Rideing in India

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Tagati, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    Townsville, Capital of Free Australia (NQ)
    :huh
    <object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjrEQaG5jPM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
  2. L0cky

L0cky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who needs traffic lights??

No helmets, no-one killed, flowing traffic, no road rage....maybe its us that have it all wrong?
  3. whitey222

whitey222 occasionally adventurous

Oddometer:
    Which got me wondering... What is India's road toll ?

From today's issue of Bharat Times Online...

:eek1

"India is home to one per cent of the world's vehicles, but accounts for a disproportionate six per cent of the globe's total road accidents.

According to The Alfred's Emergency and Trauma Centre Director, Professor Mark Fitzgerald, more than 80,000 people die and 1.2 million are seriously injured on the country's roads each year. The World Health Organisation has predicted that, by 2020, road accidents will be a major killer in India accounting for 546,000 deaths and 15,314,000 disability-adjusted life years lost."
  4. ktm wrench

ktm wrench motorcycle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    F$%ken hell, thats crazy :eek1 .
  5. CDG

CDG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a story years ago on an experiment they did in a certain part of Amsterdam where they removed all traffic lights and road signs in this 4 block radius that was apparently known for it's large number of accidents every day.

The results were remarkable, I can't remember the stats but it was a massive reduction with next to no prangs and they said it was due to the fact that the drivers (and riders i'm sure) slowed down more and relied more on making eye contact with others instead of depending on the signal's.

Mind you it didnt look half as crazy as that Indian intersection.
  6. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    I think China's road toll is about 220,000pa.

Whne I was in Vietnam I couldn't understand how come people didn't run into each other, then I read that the last month's toll was 15,000 so wear a frikken helmet

But I gotta say, that india, like vietnam has virtually no road rage
  7. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Road rage is a f****** waste of time.

Look , it's a state of mind. Would you get into a heated argument with a donkey or a buffalo that suddenly strays into your path? Similarly if you view the idiot who did something stupid as a donkey, why would you feel angry, or even annoyed?

Of course, if the other guy really deserves it, there are ways to get even.:evil

PS: Pretty light traffic on that road (in the vid)
  8. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Wow. Just wow oh wow oh wow.

I rode through Mexico City a few times and each time I felt a bus was gonna take me out any minute.
  9. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    i see one indian here. where are the rest of you blokes?
  10. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    That video is from the city of bangalore i think. Southern india.

Well, there is no toll for bikes and other two wheelers. Atleast i am sure about northern india. For cars it is USD 1-2.
  11. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    I agree :D, i rode thru ten times worse traffic last night at 2 am while coming back from work.
  12. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Mexico city, i've heard has almost the same traffic as here. But honestly, the traffic situation in New delhi is getting better.
    Especially since the new Expressways and other good roads were made.
  13. OzAdvRider

OzAdvRider EZrider

Oddometer:
    I have a business in Chennai and go there often, no road rage there and accident toll of 80,000 is very minuscule in a country of 1+ Billion.

In Australia 1,600 people die in road deaths and the population is 20,000,000

Statistically it is safer to be on the road in India that OZ.:rofl :rofl

http://www.aaa.asn.au/SaferRoads/get_the_facts.asp

Road rage are for self rightous, meglomaiac morons who has "warring" genes suppresed, till ah! haaa! an excuse for "war" comes along, hence ROAD RAGE. One cannot delclare war on a "donkey or a buffalo" but to a fellow human ..too easy!!!

I do not believe Road Rage should exist in a developed & CIVILIZED society. So, if one is in a "Rage" one in not Civil and must be dealt with in accordance with the law in the event of an assult.

No two ways about it.:lol3 Relax take it easy..

OzAdivRider

14. Scrubs

Scrubs erm

Oddometer:
    organised chaos, but it works.

I just came back from NZ and the way the way the traffic flow is designed there, in big citys drove me insane - as a road user and pedestrian.
    You will find in most heavily congested Asian countries a far more aware rider/driver.