Rider Missing in Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TeeVee, Feb 5, 2014.

1. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well this just sucks. He doesn't even look all that out of place down there. With his complexion and hair color he could pass as a local.

I think current guys planning a Ushuaia trip need to start beefing up their security:

1. Start your trip from Argentina and buy a bike from a traveler who is completing his trip. Horizonsunlimited.com has a for sale section with very cheap used foreigner bikes in Argentina. The paperwork in crossing borders is easy. You just need a power of attorney or photoshop.

2. SPOT Trackers need to be mandatory. If Harry had one, it would be much easier to find him right now.

3. Dress down while you are on the road. Your clothing and motorcycle broadcast your net worth. Buy an old faded Aerostich Jacket on ebay and if you have a fancy bike than duck tape if before you leave including the BMW emblems.

4. Stick to the tollways in Mexico and skip any sightseeing. The danger is too unpredictable right now and there are much safer and more affordable countries along the way to spend money/time.

5. Screw Central America, there is way too much corruption at the borders and 95% of Westerners who have done the trip would not do it again because of the borders. Not to mention that the Panama Canal is a Pain the Ass money pit to with a motorcycle. South America is way easier to travel. If you can get past the idea of 'riding your own bike" or trying "to bring your own bike back to the US," than you will realize that there was no advantage in the first place of riding your bike from home.

I hope Harry turns up in good shape.
  2. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    I pray for his safety.
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note to self: skip advice from people who live in Iowa when it comes to Mexico.

Point 1 is a toss up.

Point 2 is the only intelligent thing you posted.

Point 3 doesn't make any difference. Nada.

Point 4 you are talking out your ass and not from any first hand current experience.

Point 5 see point 4.

Stick to telling people how to grow or eat corn.:deal
  4. Veltkamp

Veltkamp n00b

Oddometer:
    I was on the road he most likely took this past October (I'm in Santiago, Chile, now). It wasn't the best maintained and I would dare to say pretty sketchy. It basically was very curvy and went up and down into the mountains with a number of areas that landslides have taken a chunk of the road. There is very, very little traffic on it except for people going to and from the few local villages on it. There aren't many (if any) side roads off of it and some villages basically use 4-wheelers for their transportation. His motorcycle is pretty unique and I can guarantee if someone saw it, they would know it wasn't from around there.

If he missed a turn, or went off the road, he could have gone a long, long way down and no one would have known the better. I would hold off before jumping to the conclusion that he was kidnapped.

Btw. The amount of money that it costs to make this trip, the cost of a GPS tracker is in the background noise. There should be a push to make it part of your equipment (like a helmet). Especially, when one is riding alone.
  5. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    I won't be returning to Mexico without a Spot tracker. This has been weighing on me for some time now and I must admit that this episode with Harry, which we all pray ends well, has pushed me the remaining distance to making this decision. I hope more of us will do the same. Our families don't need to go through what the Deverts are going through. God bless them.

Keep praying for Harry.
  6. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow....hopefully, this is a RANT attack and way for you to vent as we are all wishing/praying for Harry's safe return.

There are so many speculations that we can make as to what, why and when. However, this incident does not blanket traveling to Mexico and or Central America as being 100% dangerous. This is an isolated incident. I agree that ones level of awareness along with precautions should be heightened however, that's the rule of thumb regardless! Traveling anywhere such as this should not be taken lightly. Traveling with a tracking device, low key appearance to include attitude is and should be a must... I agree with you totally . I was hoping that was the case and it was a matter of tracking his device but that is not the case.

We have no clue what took place before, during and after. So maybe we should just leave our opinions and thoughts on what we don't know and keep positive thoughts for his safe return. I'm convinced there is more to this than we know.

Take a read here about a lady gone missing found 11 years later in Key West. Just an example of ...you just never know. By NO means..Am I saying, implying or even hinting to this being the case with Harry

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/02/3376125/woman-missing-since-2002-and-presumed.html
  7. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:

SchizzMan:

I am surprised as to how many of you veterans and or frequent visitors to Mexico/CA DO NOT have a Spot tracker!! You along with others share a lot of great information on traveling Mexico and being safe.

(No offense here but time for some ass kicking!):thwak it's not just about YOU! It's for your loved ones. Go and get the damn thing already!!
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not easy to find and purchase here, that's the main issue.
    A lot of boaters use them and buy them in Miami.
  9. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might as well just stay home...

I just got back from a month in Mexico and this makes me want to be even more thankful that my time there went smoothly. I hope he is found safe and can return home or finish his trip as he sees fit.
  10. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Fck Spot and the insecurity he rides in on. :deal

I truly hope this rider is OK.
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Spot Tracker when they first came out. Had to buy it at a Boat supply store and they didn't know much. I've used it in Mexico and everyplace else I go. Makes my wife more comfortable and that's important to me.
  12. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    here's hoping and asking for Harry's safe return well being.

from the FB page,

[​IMG]
  13. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    This story just reminded me when you went missing!

Regarding your comment on Central America :ken

Let's hope we can find Harry in good health!
  14. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check again. I think they already determined that is not him.
    dc
  16. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
  17. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:

OK. But it sure looks like him and the article said the tats look the part.

I hope it is not him.
  18. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Man is some mothers son so hope and pray for him too
  19. philipbarrett

philipbarrett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cross posted from another thread.

Read the CNN article;

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/08/world/americas/missing-american-mexico/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"So tomorrow I'm going to go to the DMV, get my motorcycle permit, buy a bike and hopefully figure out how to ride it home without crashing."

"...spent hours studying YouTube videos on how to survive falls from bikes"

And there's a lot more references to a decidedly risky lifestyle, hey not judging but why is everyone so sure the poor soul's not just in a ditch somewhere?
  20. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that was actually my thought too. My parents lived in Mexico DF for 20 years, I've logged ~4K of riding in Mexico with no problems.

I really, really hope he's okay¬Ö.