Ride to the Kenai, Make a 1/2 million$$$

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Wheeldog, Nov 15, 2008.

1. davidtn

davidtn I think therefore I ride

Oddometer:
    Much! Ha, it's all good.
  2. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    I don't understand people who ride without helmets or wear shorts and flipflops and go barechested in hot temps (men - not women). I always wear a helmet and also usually wear a bright safety vest on the highway, per my parents' request. My kids and parents worry about me and I try to be as safe as possible in my various activities as I don't want to put my friends through the agony of having to tell my kids I won't be returning home.
  3. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Naahhh. Been a freak most of my life, just turned over a new leaf lately, now in intensive training to be a grouchy old coot.
    AKcharlie will tell ya, I am the young-est crotchety old bastard he knows.
    Wife just sez I need a vacation, as far away as I can get, and she aint going.
  4. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Does your wife know my wife?:huh becouse thay are sharing note's
  5. ridemore

ridemore n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I have been looking at the Hoka Hey from a distance sience it first surfaced in 08 and thought it was on shakey ground. It really distrubes me to hear of others loosing their lives for what may be a big scam. While in Alaska earlier in June on a solo trip (GS Adv) I made the following post on another forum. I am new to your forum and have been lurking you till I took the plung and registered. Ride Safe, Gary

Hoka Hey alert

If you are in Alaska you still have time to get south before the Hoka Hey event riders reach the Alaska Highway.

Any of you that have looked at the Hoka Hey site may find the rules a bit vague; the following information is not listed on the web site and it may or may not be accurate.
    • If for any reason a rider is disqualified; at that time the rule violated will be revealed to the disqualified rider.
    • If competing in the event and you are ask the nature of the event do not describe it as a race or a competition like the Cannon Ball run. Instead compare it to the Special Olympics for Harley riders.
    • You will be disqualified for initiating a wave to another rider; it is permissible to return the wave to another big twin air cooled Harley rider. Caution; a lot of rice-burner cruisers look a lot like Harleys – it is safest not to return any waves.
    • If you are caught with a baffled exhaust system you will be immediately disqualified and stripped of your Hoka Hey colors.
    • If you elect to handcuff yourself to your bike while sleeping next to the bike to protect it from theft, that is acceptable; however, if after a beer or 12 you inadvertently cuff yourself to another competitors’ bike you will be disqualified. Note: If the other competitor does not see you and rides off with you arm and you are man enough to continue you may – Hoka Hey.
    <!-- / message -->
  6. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    I think they have the name wrong. It should be "Hoaxa Hey". Going to the store and pick another local paper and what it has to say. I've already heard it doesn't sound good.
  7. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hey Charlie, please keep giving us updates on your local observations. :brow

I'd still like to be down there mingling with the masses if it was sunny. Doubt I'll make it tho.

Have fun, Mark H.
  8. motorbike_mike1

motorbike_mike1 Gearhead

Oddometer:
    I find it interesting that Anchorage local Cliff Evans is pictured on their web site when you click on photo's. Cliff had a Kawasaki for years and use to try and push Barry's Buttons for a few years there. Must have finally bought a Harley.
    if they left when they said they did, there should be a hole bunch of them in town by now.
  9. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    From all I've read so far. The riders are not very happy. They say the maps were wrong. Check points weren't where they were suppose to be. We're not given GPS's as told they would recieve them. No one checked odometer before or after. No urnine test for drugs. The route was mismarked and checkpoints missing altogether. No kind of observation to ensure riders were following the rules. Many riders came in to the finish line and no one there to greet them, check them in or anything. No one expects any winnings to be paid.

All of the above is what has been written in the papers as stated by a few of the riders.

I won't voice my opinion, I may offend some folks. Let's just say I'm extremely anti HD. I will say this, as I said earlier. To me it should have been named HOAXA Hey.
  10. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any updates or additional information regarding Hoka Hey rider Mac Burrell? He is a LEO from Cordova and I saw a brief mention in a news article that he had some injuries to ribs, clavicle and leg in a crash (in Canada?). A Google search came up empty, though, for any additional information.
  11. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yay, I did my part for Hoka Hey!

I went for a little ride tonight and saw a couple HD's from SC and a chase truck with NM plates parked at Barnes & Noble. I pulled in as they were pulling out and they did a loop around the block so I pulled up to the truck and asked em if they needed to find anything. They said "no" that they were headed to Homer. They were headed westbound on N Lights so I said they were headed in the wrong direction even tho that's the way their GPS said to go. They accepted my offer to lead em back around to the Seward Hwy and they really appreciated it. I wish I coulda shaken the rider's hands as I still think it's quite an accomplishment for anyone who makes that long of trip. :thumb

I wonder how many other GPS's had trouble up here as a lot of em don't even include Alaska!

Welcome to Alaska, everyone. :D Your Far North Native American Indian Brother Mark H.
  12. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hauled a load of stuff from the equipment auction into Whitter today. True to form the weather was shittier in Whitter. :rofl

Saw around 15/20 heavily loaded Harley's heading south. While I am curious how this turns out......I ain't gonna get in the "mob scene deal". Traffic was bad enough today.....gonna be a real ZOO on the fourth.
  13. Juvat

Juvat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was shocked just on my commute home tonight. The traffic was twice the norm for the timeframe (1630):eek1

Glad I'm off tomorrow...
  14. CappyRidesAgain

CappyRidesAgain Nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    I thought GPS was against the rules :huh
  15. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    First Rule of Hoka Hey is that there arent any rules........
  16. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:

Yea: and the worse part is, the Headquarters is here in Homer. I hope the Spit don't sink under the wieght of all the RV's and hogs. I can't even go fishing. It's suppose to rain that will make more of a mess.
  17. CappyRidesAgain

CappyRidesAgain Nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    whats the second?

:hide
  18. flybynitetours

flybynitetours Been here awhile

Oddometer:

In my mind, not wearing a helmet is like smoking tobacco, or any number of other questionable behaviors. Pay your money, take your chances. Does everybody ride full ATGATT, probably not. I remember when AZ passed their helmet law back in the '60's, the Hardley types were wearing their helmets on one of their knees as the law did not specify WHERE you had to wear it. rw
  19. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Large number of American V-Twin riders in and about town.
    Lotsa good tales of courage, diligence,comraderie, stamina, TIRE WEAR, and sleep deprivation.
    Ugly rumour of the day is that the ( cough-cough)
    PAYOUT.... (cough- cough, Ahem...) the PRIZE MONEY....
    Ahem... chuckle chuckle the ....
    PRIZE MONEY ........
    will ( may ) be awarded at a later date in or around STURGIS, South Dakota.....
    ( at a later date, to be specified ........ at ... a ... later ..... date .......)
    That is of course if a rider can be found who actually QUALIFIES for the ( ahem ) prize money.