Riders Share??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by johngault, Jul 3, 2018.

1. johngault

johngault Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used, or have knowledge, of this motorbike rental service company? Seems like there are some good options for reasonable priced Moto vacations
    https://www.riders-share.com/
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do they work the insurance?

What if the bike breaks/has a problem when some dumbass thrashes your bike?

Sorry but my bikes are personal possessions and I don't let strangers ride them, especially out of my sight!!
  3. FreshWaterSquid

FreshWaterSquid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been renting my BMW F650CS on Riders Share for the last couple of years. I’ve rented it out half a dozen times and it has been a nice way to earn some income on a bike I haven’t had much time to ride myself.

Starting this year Riders Share changed their insurance policy and now cover all rentals under their own insurance. All the details are here:

https://www.riders-share.com/help/insurance-policy
    CoatsEast likes this.
  4. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like a good thing in an airbnb type of thing.
  5. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    anyone else trying this? seems to be a fair, not large number of bikes avail. many have bags and accessories which is nice. i'm just concerned that if I book a bike in advance (fly and ride) and the owner changes his mind I'll be stuck... i don't think there's any recourse
  6. FreshWaterSquid

FreshWaterSquid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I ever planned a trip and rented from it I would have a back-up plan just in case. The other risk is not knowing if the owner is actually keeping up on bike maintenance. I was responsible and kept my bike tuned up and in tip-top shape each time I rented it out but wondered if other owners did the same.

Before booking a bike I’d recommend reaching out to an owner and asking some questions about the bike to get a feel for things and then determine you think it’s going to work out or not.
  7. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Concept is great - software is excellent. Wish they had more off-road oriented bikes available. Rental rates are not bad at all...a buddy and I rented 2 bikes for 1 week and it was worth it but my riding partner burnt some tank bag straps and had to fork out $100+ to replace canvas pannier....which should be expected...most rental companies have to be very picky when inspecting returned bikes, especially ones that have been off road. Considering oil changes, tire wear, and other service/wear and tear $100+ a day is not unreasonable.
    swamp likes this.
  9. VegasKLRider

VegasKLRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I listed my KLR 650 on it a month ago, but no takers yet. It is my 9th vehicle, so I don't mind it missing from time to time... and it is a KLR with the doohickey fixed, so it won't break. I also allow riders to take it off road- which most don't. Hoping some Europeans want to go exploring around the Mojave Desert.....