1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rides in the Oberon area

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Bleh, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    My plans for Cape York these coming school holidays are pretty much off because of border closures, so I'm thinking of doing a couple of 2-3 day rides out of Oberon area, where I can dump my kids with my parents for a few days at a time.

I'm looking at some easy-moderate trails that I can take my inexperienced wife on. She's on a DRZ250 and I'm on a Husky 501. Looking at doing as much dirt as possible. Any suggested routes?

I was having a bit of a look on google maps, I'm thinking of one trip we could go down through Kanangra walls rd, through Kowmung river firetrail or Boyd River firetrail. From streetview it didn't look like there was any gates, but they could have been a bit further down. Then linking up with Banshea hill trail, and down through to wombeyan caves. Is that doable? Are those trails open? Any other suggestions?
  2. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Yep, all doable. The Kowmung will be running deep and fast. Not the greatest crossing for beginners. It might be ok by the time the holidays roll around.
    Bleh likes this.
  3. aspad

aspad Empty Suit

Oddometer:
    Hey mate Pretty sure the wombeyan road is still shut after landslides in February. Better check. Otherwise I did those trails years ago on gs with no probs. but check the level in the kowmung before heading out.
    Bleh likes this.
  4. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. How deep are we talking? Knee deep, waist deep? Does the river bed have lots of big rocks and holes or more sand/gravel?
  5. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, looks like the Wombeyan Rd is closed on the Taralga side indefinitely. Will take that into consideration when planning.
  6. aspad

aspad Empty Suit

Oddometer:
    Depends very much on flow volume. . When I did it was just below the wheel front wheel top on a GS. I Know cos I have a pic somewhere.
    It is a steepish entry. But no problem.
  7. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    North to Tarana, Diamond Swamp Rd to the highway, West to sunny corner rd, Culpits Lane, eskdale rd, turn right at Mt Horrible rd, left at Palmers Oakey rd, follow to Upper Turon rd into Sofala, hill end rd to hill end. Bridal track back to Bathurst. Lagoon Rd South to Sewells Creek rd, follow back to Oberon.

Mix of tar, gravel and some good two track through Winburndale. If the rain has knocked off the rivers should be down and the causeway fine. There's about 6 off the top of my head.
  8. CrazyZ9

CrazyZ9 More sheds

Oddometer:
    I would treat the Kowmung with a fair bit of respect at present, with rainfall patterns in the catchment not seen for many years, maybe since the 70's and some clear falling in the pine plantations around Gingkin and Shooters Hill, there has been twice the rain out in that corner compared to Oberon or at least we have had nearly twice the rain of Oberon and I am halfway between, lost a bike down there in the 70's as in walk home lost, also walked home from the black flat at dingo dell when a early Nissan patrol sunk to the top of the bonnet. I expect to get howled down seeing there's a lot inmates on this site that can walk on water.

There is a pile to see and do out there without going south of the river
  9. Simosez

Oddometer:
    Absolutely right. Anyone who has ridden it in the last 5 years has not seen the the Kowmung in its normal state. During the drought, the river was just a trickle compared to now. There'll be big goolies and it'll be flowing fast. Be warned.
    The Wombeyan caves roads (both sides) have been open for months. The caves themselves are shut though. You'll get no service down there.
    mountandsea and Ron50 like this.
  10. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Thanks!
  11. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if we get there and it looks rough we can just turn around and head back, not worth risking it.
  12. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how far you want to go on those bikes but this is looking at a 500kmk+ day

Caloma Lookout in Goobang National Park.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/lookouts/caloma-lookout

The lookout feels kinda like the edge of the world as you just look out onto plains to the horizon. I had the pleasure of watching a wedgie cruising past doing laps. Of course once I pulled my phone out to take a pic it didn't come back. I've also had a wedgie fly with me on Baldry Rd or Peak Hill Rd in this area. Well, take off from a fence, stay with me for 15 meters then fuck off.

Apologies for the Bing Map but google maps doesn't work on my old computer no more.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=6dd3...195978~149.440778&lvl=11&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027
    Adventurepig likes this.
  13. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll take a look in more detail later, but that looks like a lot of highway.
  14. Simosez

Oddometer:
    You're on proper dirt bikes, stick to the east.
    Abercrombie national Park is good fire trail riding too.
    Bleh likes this.
  15. Morro

Morro like a ship in the night

Oddometer:
    Yerranderie
  16. Bleh

Bleh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was on my list of places to have a look at, probably when we do Kanangra to Wombeyan. Any specific trails to look at?
  17. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    couple of state forests worth poking around.
  18. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chimney at Burraga well worth finding!!
    ECKS-Man and Bleh like this.
  19. TravelDoc

TravelDoc Day Tripper

Oddometer:
    Been exploring trails around Oberon most weekends since buying a farm at Hazelgrove 2010. (The old Avonlea MX track)
    There are thousands of km to explore ranging from 2WD car-worthy to full-on trials bike goat tracks. A few notes:
    -State forests are heavily laced with tracks, sometimes very steep. Stay away from current logging activities though. Possible fines.
    -Freshly logged areas offer some tremendous views. Top of Mt Macquarie near Carcoar is excellent. Mt Bindo near Hampton worth the effort.
    -There are plenty of wild deer herds. Often seen by me around Jenolan and Blenheim forests.
    -Not a bad ride to circumnavigate Evans Crown near Tarana. Involves crossing a slippery Fish River and a few privately owned paddocks but nobody has ever complained. Better if your bike is quiet. The western side has sadly been tarmac sealed in recent months.
    -Lowes Mountain SF NNW of Oberon town has a good selection of easy/medium/difficult trails. There is even a small MX track next to old house ruins.
    -For history buffs, there are old gold workings scattered around the district. Railway enthusiasts: photogenic rotting timber bridges from the old Oberon branch line.
    -To meet some hard-core ADV types, consider Thrashers Teffifying Trek held on private land east of Taralga last weekend of August each year.
    badmanners, BergDonk and Bleh like this.
  20. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they trying to discourage use by leaving the Road Closed signs at Langs Road, Wollondilly causeway and Old Hume Highway?