Ride to the Kenai, Make a 1/2 million$$$

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Wheeldog, Nov 15, 2008.

1. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys... Make me.... Laugh my ass off! I moved up here with the same sort of naivety and ended up broke down and nearly broke in Beaver Creek:cry With some luck everything has turned out:clap Seriously, Tennessee, you should dig through the sarcasm and keep the advice contained within.
  2. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Key West will have no problem hosting the start of the run. City officials estimated 10,000 bikes showed up for Petersen's Bike Week last month, and even if that was high, there was room left over in the city for regular tourists visiting Key West. Alaska sounds problematic. I think the locals might be overwhelmed by several thousand middle class professionals showing up on Harleys and expecting outlandish services like flush toilets and meals that someone has taken the time to cook. The comments by the cheerful yet impoverished residents remind me of the faciliites I encountered riding in Africa, only the locals there were not actually proud of their lack of amenity.
  4. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :snore Happens every year. :lol3 :fitz
  5. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Our C of C is really looking forward to this event. They say many of the riders will be capable and expecting to camp out in a tent city. C of C is looking for a large boost to our economy. I personally will leave town the week of the event. I don't need to hear the loud roar of a bunch of HD's.
    We get enough out of towners througout the summer, without the need of additional influx of visitors.

That's my 2 cents worth. :clap :freaky

Charlie
  6. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested, there is a big article about the Hoka Hey Challenge in the Homer Tribune Sept 30 edition. The article says Hoka Key is a Sioux phrase which means "It's a good day to die". As far as lodging is concerned, one of the organizer quotes: " The people we anticipate arriving in Homer are savvy and capable of improvising. "If they aren't able to find a bed to sleep in or someone willling to let them set up a tent in thier yard, I'm sure they will accept the hospitality that's offered.

They have riders coming from "Austriala and China. C of C has made an ordinace to charge the organizers 10% of the expected costs of city services, sanitation and traffic control.
  7. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Just think of what will happen in Tok. the frist real town coming into Alaska that you mite be able to get something fixed.
  8. flybynitetours

flybynitetours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously a troll here, but I will bite.
    Having lived in Alaska for a number of decades, and travelled to Africa several times, the last time for a long motorcycle ride, I make the following observation that in Alaska we (in general) will not kill you for your cell phone as happens in SW Africa. Perhaps it is something we should look into.

Facilities are what they are, come in the winter if you think things are limited in the summer for a taste of culinary reality. Over cooked hotdogs in the gas stations are frequently the only "cooked" food available.

Season and weather changes very quickly at high lattitude and is frequently discounted by folks from down south, until they get here. Adverse conditions are common here, perhaps less so where you live.

The truth is, tourism compromises the local quality of life, so many in Alaska do not look favorably on mainline/industrial tourism. The local motorcycle community is very helpful and does not need to be insulted for being skeptical of yet another scam. rw:deal
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    No kiddin'. I don't know where he came up with some of this crap.
    'Alaska sounds problematic.' '... locals overwhelmed' ...'expecting outlandish services'... 'impoverished residents'...'locals actually proud of their lack of amenity.'
    WTF?! Nothing in this thread like that as far as I see.
    Hey, conchtroller, ya dumb ass Florida cracker boy.. :fyyff
  10. fugarwe

fugarwe Usual Suspect

Oddometer:
    This got posted at Teamstrange.com

"google THE GREAT BUFFALO CAPER by Maximillian Potter.
    he wrote a factual piece for 5280 DENVERS MAGAZINE.
    something everybody considering hoka hey should read."

Interesting reading about the organizer, Big Jim Durham, of the Hoka Hey and what he has been up to in the past.

Put that in yer peace pipe and smoke it.
  11. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to change the tone here, but I understand from his daughter that Wild Man out of Cooper Landing is planning to make the run. He's not an Adventur Rider but I'm guessing his life has been pretty much an adventure.
  12. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    Let me start by saying that I am very skeptical this event will ever take place but I will drive down to Key West to see who actually shows up to start.

Now, to address the Harley bashing and other naysayers. First off let me state that I have driven from Atlanta to the Arctic Circle in 16 days never exceeding 70-75 MPH. That is about 9500 miles with a 2 day stop in Montana to visit with friends. I did this on a R1200GS with a 225 mile range and never ran out of gas or got close and this was at the end of the season Aug/Sep timeframe. My current 2008 Road King can go 250 miles on a tank of gas easy. The rear tire on my Harley Davidsons usually last 13-15K miles so there will not be a need for 1000 tires in Homer or anywhere in between unless the riders in this event do not check their tire pressure or they leave with tires with higher miles on them. I have owned every possible brand of motorcycle you can think of and my newer (2001 +) Harley Davidsons are the most reliable and maintenance free machines I have owned. They just keep ticking.

If nothing else this Hokey Motorcycle Challenge will at least convince some older VETS out there to get off the couch and ride some. I know of many people that talk about a large motorcycle trip but few that actually do it so if this inspires a few to check that off their bucket list so be it. I have no doubt in my mind that this will never take place but I would like to see it exposed so that the VETS that are signing up for it do not lose their money so let's all talk it up as much as possible and point as many eyes to the event as possible in order to save a few their hard earned money.

This was a great read and I recommend it to all who are considering the half a mil in Alaska gold. http://www.5280.com/issues/2009/0901/feature.php?pageID=1513

Thanks to all the VETS out there for protecting us and serving and I will help any of you in any way I can along the way. I look forward to seeing you off in Key West and riding as far as Atlanta with you. :thumb

Alaskan's, If this event does actually happen I would not expect more than 100 to actually drive all the way to Homer so don't overthink your money making endeavors :evil The Harleys will make it but once the riders get to the rain and cold in Canada I have a feeling they will start dropping fast.
  13. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    I WAS READING THIS LINK AND THE NAME "BIG JIM DURHAM" KEPT TWEAKING ON MY BRAIN. THEN I READ THE DENVER ARTICLE AND IT DAWNED ON ME...I KNOW THIS GUY, HE HAS BEEN IN MY SHOP, THE DELAPIDATED SCHOOL HOUSE IN WHITEWOOD IS OWNED BY A FRIEND OF MINE, (SHOWED THIS SCHOOL TO FITE AND THE BOYS A FEW YEARS BACK)
    BTW IT IS A LOOOONG WAYS FROM BEING A MESS AS DESCRIBED IN THE ARTICLE. I WAS OVER TO THE SCHOOL SEVERAL TIMES WHILE THEY WERE CARVING THE THING. WOW, I HAVE WONDERED WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE WHOLE DEAL AFTER THEY LEFT, NOW I KNOW!!:knary :bubba
    BTW I CAN'T SEE THIS DEAL HAPPENING AT ALL, WHETHER IT'S ON HARLEYS OR NOT!!! BUT MORE SO BECAUSE OF THAT!
  14. davidtn

davidtn I think therefore I ride

Oddometer:
    Great post Mr. T. I'll see you in Key West, June 20, 2010.
  15. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You gonna ride up here regardless if the event comes off or not??:huh Hope you did your homework and figured stuff out for yourself.:deal First beer is on me if you stop in Wasilla.
  16. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    So Big Jim Durham is the principal organizer of the Hoka Hey Challenge? Who else is involved? Any idea how many challengers have signed up already? 14 days to ride to Homer from Key West isn't all that bad with an average of 500+ miles per day. I like a good challenge but would need sponsors to make it happen.
  17. davidtn

davidtn I think therefore I ride

Oddometer:
    Sure thing...I'll be there whether the event is on or not and I'll take you up on that beer!
  18. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    I can hear the Discovery channel narrator's voice in my head. If these heroic one of a kind pirates don't get this medicine to Homer on time all the kids in the orphanage will grow up to ride imported motorcycles :rofl
  19. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    For anyone planning on camping on the Spit or anywhere in Homer. I want to let you know what to expect. In July our daytime temp's generally stay in the 60's. Last summer we only had two days of reaching the 70's. At night you can expect temp's drop to 50's and perhaps the 40's on the spit. It can get chilly here at night, so I recommend you come prepared. For sure it won't be like Key West.

Have a safe trip. May the best man or woman win.

Charlie:ricky
  20. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben:waveHow you doing??? Gonna make it to DV this winter??:freaky