RIDER SKILLS?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Heatery, May 26, 2020.

1. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Balance, clutch and brake control = trials bike. They are alot of fun and the practice/skills you get from riding them transfers to heavier bikes. You can try/learn to do wheelies, hops, balance at a standstill and other silly things w/o too much risk. Ride one if you can.

Mountian bikes (bicycles) can do much of the above for you too, may not be quite as much fun but might be good for your fitness level.

Exercises can do alot for your balance and fitness. Toys like Bongo boards, Bocee balls will do the same.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    OUCH! Fortunately I don't remember ever doing something like that... thankfully. I remember playing on a flat track one day, going down the straight on a TM400 on the back wheel, then it dawned on me... I'm doing like 90 mph! If I loop it, it ain't gonna be pretty! Cut that stuff out fast!

That is true as long as you don't get too nuts watching the top level pros going over some of that crazy stuff. Also don't want to flip over doing 4th gear wheelies either. They are great to play in a small space and just plain screwing around with minimal risk to physical injury. If the knee ever comes back right I may get a newer used trials bike again.
  3. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    This seems almost like psychological, you need to build confidence and get your groove back. Maybe just ride for a while, just ride and enjoy and let your balance and instincts grow. Don't put expectations or pressure on it. Get seat time, lots of seat time. Maybe do a few skids, practice riding standing. It takes me a little while to get back my full skills each year.
    Heatery likes this.
  4. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the riding standing advice. No matter what type of riding I do, paved racing, dirt track racing, mountain biking, whatever, the bike likes the weight through your legs. weight on the bars doesn't let the bike follow the lines it wants to follow to find traction. Now that I have my knee replaced and have strength in my legs again, I am realizing how many of the issues I was having trouble addressing, were all addressed by this one thing. Weight through your legs.
    Heatery likes this.
  5. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally dont care when less skilled riders join in on rides. The group rides are dictated by the lowest skill level. The less skilled riders I've found have the anxiety and do not want to tag along in some cases.

Having said that, you gotta have the drive and mentally to keep pushing your limits when those occasions arise.

Many people tell me I'm a fast rider, but they dont realize how many times I've crashed, broke bones or been knocked unconscious on top of the numerous totaled bikes to become that fast rider.

You gotta find your personal limit and push past it so many times until it becomes the new norm. Then start all over again.

The fastest riders never became the fastest riders without hitting the deck hard and persevering through it. You fall over, stand back up. You break the bike, fix it. You break a bone, mend it then pick up right where you left off.

If doing those things on a motorcycle as you mentioned have you contemplating, there is no one holding you back except yourself. Do it

I have a friend whose a pro snowboarder. X Games pro snowboarder...

I remember him trying this new trick off a massive jump, and he ended up crashing hard and breaking both his arms. The dude could not even wipe his own ass. It was really hard on him and his family. His arms eventually healed and you know what the first trick was he went after once all healed up? The same trick that broke his arms.

That's the mentality which separates us mortals between the legends of the sport.
    Heatery likes this.
  6. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    I feel so much better about that high side after reading this. LOL!
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's probably less about youthful fearlessness, and more about riding a heavier bike with an older body.
    As people age, their ability to balance generally degrades: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10499055/

Riding is a great way to improve your balance and overall fitness. My advice would be to continue enjoying your Tiger, but add a trials bike or a light dirt bike to it for practicing your enduro skills, which should also improve your control of the big bike. The excellent Cross Training Enduro channel on YouTube should be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg
    Heatery and Sal Pairadice like this.
  8. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    And maybe upgrade your pegs. I just did.
    Heatery and Zubb like this.
  9. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Black Dog pegs for me. If I got a new bike tomorrow, the pegs would be my first farkle priority.
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  10. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Yep. I put Goldwing pegs on my V-Strom 1000. Awesome. King Kong could do the macarena on them drunk and still ride home.
    Heatery likes this.
  11. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We love to hear this kind of thing! Thanks for choosing our pegs!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    Zubb and ZoomerP like this.
  12. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct. Even the best Trials riders are seen deliberately 'tossing the bike' to avoid needless injury. So in a sense, that, too, is a learned skill; experience-based discernment as to when a fail is a fail, and it's prudent to control the fail by getting away from a flying metal object to concentrate on saving your skin. It's one of the reasons champ-level Trials riders have Tenders, and even local club riders stretching their limits in practice take turns being each other's Catcher.

But that's not the same thing as the 'lay 'er down' cliche'; false bravado nonsense from two generations ago still often posited as some kind of 'preferred technique.'

JET
  13. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    To your point:

14. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Good stuff
  15. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was 1st learning to ride,( I learned to ride off road) I was given a piece of advise that has stayed with me my whole life and on several occasions I believe has saved my life, have a separate accident to the bike.