Rideforsmiles, Solo Australian to Africa Europe and Beyond, starting June 26th 2011.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rideforsmiles, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Had a weekend away last weekend down to Krakow to see Kinga from "On Her Bike" fame. We stopped of in Wroclaw on the Thursday night and met up with all the local bikers down there which was really nice we were made to feel really welcome as usual. For r some reason or another I found myself chatting to Tess a local girl who had just ridden down through the Balkans solo and had other travel stories from South American and Cuba.

[​IMG]
    BillUA, SmilinJoe, Cloud-9 and 6 others like this.
  2. Brick Top

Brick Top Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy for you but sad for the Alpha males.
    SmilinJoe, Seenyah and rideforsmiles like this.
  3. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Wroclaw is a nice city if you ever come to Poland its certainly worth dropping in to see. They have all these little gnomes set out all over the city and it is a great excuse to go for a walk looking for them all. If you do visit drop up to the main church just off the main square you cant miss all the bikers up there they are a great crew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treadless, BillUA, SmilinJoe and 8 others like this.
  4. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    So the next day we rode to Krakow its only about 500 k's from Poznan so to break it up into two rides made it easy. We hadn't booked anything ahead of course but in the end lucked an apartment right near where we were to meet up with Kinga and the crew. You got to give it to the girl she travelled 28 000 kilometer's to strangle me, why am I so lucky, must be my devilishly good looks or that I'm just a wanker, either way I wasn't complaining with her hands around my throat.

We have a real nice connection with Kinga obviously with her being a biker, traveler and Polish Australian its always extra nice when we catch up.

[​IMG]

Better keep the ol ball and chain appeased

[​IMG]
    xfire64, BillUA, SmilinJoe and 7 others like this.
  5. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    So one of Ev's girlfriends is pregnant and wanted me to take some pictures for her, it was a nice afternoon in the botanic garden but its certainly not the wisest company for me to be letting Eva spend time with or she might get some crazy ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BillUA, SmilinJoe, Cloud-9 and 5 others like this.
  6. sages

sages Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the girlfriend is the one who is pregnant, how come your belly is bigger than hers? :imaposer
    rideforsmiles likes this.
  7. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sheldon, did Ev get you in the family way??
    JJ
    Seenyah likes this.
  8. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must say it was very kind of you to hold the broom while she finished her coffee!
    SmilinJoe and Seenyah like this.
  9. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    It was wasnt it, even more surprising than the fact im holding a broom is that im even on my feet and not lying down on the lounge :-)

She came home from working 10 hours the other day, id done nothing around the house of course and pretty much as soon as she walked in the door she comes out with you've done nothing, your a lazy bastard. How am I supposed to respond to that kind of criticism but say, yeah and your problem is, Ive been waiting for a massage all day thats doing something isnt it.

Needless to say Ev being Ev she just smiled came over snuggled up and I got my massage, what a push over. :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3

You have to look at the positives for Ev though if she ever runs off and has an affair the guy will only have to pick up his dirty socks off the middle of the lounge room floor before day 3 and shes going to love him and thinks he's incredible :lol3:lol3

Im just about to head down to the office to start the us getting married stuff, the poor things running out of time to escape. :D
    BillUA, SmilinJoe, Balanda and 4 others like this.
  10. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Asia actually joked about that, people are so unkind, its the medication im on hahahaha people will fall for anything if you say it with a straight face :jack

Not yet I reckon Ive got her 60/40 to my way of thinking but im not resting on my laurels theres more work to do on that front lol
    BillUA, SmilinJoe, Seenyah and 2 others like this.
  11. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    love the shots of the city. This town has an awesome sense of humor.
  12. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you posting Mate. How is the bike doing? Have you had her serviced?
  13. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Yeah its been good to be relaxing Im actually really enjoying myself doing nothing, not having to look for somewhere to stay every night or other night or wondering what town I'm even going to be in is really good at the moment, I did always say when I'm done Ill just buy a big comfy couch a big screen tv and chill and that's exactly how its worked out for now, I know I wont last to long like that but we will se how we go.

The bike is still going ok, I had I serviced it before I left to go to Asia so only done the about 8000 k's since then probably could be due sometime soon. The cam chain sounds bad though, its rattling something terrible, its a bit of a worry. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, just ride it till it dies I guess then fix it. Couldn't imagine how much it would cost me to take to a Bmw dealer to get something like that fixed, ALOT. I might go talk to the boys in the little dealership up the road, they were racers and had all sorts of bikes up there and looked after me last time and the labour was a hell of a lot cheaper than bmw.
    SmilinJoe and Seenyah like this.
  14. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    So Ev is off to work all day and then study for another 4 hours to futher her career and Im off for a motorcycle ride. Hey sometimes you have to strive to get ahead in life, in my case I'll just wait till it falls in my lap as usual [​IMG]:-) [​IMG]:-) braaaaap :muutt

It is cooling down now, 10.5 Celcius todays ride was a real ride of contradiction's, here I was riding my bike feeling free and alive and I was actually riding a few hours to sort out papers for Ev and I to get married here in Poland, GULP :cromag

[​IMG]
  15. steveloomis

steveloomis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have already answered your question of who to take it to. I would NOT wait to get the cam chain replaced. Much damage if it breaks or skips a link...
    SmilinJoe, Seenyah and tlub like this.
  16. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Just posted this in Facey so thought id share it in here with you guys as well.

Well today brought up a decade since my car accident that left me in intensive care holding my sons hand saying goodbye and to grow up to be a good man then against all odds surviving, going through a long and tough recovery to riding my motorcycle around the world through 92 countries visiting every continent from Antarctica to the Arctic circle and today riding down to Smeigel a small village here in Poland to sort out paperwork for Ev and I to get married.
    A classic case of sometimes you have to just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, set some positive goals and go about achieving them.
    It's been an interesting 10 years of life going to be hard to top it but ill give it a shot :-)

[​IMG]

And something a little more uplifting than wrecked cars

17. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good on ya mate! It's been great following your shenanigans!:clap
    JJ
  18. Cariboostrom

Cariboostrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to hear from you again Sheldon. I'm waiting to see the wedding pictures! :clap:lol3
    Danielle
  19. Balanda

Balanda No, I don't believe I will

Oddometer:
    Good luck to you Sheldon, enjoying your updates.
  20. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't wait until it fails. Look for a spare engine if you are going to do that :D

Talking of cold, Monday I rode through heavy rain, lightning, thick fog and hail. I also had the heated grips on 4 (highest setting is 6) between Guyra and Dorrigo. Nice little 500 km loop up the Gibraltar and back down Waterfall Way. Lucky the mountains were dry and fun was to be had but wow I could have picked better weather.
    Lucky there was a truck in front of me during the hail, his wheels cut a path for me through the hail.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.