Rideforsmiles, Solo Australian to Africa Europe and Beyond, starting June 26th 2011.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rideforsmiles, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    You got to slum it on these types of trips sometimes this just happened to be one of those days,

Attached Files:

2. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Had a real relaxing day today went for a swim in the hot springs spa it really is quite luxurious, anywhere else this would be classified as 5 star, im not sure what it is but its bloody nice.

Went for a walk up to the start of the Fish River Canyon not much happening here but still pretty nice. Might get a massage later but will see anyway nothing else to report other than met a few nice poeple over lunch, a group of young girls from a school in Cape Town travelling through Namibia with their teachers Dave and Niki. They had been rafting for 4 days along with learning about the geography of the place, what a great school excursion that is.

Anyway will move on tomorrow up to the Canon Lodge or the Canon Roadhouse ill see but Namibia plays South Africa in the world cup tomorrow morning so might pack up watch that with the locals, then nick off. Those places are only another hour or so away so not a big mission again, ill get there eventually, where that actually is I dont know but its somewhere.

The start of the fish River Canyon

[​IMG]

Plenty of camping spots to pick from

[​IMG]

Ahhhh relaxing in the hot spa someone has to do it so it might as well be me

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Had a pretty uneventful ride over to the Fish River canyon today was bugger all away so basically got up had breakfeast with Dave and his wife headed back to my room to finish packing and hit the road for the hour or so ride. Spent an few hours at the canyon its pretty spectacular for a big hole in the ground I must admit. The road out there was pretty shitty everyone was saying how good the dirt roads are in Namibia well the ones ive been on so far your not going to be wanting to be doing to much over 100 k's or your asking for trouble. Arrived at the Canon Roadhouse its pretty quaint :rofl at quaint anyone would think im edumacated, see what you've done Kimbo. Its a guest house in the middle of nowhere I was lucky enough to get the last room there was a hole heap of campervans up at the Canyon lookout and thay have booked all the campsites out and I got the last room so that was ok, I actually did think of keeping on going but everyone seems to stay here on the adventures through Namibia so im lobbing for the night. At 750 a night its pretty x'y but oh well if I knew it was that expensive I may of kept going but apparently the Canon Lodge up the road 20k's is over a 1000 so even more, thats getting expensive even for us Aussie with such a good exchange rate. By the look of the old group of old Euros turned up im guessing they wouldnt be haggling over cost there just out spending the kids inheritance.

Bumped into 2 couples travelling around I had met in the hot springs they had the ridgey didge set ups looked awesome yesterday I had said to them I was going to say it looks like you have everything bar the kitchen sink but they had one of them as well so that was no good. One of the couples had done alot of travelling im sure it would of been interesting to chat to them they had sailed around the world done Tassie and the east coast of Oz so travelled quite extensively hopefully ill be able to catch up with them one day on what they have seen, give or take a few years and I might.

So basically I did the Fish River Canyon today all in all pretty spectacular, tomorrow ill head off to Luderitz about 4 or so hours ride away on the coast.The temperature has been great for riding about 23 degrees celcius so great im sure it gets stinking hot here in Summer but this time of the year its pretty good. Oh nearly forgot met a few Germans, a solo guy on a bike in the middle of nowhere stopped and had a chat to Ahkmed he was from Colgne and had also flown to Nairobi to bypass all the crap in the north of Africa and heading to Cape Town, I also sat down when I arrived at the Canon Lodge and talked to another German couple who were heading to Springbok this afternoon so gave them directions to Annies guest house in Springbok as it was one of the places I tried to book in to.

Might have dinner here and a few drinks depends on what these old farts are up too surely there must be one alcholic to join me in a few.

The Fish River Canyon.

Attached Files:

4. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Just enjoying the view it really is pretty spectacular.

Attached Files:

5. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    A little local boy enjoying the view with me.

Attached Files:

6. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Some more pictures of the Fish River Canyon.

Attached Files:

7. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    And one more.

Attached Files:

8. Black-Ops

Black-Ops The left one....

Oddometer:
    Port Douglas, Far North Queensland, Australia
    A great read!

Sounds like things have cooled down a bit. We were at the hot springs 3 weeks ago and it was 35deg!
  9. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Yeah been pretty comfortable, was hot on the way over to Luderitz but nothing killer, I talked to a couple of guys that had done Cairo to Cape Town the other week while I was in Springbok and they had 54 in Sudan now thats warmish lol
  10. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    The Canon Roadhouse was a bit expensive at 750 Rand a night but there was no camps sites left and only one room so I grabbed it, apparently the Canon Lodge is 1300 a night. I guess when your in the middle of nowhere with an attraction like the Fish River canyon down the road you can basically charge what you like.Everyone was really friendly though enjoyed my stay there.

Attached Files:

11. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Pretty ncie beer garden at the Canon Roadhouse met a nice german couple and chatted for awhile there.

Attached Files:

12. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    When you open the Pandoras box an alarm goes off in the bar I didnt care I was opening it anyway you just never know what you will find in something like that.

Attached Files:

13. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Everyone that has done this trip would have the same photos as these but im going to post them again for you that havent seen them, its a classic place.

Attached Files:

14. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    A few more shots of the Canon Roadhouse.

Attached Files:

15. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    And one more.

Attached Files:

16. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:

Ended up having a few beers last night chatting to Mike and his wife Sandy and they weren't drinking so only had a couple which was good.
    Got up fairly early and packed the bike up ready to go then went in and had breakfast standard cereals and toast didn't bother with the bacon and eggs as I've got a few k's to ride today so didn't need to be to full, hit the road about 10, the road for the first hundred k's was dirt some bad sections but all in all pretty good. Mike had told me the road turned to tar not to far away so was surprised that it was over a 100k's before it did.
    After all the dirt riding I've done over the last week was nice to finally hit the tarmac and get into some cruising speed. Gave the bike a bit of a workout, for the life of me I cant get it over the 200 k's mark, I'll have to read up on what the top speed is though I'm fully kitted up and I'm not light so that might be dragging that top speed down a bit.

The ride over to Luderitz is almost 300 kilometres of just bugger all, just long straight stretches, boring and no signs of any life other than the occasional car, oh and I saw 1 ostrich and that was it for wild life. Stopped in at Aus on the way over for a drink there's nothing there, well bugger all, some of the towns on the map around here might of been towns at one stage but not anymore.
    Jumped back on the bike for the last 100 or so k's to Luderitz as I got closer to the coast the temperature rose by about 5 degrees and the terrain became very sandy and windy. There was a small sandstorm happening, I'm sure nothing compared to what I will experience in the north of Africa.
    Got in to Luderitz and headed down to the waterfront with all good intentions of camping but with the wind absolutely humping I decided stuff it ill go suss out a room.

Got back to the gate and talked to the guy there that I was going to look for accomodation and he said that there is a cabin down the road so I grabbed the key off him and off I went. Got settled and one of the local guys saw me unpacking my bike and came over for a chat, Matimo ran a lodge in town and I think when he saw me in the opposition lodge wanted to check it out, he charged 150 rand a night still very reasonable. He said he has a bar over there so I said i might drop over later but in the end just chillaxed and did nothing.

It was a hot ride today and my back has actually been giving me hell the last few days to the point yesterday I could hardly stand up so not real flash but oh well tell someone that cares. I have ridden alot of k's in the last week so and alot off road thats probably got something to do with it.
    The cabin was pretty dam good for 12 bucks fully self contained everything you need cooking stuff etc and 10 metres to the waterfront so was pretty happy there. Considering staying a few days here to save some money but ill see how im feeling in the morning. Did a ride around every street in town this afternoon its really small, had a look at some of the older German architecure the ghost town just outside of town and thats about it for this place. Bumped into another couple doing the flower search, seems to be a pretty common hobby for alot of the people travelling around here, I guess at this time of the year and all the desert flowers could be interesting, I guess.

All in all the ride was long straight boring with some typical Namibian scenary long plains of yellow grass and nothing much else with moutains in the back ground.

Mike and Sandy leaving the Canon Roadhouse

Attached Files:

17. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    The ride into Luderitz was long straight boring and hot with a sand storm to finish it off, for the life of me I cant get this bike over 200 kmh Thought id go back to Aus for a little while lol

Attached Files:

• Aus.jpg
      Aus.jpg
      File size:
      65.9 KB
      Views:
  18. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Just some random shots of Luderitz not much here I think I basically got it all in three photos, this looked like a cool campsite tough but it does get really windy here and was absolutely blowing a gale when I arrived.

Attached Files:

19. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Some of the old German buildings in the back ground.

Attached Files:

20. rideforsmiles

rideforsmiles Sheldon

Oddometer:
    Woke up early this morning slept pretty well actually so was up sitting by the water thinking about what to do and after awhile thought im out of here. Theres nothing really in Luderitz for me for anyone for that matter, just a mining town with a few old German houses and a ghost town that isnt a ghost town its just a town that was used by miners and abandoned in 1956 and the sand has blown through broken windows and filled rooms up no big woop im sure it would be the same in any house in Luderitz if you left the windows open for a few days. Ask the young bloke at the gate if there was anything else to see and he said no so that was enough for me im gone.

Packed the bike up and headed off, rode around town for awhile having a look and to see if i missed anything but nahh nothing else here to see so petrol and off I went. As I got out into the desert I saw a game of soccer going on as I rode off the highway and into the desert and stopped for awhile. One of the boys and his mates on the sideline came over so offered them a ciggie and as the rest of the crew were just there asked if any of the others wanted one so I went over and sat under the one and only tree and gave a few of the boys ciggies, all pretty cool they were all just enjoying the football.

Then this guy in a uniform comes over and taps me on the shoulder, I said hey whats up and he said just be careful, I asked him why and he said you have just ridden into Luderitz prison aahahahah oh ok, I saw the big building over there but didnt take much notice as i was watching the footballI as I pulled in, it might pay to be bit more attentive of where im stopping in future I thought to myself, I better asked them who should I support the blue or green team i didnt want to be barracking for the guards or anything stupid like that. Im pretty sure they were happy to just chat to an outsider, have a ciggie and watch soccer with someone different they all seemed really friendly and we were all just enjoying the football. Stayed for about 45 minutes then decided to hit the road. Told them to stay out of trouble next time with a laugh to which I got a about 30 big smiles and and waves as I rode off. Doesnt matter where you are soccer is a great game to love. Its a talking point and an interest to just so many people in the world. Left there with waves and shouts of cya Aussie.

Just hit the road then on the way stopped off to see the wild horses of Namibia, saw probaby a hundred or more just hanging around there is a few tales of where they came from one a shipwreck in the early days but i think the story that they were left by the Germans after WW1 seems the more logical reason. Stopped at one of the towns on the map there seems to be a lot of places that were places once upon a time but the servo I stopped at and was on my Gps as fuel was deserted no pumps or anything, so just parked in the shade and filled up with my own 10 litre jerry can. I must admit that has come in quite handy, if I chucked another one on the other pannier there would be nowhere I couldnt go. I wonder where, Timbuktoo that would be a classic hey why not.

Was thinking ill head to Sussusvlei but you guest it I have no idea where it is and as im writing this its absolutely nowhere near where I thought it was lol ok only 400 odd k.s out so not to bad. <???Z? and the turn off to Sussusvlei was back near Aus about 200 k's back oh well if I went that ride it was over 250 k's on dirt so im happy i didnt know that id be absolutely rooted now so although it was 300 odd k's in 34 degree heat today it was pretty easy riding and now im in a nice comfortable motel watching Man U stoke doing my blog so all good.

Might walk out to the bar and grab a drink and watch the second half of the Rugby and then grab some dinner, its a hard life. I'll see how im feeling tomorrow might head off towards Sussusvlei might do the 400 k's over 2 days half of it is dirt from here so that'll be fun and harder if the roads so far are anything to go by. I certainly havent come across any dirt roads you would be doing 150kph safely like ive been told. They must be somewhere but not where ive been, my top speed was about a 120 down to both feet down grovelling in soft sand.

The boys from the prison enjoying a game of soccer in the desert.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.