riders-share,,, has anyone here rented from?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BigOleSingle, Jul 22, 2019.

1. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    I can't quite tell where this fits so, here it is.

Has anyone here ever rented from riders-share.com? If you don't know, it appears to be very similar to AriBNB for us 2-wheelers. I could never let mine be rented unless the insurance is totally inclusive with no deductible. But riding someone else's bike for a day seems very appealing. It also seems like a good way to do a long-term test ride.

So, who has rented? How was the process/service?
  2. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you should do it and write a review
    atpalmer likes this.
  3. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    I just finished my first rental (as owner) about a week ago.

https://www.riders-share.com/listing/dHxMGL99KJirdweAS (Man....I really should have mowed the lawn before I took that pic. Will have to stage a nicer shot in the future).

Very nice guy took my Gunner off my hands for a week, and Riders-share sent me over $600 (Cdn) for my troubles.

Being my first ever rental customer, I had a few snags, but mostly with documenting the condition of the bike before the renter left. Nothing serious, and I know what to do next time.

I understand the downside to doing this, and it's obviously a personal decision to rent out a bike or not, but I decided to go for it because LuAnne doesn't get out as much as she used too, and she's all paid for, so I thought why not bring in a bit of cash to offset the cost of insurance and maintenance for the summer?

Of course, there was no problem.......until there is. So I understand those who absolutely won't rent out their bike or let others ride their bikes. As a general rule I don't ride other guys bikes myself, except for a short test ride, but oddly enough I'm willing to do this.

The process itself was pretty seamless, and R-S sent me my money very quickly. If there is a problem in the future I guess I will find out how that goes as well.
    Davidprej and Dan Diego like this.
  4. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jay. If I had multiple bikes then renting one at a time may be more attractive to me. I never know when a ride opportunity will appear.

I was asking more from a renter's perspective but since you replied, do you carry any special insurance for renting? Or does R-S included that? $600/week could make a season-worth of monthly payments on a decent bike.
  5. proeliator

proeliator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could not see renting out my own bike, but i do plan on renting a couple different motos for a day or two to find out if they would be right for me as i am in the merket for a new ride. Seems like the best way to get a good feel for a bike with no surprises or buyers regret.
  6. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    I've just returned home from a week-long rental ride and had a positive experience. Riders-share wasn't too complicated to register with but needed to do a background check on my driver's license info and the website could have been a little easier to navigate. Insurance and fees added approximately $30/day to the base rental rate for the bike, an R1200RT.

The bike owner was very easy to deal with and didn't mind storing my excess luggage during the rental period. Riders-share has a check-in and check-out procedure on their website that is easy to use. On day three of my ride, a battery failure complicated things slightly, but I was able to get help through rider's assist services that are coordinated (and paid for) through the rental process.

I stayed in contact with the owner on a near-daily basis because it seemed like a responsible thing to do, on my part. The end result has been the beginning of a nice friendship with the owner.

YMMV, but the owner and bike were excellent, in my experience, and I would do it again. If you want a rental with minimal or no communication during the rental, a more traditional rental experience might be better. For me, it worked out well and at significantly lower cost than renting from a corporate entity.
    gsfreeman2 likes this.
  7. Ron Earp

Ron Earp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have rented from Riders Share and it worked really well. Me and a buddy flew out to Colorado, rented a pair of Africa Twins, and did the Badlands in Utah. No problems whatsoever and great rates.

Now I'm thinking of renting out two machines in my stable. ToothDocJay or anyone else, what's the percentage take of the rental for Ridersshare.com?
  8. jacktwitch

jacktwitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother rented through them when he came to visit.
    The owner was a 20 -30 year old lady who was really nice, but I suspect got very bad advice on her first bike.
    The bike was a little dirty and the chain was so bad that we debated if it was safe or not.

The whole thing went pretty smooth. My brother got to ride for a weekend for a couple hundred bucks and the lady got cash for a bike sitting on the side of her house. I would recommend doing a safety inspection before riding though.

No way in hell would I be a renter. I would lend a bike to a friend. But that just seems like a headache waiting to happen.
  9. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rented a bike from there. In LA, picked up a Ducati Monster rental for a 3 day weekend.

I was basing the price I was going to pay on the listing. In the end, they tack on a little bit for service fee, and if you add insurance it's more. (Check and see if your credit card covers your rental insurance).

I had a good experience. Bike was awesome, only downside was it had scheduled maintenance like 60 miles out when I picked it up, and I intended to do a lot of miles. So that maintenance was late, mileage wise.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  10. jacktwitch

Oddometer:
    That one is on the seller for sure
  11. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I very much doubt that ICBC would cover you for anything that happened.
  12. jacktwitch

Oddometer:
    My guess is rental customer assumes all liability, if they default on responsibility then its up to the owner to go after them in civil court.
    Problem with civil court is its so convoluted and has no real "teeth", so its not worth the time
  13. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Different laws in British Columbia, Canada. The insurance company is owned by the government.
  14. gsfreeman2

gsfreeman2 Ersatz adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's two main peer-to-peer rental portals -- Twisted Road and Riders Share. I've never had experience with Twisted Road but have rented my Wee several times over the 2019 and 2020 seasons on Riders Share. They keep 25% (Twisted Road keeps 30%) of the rental fee to cover their expenses. I understand their cash flow is pretty tight -- I'm sure COVID's hammered them as it's hammered everyone else.

Most of my riders have been locals who have sold their bikes or whose bikes were not feasible for an all-day ride; I did have one out-of-town renter who flew up to MSP and went to visit family in Iowa over a long weekend. Bike owners have the right to block out available dates and accept or reject rentals per request -- I always talk to my renters ahead of time. Met some cool people and just like in @Rackemcrackem 's experience, have made a couple nice acquaintanceships.

I've had all positive experiences; EXCEPT in the last one the renter dropped (not crashed) my bike in his garage and broke one of my turn signals. I fixed it (and it seems he felt worse about it than I did) and he paid (time and materials) for it. There is a $2,000 deductible on the insurance Riders Share providers to its renters for catastrophic damage. My understanding is that Riders Share checks license/driving/credit records of prospective renters before renting to protect owners. OTOH with a 07 Weestrom, I'm not as worried.

I've chosen to allow unlimited mileage but after getting a few renters who have put 450+ mile days on my bike, I'm reconsidering this. It seems what is "normal" on the portal is for renters to allow 250-ish miles and to charge a per mileage charge in the 49-69 cent range after that.

There is a portal for after-rental charges so if someone didn't gas up the bike, got parking tickets, or did damage to the bike, there's a way to charge it back -- but Riders Share asks that you clear these charges with your renters ahead of time.

The season in MSP is for all intents and purposes over. Would I do it again next year? Probably; though I'll reconsider a mileage limit and block out some dates for myself. Would I rent a bike if I were to travel to another city? Maybe -- considering in how many places Eagle Rider is the only option and Harley dealers are the only providers.
    Dan Diego and davidji like this.
  15. jacktwitch

Oddometer:
    I am split on eagle rider, my experience was pretty simple but they didnt give me the bike I reserved and the bike I did get was a harley sportster that a previous rider had adjusted the handlebars weirdly on. My brother got the bike he actually reserved and had a much better experience.
    Dan Diego and gsfreeman2 like this.
  16. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peer to peer rentals usually have their own insurance in their fees

A renter doesn't use the normal insurance like you would for a private ride
  17. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    It does not apply right now because Americans are basically not welcome in Canada right now but for later, do not assume Canadian laws are the same as American laws.

There are major differences.

American companies operating in Canada tend to forget this.

Protect yourself.
  18. Ron Earp

Ron Earp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks gsfreeman, that's exactly what I was lookin for, solid information from someone who rents. I've got two bikes I want to rent, a Super Tenere ES and a Wee Strom. I had to have cartilage surgery on both of my feet last week so it'll be four to six months before I get back to riding much. I'm in central NC and we've got a fair amount of tourists for the mountains and beach. So I hope that I can get some rental traffic, maybe some married folks or pairs of people wanting to see some of NC.

As I've said, I had a great experience on Riders Share and would like to be part of that for other people. The money isn't that important to me but seeing machines get used for good purposes is.
    gsfreeman2, SFC_Ren and Vertical C like this.
  19. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of you who are renting your bikes out, how do you protect yourself from the liability of someone getting hurt while riding your bike? Last time I checked none of the platforms provided any sort of protection for the bike owner beyond the value of a damaged bike. Seems like a big potential risk for a few hundred bucks of rental income, and I would imagine any sort of business liability policy that covers renting motorcycles would cost a pile of money.
    AZbiker and davenowherejones like this.
  20. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too are very interested in this, as I have thought about maybe putting a couple bikes as available for rent on one of the sites.
    Hearing from folks who have used this on both sides is insightful.

The liability thing does have me concerned.
    I'd think renting out totally stock bikes would be the safest bet, with crash farkels installed of course.
    Might be a way to "write off" bike expenses? Any of you done it?

It seems very good that the company checks out the renters before letting them use the platform.
    Is there a clause that the renter can back out if he feels something is wrong?
    Like how an FFL can refuse a sale if something appears "off"?