Ride to Top of the World on my GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by skd500, Sep 5, 2007.

1. skd500

skd500 SKuD

Oddometer:
    Hiya Folks,
    Did a ride from Bangalore to Khardungla and posting the ride pics link here. The writeup might take a while so will post up as it gets ready.

It is a kick in itself when I say, this was a ride from my Office (Bangalore) to home (Bangalore) via Khardungla, a round trip of over 8500Kms, passing through three highest mountain passes and different terrains, cultures, weathers and challenges.

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/skudnr12gs/collections/

We were in altitudes in excess of 10000ft for over 10 days, and mostly in 15000 range, but the GS behaved as if it was in plains and it was an awesome experience. It would start in the cold temperatues (mostly around 1-5 degree Celcius) without a hitch and the only issues I had was the Metzeler tyres and Vario boxes.

The tires went smooth like silk in these 8500Kms (mostly gravel and water crossings with some sand in a long stretch) and the I felt that the Varios will fall off any time. I am now looking at various options for both tyres and side cases. Any suggestions here? I think this is what I would like to buy and have zeroed in on atleast the side boxes:
    - Zega Side cases from Touratech (Is the locks a big issue? I read lot of storiers that you could open them with any keys; this is scary in India)
    - Semi Knobbies (need help with the brands here)
    - What is the life of these Metzeler tyres? My usual application would be 90% tarmac and 10% off and I think they are great for this.
    - I would do a trip like like this to mountains (mostly gravel, pebbles and stones), wherein this ration would change to 20% Tarmac and 80% dirt. Any suggestions on what tyres to use, which will last atleast 10000Kms?

Thanks and hope you guys enjoy the pics.. I know lot of you have done rides through Himalayas, but for those who plan to do this in future, please do not hesitate to contact me for any info or assitance.

Thanks and keep riding!
    Sandeep
    My R12GS rocks!! I love this baby :-)
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW!!!!:clap :clap
    Although I just browsed through some pics, I have to say I can't wait for your ride report!!! AWESOME!!:thumb
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    WOW, when was this. Did you happen to be in the Kullu region around last month ??
  5. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    The class of people who can afford a imported bike in india, i believe i have never come across someone who owns a GS. Congrats, I feel proud.