Ride to the Kenai, Make a 1/2 million$$$

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Wheeldog, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    We're going to make a fortune off the survivors. I know exactly where I'm going to park my fuel truck.
  2. davidtn

davidtn I think therefore I ride

Oddometer:

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words. I'm glad I could make your day by providing you the opportunity to declare your intellectual and comedic superiority.

I welcome each of you to visit Tennessee where I will glady repay you in like manner.

Hoka Hey.
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    David,

It is difficult to place any confidence in a man who displays a picture in which he is groping himself.
  4. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you expect people to say when you dump a non-refundable grand on an event, tell us how great it is and can't answer simple questions like what are the host hotels? What network is going to televise it? I am amazed at how clueless you are about an event you are going to run.:bert You should be learning every possible thing you can about this ride. You should know every detail before giving them your money.

In all our "jokes" we are telling you the truth (Ok the Buckner Building is a stretch:D). Go back and read them.:deal It is obvious everything we have been talking about has gone WAY over your head. You don't have a clue what it's like up here or what we are talking about. It's the minor details that make or break an event. The lack of simple planning on the Alcan and Alaska is gonna bite you guys in the AZZ big time. :arg

While I know you aren't going to Deadhorse.......this is what happened to a Harley group that didn't listen to locals about the Haul Road.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243128&highlight=Harley+Deadhorse

You refuse to listen to us about Alaska and the Alcan......nobody can handle your numbers. You "think" you have all the info. If you come.......we are gonna cash in on it......it ain't rocket science.:norton :rofl:rofl:rofl
  5. davidtn

Oddometer:
    Wheeldog - I'm a rider in the event...not the event organizer. You'll have to ask the organizers about TV Network deals and Host Hotels. I frankly don't care if it IS on TV. I don't care if there are host hotels. I'm participating simply because I want to ride in all 50 states before I'm unable to swing my leg over a bike.

What sweat is it off your brow if the whole thing is a hoax? None.

As far as refusing to listen to you about Alaska and the Alcan, that's simply not true. In fact, I'd appreciate any genuine input you all would care to share...Not the childish name calling and questioning my intelligence. You boys up in the 50th state are not the only ones that know how to ride the world.

I will admit that my initial posts were overly excited about the event and I was probably naive to think that other forum members would welcome fellow riders (regardless of bike brand) to their state. So for that, I apologize.

Take care and safe travels.

Hoka Hey
  6. JimNtexas

JimNtexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough.

Just curious though. Since aux tanks are forbidden how do you plan to handle those stretches of road that exceed the range of your bike? I do think this will happen several times between Key West and Keni.
  7. davidtn

Oddometer:
    Pay the nice Alaskan guys $10 a gallon for gas? :D Oh wait, I meant $20 a gallon.:freaky

I've got good information on stations in the lower 48 so I'm not as concerned about that. Not so good information on the Alcan Hwy stretch. I have a 6.2 gallon tank and get around 45 mph. Part of the challenge is to be resourceful. I'm not going to cheat but I am resourceful.

I see you're a Texan but not a Harley rider? Just curious as to your interest? I see your dream ride is Key West.

As an FYI, I cut my teeth on Hondas and have owned and/or ridden just about every brand out there. If it has two wheels, I respect it. For the Beemer guys on this forum, I've owned Bimmer cars for 25 + years, so I appreciate fine German engineering.
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    If you own BMW cars and you own Harley's you know about pissing money away.
  9. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only reason I mention the hotels and TV are to prove the lack of planning. This event is either really piss poor planned or a scam. The reason I care is so that others don't get caught up in the hype and loose their money. On the flip side as long someone clearly understands whats going on, and wants to enter....then that is their right.:deal

First off nobody has claimed to know how to ride the world.:nono We do know Alaska and the Alcan.

Get a copy of the "Milepost" at your local book store. It is the bible of the north. It will tell you where everything is on the Alcan.

You need to ride the top half of your tank for 2 reasons.....1. The station you plan on filling up at may be closed or out of gas. Things aren't all that dependable up here. 2. There is only 1 road. If for some reason (washout, forest fire, accident) it is closed you can't take an alternate route. You need to have enough gas to be able to go back to a lodge to hang out while they fix it. The "fix" could take a few hours OR a few days......you just never know.

When you get the Milepost check between Ft Nelson and Watson Lake. There are a few lodges there, most don't have premium gas. If 1,000 bikes and support vehicles passed through there they would drain everything (regular and premium) not to mention food. If you are at the back of the pack you may have to wait a day or 2 for a fuel truck to show up.:deal

If this thing actually came off with 1,000 riders.....to be safe..... you would need to have enough fuel and supplies in your support rig to get from Ft Nelson to Whitehorse. Then from Whitehorse into Anchorage.

Ok.....there is some actual info......see how we can make money with a fuel truck.:D Like I said before.......go back and read what I and others have said. Underneath all that sarcasm is the truth of what you need to know.:thumb

It was your arragant attitude that got people (at least me anyway:puke1) jumping in your shit......

YOU were the one who hadn't done any homework......at least about the Alaska end. You come off sounding like you haven't taken any major trips on a bike.

My suggestion is plan your own trip to Alaska. If the "event" comes off.....do it. If not do your own trip. I will still buy you a beer if you make it to Wasilla.:wink:
  10. JimNtexas

JimNtexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'm just like you. I'd like to ride Key West to Alaska.

I've done a Saddle Sore 1000 and several other long single day trips (500-800 miles) in the 18 months or so since I returned to riding. When I get on my bike I don't want to get off.

I often ride with a mixed group of riders (Williamson County Texas motorcycle meetup group) and have noticed that my girlie Ninja 250* seems to have about double the range of most of the Harleys.That's why a I ask about the range issue.

I haven't done any really long distance group rides, I find that as distance increases differences in rider preferences become more pronounced.

===================

* It also has a similar or higher power to weight ratio than many of them :D.
  11. davidtn

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wheeldog - That's the way I'm looking at it...planning my own trip. Of course only time will tell if the TV/Money/Etc. pans out. I've bet $1,000 that it will, and if not and I'm unable to get my money back - then stupid me.

Thanks for the book and other tips. And you know what? When I get up there, I'll let you buy me that beer. That'll be a fair trade for the $20 gallon of gas you're going to sell me, right? :D
  12. davidtn

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim - A buddy of mine and I are headed your way in the next month or so to knock off our Saddle Sore 1000 and depending on work schedules, may go for the Bunburner 1500.

I have to laugh about your "girlie" Ninja 250 because my son-in-law has one and it's a kick to ride!

As far as riding from Key West to Florida, why don't you make plans to ride with us? As Wheeldog said, if you're uncomfortable the event isn't going to happen, then ride it on your own. I'm going to bet you're not getting any younger (like me) and what better time to do it then now? :freaky
  13. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    BMW MAKES CARS TOO!!!??? WHEN DID THEY START THAT?:bubba
  14. davidtn

Oddometer:
    Well my car is only 17 years old with 275K miles and I've yet to have a major problem with it...guess I just haven't had the opportunity to "piss money away" on it yet.

As far as my bike, the only money I've pissed away on it was done voluntarily. And it sure was fun. :D

Would you care to share your money saving tips so we'll all be enlightened? Lemme guess, you bought a bike to save gas money riding to work. :lol3

Tag, you're it Friar.
  15. TrailDoc

TrailDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No discrimination here. Why do the Hoka Hey people discriminate against everything except H-D?
  16. davidtn

Oddometer:
    Relax...of course there's no discrimination here. You didn't see the grin when I typed it? :D

Any brand bike and those that ride them are OK in my book.
  17. friar mike

Oddometer:
    I have no money saving tips as a matter of fact SPEND!SPEND!SPEND!!!!!!!!!! I work on both for a living. I own my own bike/german car repair.:deal :1drink
  18. davidtn

Oddometer:
    It's all good Friar.

Take care and I wish you the best of luck :thumb
  19. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey you need to jump on the money making bandwagon with us.:evil They prolly can make it home on their front tire, BUT they are ALL gonna need a rear. Sooooooo......how long do you figure it will take to change 1,000 rear tires?:scratch

Maybe you should contact Hoka Hey and get some pre paid non refundable tire deals going. That way if it don't come off you can give your buddies some really good deals.:huh:clap:rofl
  20. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Man I didn't think of that :huh I have been on the good drugs lately.:stoned I will have to stock up on cruiser tires I mostly have D/P tires. And I will have to get Toddy back here from New Zealand to R&R them you up for that Toddy?:ear