Riders near Vero Beach and surrounding areas

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Paul-615, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Paul-615

Paul-615 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    Recently moved to Florida and picked up a Dual Sport DRZ400S. Looking for any folks in the surrounding areas that meet up and hit some trails.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  2. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Living in Melbourne. Welcome.
    Paul-615 likes this.
  3. Paul-615

Paul-615 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. How is the riding up that way? What are you riding?
  4. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better farther north in the Ocala National Forest. We have a few spots in Brevard County. KTM 690 Enduro R, for sale. Also Yamaha WR426F and KTM 200 EXC, both plated.
    beaterktm likes this.
  5. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am sure you have ridden Jungle Trail by now... not challenging but nice views, just too short. I go to Wabasso all the time, was there last Thursday surfing the big NE Windswell...I know some spots to ride up in Melbourne I can PM you some routes if you keep them down low and immediately STOP/kill engine if you come across horseback riders. My back got tweaked at Wabasso. So I am taking a break from riding for a while (also have a DRZ400) sucks cause it is only getting hotter , missing the good AM riding weather
    Paul-615 likes this.
  6. Paul-615

Paul-615 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Sandspit. I actually haven't found the Jungle Trail yet. I was just out at the outlets yesterday exploring the trails all morning. I would definitely like to hit some of the Melbourne spots. Send me some info. I used to sharing trails w/ equestrian from my days up in Virginia. Hope you heal up and get back on the trails. :beer
    Sandspit likes this.
  7. TAS

TAS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in Port Saint Lucie and currently ride a Desert Sled. I’ve lived here 25 years and I’ve Never heard of the Jungle Trail, lol. If you figure out where it is give me a holler, I’m game! Welcome to the neighborhood
    Sandspit and Paul-615 like this.
  8. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    27°43'48.4"N 80°23'35.7"W

drop that in google maps, driven it in a car many times (flat and sandy, surprise!) , my parents retired to Vero in 1983, was still a small sleepy beach town back then.
    Sandspit and Paul-615 like this.
  9. Paul-615

Paul-615 n00b

Oddometer:
    Haha, that is a bicycle trail. Ok, yes I do know where that is. Wasn’t thinking of it in the context of an off-road motorcycle trail.
  10. TAS

TAS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  11. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I haven't been on it in probably >15yrs, it is pretty cool if you are not from FL, from what I am told it's how many "old Florida" roads were until probably the 50/60s. I think I also heard parts have been paved in the last 10 yrs?

BTW, unrelated to bikes but FL has some interesting history, I learned to appreciate it for much more than the stereotypical view as a retirement state and vacation destination after reading these books.

https://www.amazon.com/Land-Remembe...bered+florida&qid=1554204688&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Cracker-Cult...lture+florida&qid=1554204720&s=gateway&sr=8-1
    Sandspit likes this.
  12. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Jungle trail is too sandy for bicycles and some times it can get muddy. but yes it is flat sandy 100% PUBLIC and I think a non- paved dirt road that is protected from being paved (wow what a concept!- congrats to the residents of Orchid Island they want to keep it dirt). It is fun to get the back wheel loose on the turns and it runs next to the IntraCoastal wateraway so it has a great views just wish it was longer. I'll PM you some grey trails up here soon that are fun. The real issue is most trails are just too short , your done maybe go back do it again then ride a lot of pavement to get to the next Dirt "spot". we have some decent pavement w/ views that street bikes, bicycles , cars, etc. cruise and are well known. Look up Tropical trail up to 528 cross over and go back down Indian River dr/ Rockledge drive (the better of the loop IMO) WATCH YOUR SPEED..LOOK WAY AHEAD WHEN GOOSING A TURN FOR UN MARKED AND MARKED LEOs. It dumps out on US 1...maybe ride A1A back to Vero or burn off the knobbies on US 1. Welcome to the best COASTAL zone in Florida!(SpaceCoast to Vero Beach) We are not S. FL.............yet
    TAS, Paul-615, DCrider and 1 other person like this.