Riding 2-up on the 9x0

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by new2adv, Nov 25, 2019.

1. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 years ago I dipped a toe in the ADV waters and bought a 650 V-Strom. It’s been great, and I want more!!

Now I’m looking for a bike with a little more poop than the venerable V-Strom. The 950/990 looks like a nice upgrade. However... my wife enjoys riding pillion occasionally. Is that practical on the 9x0?

To be specific:
    • Do these bikes come with passenger pegs?
    • Do they have an easy pre-load adjuster on the rear shock?
    • Are there decent (comfortable) seating options for a passenger?
    • Are there good solutions for getting the wind out of your face?
    • Is this even worth considering? Or is the 950/990 just a big hairy dirt bike?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
  2. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife would rather take our 950 than our UltraClassic..it will haul our ass's at 75/80 all day..and ride the FS Roads at 20-30..we added a Seat Concepts 2Up seat after trying a few others it is TheSeat..that works for us.
  3. Turbominivanman

Turbominivanman Single track anyone?

Oddometer:
    I ride two up on mine pretty regular. I have a Russell day long seat. I call it my fat a$$ seat:) looks ugly, but you can literally go all day on it. I swap to the Russell seat only when I'm goin on rides longer than a few hours. The factory seat is a little better than a motorcross seat, but not a bunch better:)
  4. Turbominivanman

Oddometer:
    Oh and yes comes with buddy pegs, yes easy preload adjustment, yes it is comfortable for a passenger if you get a aftermarket seat.
    Wind out of your face is a relative term I would say. Different wind screens provide different things. I have a rade gerage carbon fiber setup that eliminates wind buffering. I do get wind hitting my helmet, but it doesn't move my head around much to the point that after 500 miles in a day at 85 mph average speed, I don't feel a thing in my neck. My dad has a tall touring windscreen, but when doing trails and rough off road, it hits him in the face when my short rade screen doesn't.
    It is a big hairy chested dirt bike that hang with the best of them in the corners. Read Lolo pass (it's in Montana, look it up, lots of corners) passing a few full dress Harleys, pushing a couple can ams and passing them, and passing a 1150 bmw sport Turing bike, loosing them all in just a few corners.

I love it and wouldn't trade my 950 for anything. It has its limitations, but for a all around getting things done bike, it's the one to have in my opinion.
    Mane, bomose and NitroAcres like this.
  5. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like Seat Concepts 2-up seat is the way to go for me. I’ve had their seats on other bikes and they’ve been very good.

As far as wind protection goes, I’ve been spoiled by the Givi Airflow windshield on the V-Strom... how does the Rade Garage fairing do up to say 60-65 MPH? (Wife won’t let me go any faster when she’s on the back...)

Oh and I have done Lolo Pass, but it was in a Cummins dually so not quite as invigorating as on a bike lol
  6. Turbominivanman

Oddometer:
    No problem at all 60 - 65 with the Rade setup
    NitroAcres likes this.
  7. JamLeMans

JamLeMans Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wales: Where men are men and sheep are scared!
    I was torn between a 690 and a road bike or a 950 only when I came to purchase a bike. It's the 950s ability to do most things well is what I like. In response to your question:

To be specific:

• Do these bikes come with passenger pegs? Yes they do.
    • Do they have an easy pre-load adjuster on the rear shock? Yes it on the left side of the bike and very easy to access, although I have to say I've never really adjusted mine for two up riding but I run it fairly stiff anyway.
    • Are there decent (comfortable) seating options for a passenger? There are a number of seat option for 2 up riding - Corbin, Seat Concepts, Touratech to name a few. One thing I can say is a Renazco Racing seat is great for solo riding, and I put an Airhawk on there for the Mrs. Although when on long trips we usually swap it to the OEM Gel seat.
    • Are there good solutions for getting the wind out of your face? The OEM KTM touring screen works fairly well, I'm 6'2 and I used to love it until I tried the Rade Garage rally screen I find this better.
    • Is this even worth considering? Or is the 950/990 just a big hairy dirt bike? HELL YEAH its worth considering! The 950/990 adventure is an awesome bike, it's also the bike that's been in my garage the longest. I use it for solo ADV Riding, big hairy dirt biking and two up riding camping and it just does it all. I'm 6'2 and the mrs is 5'2 with camping gear for a week for both of us and it all easily goes on the bike and it carries it no problem.
    It's not a bike you'll regret owning, it's one that sets the heart alight.
  8. zedx9

zedx9 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over 2/3 the mileage on my 990 has been two up. Longest single trip about 4000 miles. Equally fun on pavement or dirt roads. I did put the OEM gel seat on because the original had a tear in it, but my wife is fine with either. As for wind, I tried the KTM touring and a Touratech winglet/spoiler and ended up back with the stock windscreen. I don't like looking through the windscreen. I got rid of the buffeting that I had by removing the mirrors and installing HDB handguards and mirrors. This thing is a very capable touring/corner carver that you can do dirt with.
  9. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course, yes, somewhat, no, and not really. She'll be happier on a gs or s-10, but you'll be happier on the 9x0.
  10. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Playing devil’s advocate here... why would I want a 9x0 over, let’s say, a 1090? Don’t I get 25 more horsepower and better suspension on the 1090?

I’m not picking a fight, I want to buy a bike that’s fun to ride and that I can keep for a long time. Help me understand the 9x0 cult following!
    mountaincadre likes this.
  11. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    67 427 TriPower Vette vs 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 whatever it is..LOL
    Mane likes this.
  12. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can borrow one for a couple of days- you'll get it then.
  13. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I ride both on and off road quite a bit on a 990. It is comfortable. We've done 500 mile days on it and we're in our 60s. I made my own seat with lots of padding for her and a little higher so she could see better. The low center of gravity makes it better off road than a S10 or GS. It does vibrate more than those. I've got 77k on mine and will be looking for another to replace it. It replaced my 950. For 2 up adventure riding I don't think you could get a better bike.
  14. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you... high class problem I guess...

I've found a 2006 950 and a 2009 990 for sale. Any reason to prefer one over the other? Any common problems or gotchas I should be looking for?
  15. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    950's have a certain rawness about them that's very addictive, the 990 has this to but just not as pronounced.
  16. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    950 is CV Carbs.. 990 is FI... Some FI's had a glitchy throttle.. plenty of threads and work arounds..
    I have an '06 950 it is my forever bike.. (but it has stablemates).
  17. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    My wife probably likes my 950 more than me.....
    NitroAcres likes this.
  18. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch!
  19. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it could be far worse. She could like your neighbor more for instance :p
  20. Turbominivanman

Oddometer:
    on the differences between the 990 and 950. I have a 05.5 950, converted to S spec suspension with 85k miles and my dad has a 08 990 Dakar with 25k miles. They both have comparable mods with both having aftermarket dual exhaust, high flow airfilters in the stock air boxes, and tuned for the mods. We weigh about the same and have been ridding together since I got my first bike as a kid when I was 10. That was 25 years ago. In a roll on starting at 15 mph, we where still right next to each other at 120mph. . . . We both ride quite spirited, and I enjoy ridding on my back wheel a fair amount. On every ride we go on together, I always get 4-5 mpg better than he does and my bike holds about a half gallon more fuel since the pump isn't in the tank taking up space. That gives me about a 35 mile longer range.
    The downside to the 950 is carbs and all that goes along with them, like elevation. I have never been in really high elevation with my 950 and haven't touched the carbs in about 10k miles (the entire time I have owned the bike)
    The 950 and its carbs are quite a bit smoother on the bottom when coming on and off the throttle when doing technical single track compared to my dad's early 990 fi.
    I would say look for a 9x0 that would give you the best value and buy it. You can't really go wrong with either one in my opinion and they both have their up sides and down sides, but they are marginally different to the point that if I found a good deal on a low milage 990, I would get it.
    bomose likes this.