcan where there won't be enough gas for this mob scene.:norton

Bet they will pay $25.00/$30.00 a gallon.......if they don't want to wait around a few days for the next fuel truck to come through.:poser I figure just 1 fueling we can take in around $900,000. I can think of a few GOOD places to park a couple tankers of gas along the way.:evil What do you think?:ear I'll talk to Fishers and see what they want to lease a double tanker.:evil

Maybe a food truck too??? Don't know of any place on the Alcan that can feed an extra 3,000 people along with the regular traffic.:scratch

Campgrounds can't hold all the riders so they will be sleeping along side the road........at least the bears will be well fed.:rofl Gotta be an angle to make money off that one too.:huh

Maybe we can get Fite to get 40 or 50 buses. Picture 5,000 drunks in Homer with no place to stay. The city will pay a premium to get em out of town. Ain't the Buckner Building in Whittier available???? We could bus em there.:dunno I think they would fit??:D Bet they would pay a premium to get back to their Vehicles in Homer the next day too. :rofl

Hmmmmmmmm........bet we could load a BUNCH a gps units in a super cub. They can fly slow enough to stay with in the speed limit.......gotta be an angle there to make bucks too.

Satellite phone rental???:D Cold, wet, hungry, out a gas in the middle of nowhere with bears wandering around........you know lots of em will wanna call their Mommy.:wink:

There has gotta be some other ways to "Cash In" on this deal...just need to think...we can make millions!!!!:deal :ear:ear
  14. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Well... they can always stop at Fireside to fuel up. :rolleyes

The heck with the food truck - how about a mobile bar? You know that there will be a percentage of them whose bikes have never passed a bar. :rofl

Y'know, if it's raining, they'll be looking for an overpass to stop under. Wonder how much it would cost to put up a stick-built overpass we could rent space under. :scratch

You got some good ideas there, I think this is just the beginning. I believe I'll check the wheel bearings on my flatbed trailer too, just to make sure it's ready to go. Lessee... wonder if I could make it into a double-decker. Hmmm.
  15. davidtn

Oddometer:
    You sure are putting a lot of thought into debunking the event...I think you secretly want to enter but you've backed yourself into a corner and won't.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h2EIIjJvScs&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h2EIIjJvScs&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
  16. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:

We are done debunking........now we are gonna make big bucks off it.:wings

Bring lots a pictures of ole Ben Franklin with ya.......we don't take credit cards OR Canadian money......even in Canada. :D
    What kinda beer should we stock for you in Jacks Bar?? :beer:jack
  17. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell, I'll make some money too-no one in the video has jackets or raingear or helmets or gloves, a couple of em don't even have pants! Barb
  18. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Barb,

Wonder if you could get copies of those YouTube videos to show on movie nights this winter. It would be good to have a little comedy thrown in with the other movies. :rofl :lurk :rofl :lurk
  19. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Does any of this remind you of a certain fiasco that occurred on the Dalton Hwy a few years ago? The carnage! :eek1 And there were only about 50 bikes on that ride. :poser

Do we make bets on the percentage of starters that actually make it into Alaska, or actual numbers. Or do we start at the Canadian border just in case none of them make it to Alaska. Maybe the wagering better start at how many can make it out of Florida just to be on the safe side. :oscar
  20. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Just when I think people like this can't get any stupider thay set the bar higher. Come on up you bunch of moron's I need a good laugh.:lol3