Rideforsmiles, Solo Australian to Africa Europe and Beyond, starting June 26th 2011.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rideforsmiles, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Mate being married is just a piece of paper that I'm signing I know it wont change me if it changes Ev which I think it will for the better if not she knows what the outcome will be. Now stop with the negative talk I've got some floors to mop and washing to do before Ev gets home from coffee with her girlfriends.
  2. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Congrats Sheldon! i wish you and Ev the best!
  3. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Sheldon, what are YOU going to do? I mean you can take up residency, you can get married, maybe even have babies, but will you stay retired? or take up a job? (I know, taking care of kids, cleaning house is a full time job).

I really think your not ending this motorcycle adventure, your changing style.
    Instead of running day in day out, following the warmth, your going to be a little more local, with more time between trips, spent at one location your going to start calling home. (sounds like the rest of us I think?)

How is the old F800 doing? with what you went through in South America I really did not think we were going to see the BMW again.
    MaNDan and Seenyah like this.
  4. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Congratulations Sheldon and Eva!

You certainly are marrying up in this endeavor. I'm sure you'll find plenty of adventure still, and you are super lucky to have Europe (and Eva) as your playground for the future.
    Seenyah and vintagespeed like this.
  5. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate and everyone

We will be sorting out our stuff out in Poland which allows me to stay here but still restricts me from the Schengen zone for a few months so Im locked in which is good it forces me to have a bit of a rest.

At this stage the agreed plan is for me to head off south into Morocco and maybe elsewhere for a few months while Ev works starting mid November then when it starts warming up head back again and then chill a bit more get organized for the Football world cup and my ride across Russia next year, hopefully Australia make it or that might change my plans a little.

There's nothing surer than time flies and ill be riding in Morocco and get ready for Russia before I know it. Ev wants her career I want to still travel and I'm lucky to have a girl that understands that and doesn't have a problem with it, actually if anyone had to spend as much time with me as she does and I said I was going for a few months you would probably be just as happy as Eva is :lol3:lol3:lol3
  6. Cariboostrom

Cariboostrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing....just amazing Sheldon! Well done mate. Congrats to you both.
    Danielle
    Seenyah and rideforsmiles like this.
  7. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Sheldon,

First my best wishes to you both. What is yot timeframe for Morocco?
    We are going there end if September fot 14 days. Perhaps we can meet and share sone stories and a beer...?
  8. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Sheldon,

First my best wishes to you both. What is yot timeframe for Morocco?
    We are going there end if September fot 14 days. Perhaps we can meet and share sone stories and a beer...?
  9. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Full time parent sounds hard work doesn't it, maybe there is a salt mine somewhere I can get a job might be easier or just get a nanny, one idea that was floated was getting into soccer/football coaching again in English here in Poland but that's something for another time, ill come up with some cockamamie idea to make money.

At this stage with Ev making pretty good money she wants to put money aside for me to travel so that's a great start, she had some of her own money when we were travelling but I've pretty much never let her spend a cent of it and after having a few disasters on the stock market which has set us back a little she's keen to take her turn in paying for some fuel bills which is great for me and my heading south for winter.

As for the F800 the cam chain is loose as a goose and you can hear it rattling like a demon inside the motor which it never did before those guys butchered it and its using a lot more fuel for some reason. I have no idea if that's the fuel pump they f&^ked around with, the cam bridge off the F700 they put in after the snapped mine in half or what but I have never got near optimum fuel consumption since and I'm down to around 280km range on absolute empty reserve from around 340. I know that doesn't sound much but its noticeable to me and is a bit of a pain and I sometimes wonder how much it adds to the fuel bill over all when you are racking up the miles. Its still running and hasn't missed a beat which is a bonus and the older it gets the easier it will be to source second hand parts to fix it, its starting to be an old bike now being a 2011 model with 160 000/100 000+ miles on it.
    vintagespeed, BillUA and VisionPilot like this.
  10. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate.

Unfortunately the deal for my residency here in Poland is that I'm able to stay here till its decided but under the same deal outside of Poland with my Schengen visa 90 days in 90 days out which even though it will be back dated means I'm locked in till around late October, November so will miss you down in Morocco, maybe next time. Have a great ride down there.
  11. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Clearly your valve timing will be all over the shop Sheldon, probably contributing to your lousy fuel consumption. Your main risk now would be potential mechanical intercourse between valves and pistons, I would have thought. All part of the adventure, carry on! :photog
  12. sages

sages Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any mechanical intercourse will be over in 120 seconds if past history is anything to go by :imaposer
  13. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Would it be a symphony or a cacophony? :D
    Cariboostrom likes this.
  14. sages

sages Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The minute waltz maybe? :photog
    The 10 second overture
    Cariboostrom and gperkins like this.
  15. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Hey Sheldon, cold be a bad O2 sensor. Pull the O2 sensor out the exhaust. Black n fluffy means it is running rich and 50 shades of light grey is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rideforsmiles likes this.
  16. Ironchef

Ironchef Warren

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Shelton, that's great stuff

rideforsmiles likes this.
  17. Ironchef

Ironchef Warren

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Shelton, that's great stuff

18. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer You bastards do you realise Im suffering post adventure ride depression, how about a bit of positive reinforcement and sympathy :lol3:lol3:lol3
    MaNDan, sages, vintagespeed and 4 others like this.
  19. sages

sages Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 120 seconds you could have a nap and dream about riding
  20. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    i'll bet you dollars to big macs that one of the cams is off a tooth (maybe both!) and that you're pumping it out the tail pipe..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.