riding a thumper, Europe is bigger than i thought - home till 2022

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 23, 2018.

1. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the most excellent ride. Welcome home.
    NSFW likes this.
  2. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And Joel shares yet another outstanding trip with us homebound folks. Thank you for the great narrative and pictures Joel. :clap:clap
    NSFW likes this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW Death Valley Noobs Rally 2022 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    home now....this trip is a good chapter in my life.

thank you and to all who tagged along.

i too enjoyed everyone's company and hopefully see you on the next episode.

MK....just like that....i could stay longer and explore more but the northern hemisphere's cold weather pushed me away.

hello Christo. the ride we had was an excellent warm-up and glad you showed me nice parts of Greece that i would missed if i was solo.

thanks for the company and for following along.

Ian. riding with you was like having an instant money exchanger......i took a lot your euros and even brought home at least 1k.

seriously i will miss your company. you and your TomTom took us to many fun roads that were impossible for me to find. yes, let's ride again.
  4. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. I'll be in Serbia in a couple of days and will look towards a few sights you posted. The weather has been great so far. They even have a foliage season here in N. Macedonia. Who knew.

Dan

20211021_122445.jpg 20211021_121143.jpg
    MrKiwi and NSFW like this.
  5. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    It’s good to have you back home and safe Joel. Another great chapter in your travel log. I’m really going to miss your nightly photo updates of all these great places that I’ll likely never see in person. I’m so glad you quit that stupid job you had.
    rjnutt, NSFW and villageidiot like this.
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    landed safely in Los Angeles last night and am home now trying to adjust to the routine. to catch my flight from Belgrade to Frankfurt, had to get up at 3:30 am and 30 mins later Perun Moto drove me to the airport. no issue getting through the check-in process, customs, and security since i got all the needed documents....USA vax card, negative covid test, passport, and boarding pass.

it was important i flew Lufthansa since it shares the same terminal with United. that was convenient since i only had 3 hours to catch my connecting flight to LAX. also didn't have check-in luggage and that was a time saver.

they tried hard to get me to miss my flight by switching the gate sign to their national language....:rofl actually after staring at it for 10 seconds or more, it switched to English.
    [​IMG]

one of the perks flying at dawn........:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

upon arrival, ate my favorite German breakfast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the second leg of the flight was Newark-LAX and it wasn't easy. the lines were very long and the security check was tough, but the passengers were calm. what else can we really do? once in the airport our freedom is curtailed to protect us from terrorists and contagious viruses.

only gripe is my departure terminal was in another building about half a mile away. there were airtrams to shuttle people and obviously, the required social distancing had been completely forgotten or ignored or never enforced. all we wanted was go home or get to the next destination.

wrapping it up, it was 90 days in 10 different countries with lots of interesting roads and places. for the amount of time spent, i experienced heat wave and almost freezing temperatures. the people were great and friendly, never felt i was being taken advantage or threatened. no issue in communicating with locals, there were always people who speak English. food was very good, lots of meat. they differ by region but all i liked. the cost of food and accommodation was within my budget. i won't say cheap or affordable cuz those depend on the traveler's spending habit or economic being. the rich western countries will find them as good deals.

didn't drop Ms.Merkel at all. she performed flawlessly and required little service. my Garmin Montana and EU NT are not the best combination to get around. it got me into a lot of trouble and wasted valuable time. the iPhone is better but doesn't have weather protection if mounted on the bar.

losses....aside from the stuff i forgot in the hotels or apartments, i broke my iPhone 6+ due to poor phone mount, dropped the GoPro8 at the start of the trip, and the Montana went south when i reached Belgrade.

able to travel in the current situation is a risk with big rewards. it's not a privilege anymore, if you see a possibility, it is an opportunity that should not be put off.

take care guys and ladies....see you again in the future....:y0!
    Rhode trip, dolomoto, scudo and 23 others like this.
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks Dan. you guys are from Vermont and you'll be fine...only desert dwellers like me easily get cold.

Belgrade is not to be missed! it may be old but very vibrant.
    villageidiot, staticPort and MrKiwi like this.
  8. NSFW

Oddometer:
    @Zero HighWays sent me this vid. a day of riding with him and Ian in Slovenia from Maribor to Ptuj and back.

9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i remember riding some of the twisty roads in his vid
  10. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Joel... to the mundane routine :lol3
    NSFW and villageidiot like this.
  11. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I reckon the hardest part of any extended trip are the first two weeks home.
    NSFW likes this.
  12. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, awesome RR. :clap

I'm already planning 22...
    NSFW likes this.
  13. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Just caught up with the last few pages (I was on vacation). Welcome home. I'll hit you up in couple of weeks, maybe we can have lunch with airborndad.
    NSFW likes this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    EDITED

PIPY....:lol2

hey, i love that job, A professional career as an engineer, technical and no b.s., great paycheck, 5 minutes from home, worked independently, nice coworkers, flexible hours, 9 weeks of paid leave, go to the gas station only once a month, what else i could want? presenting my monthly performance on PowerPoint in front of management, which i hate!

stupid is getting used to the daily grind and being too comfortable while ADV time was being lost. it took a lot of nerve to give up all the great benefits but after looking at the 4 walls in my cubicle, quitting was a good choice.

Eric, thank you. i enjoyed taking pictures of different and cool subjects. glad i brought a good camera, otherwise, most of my pics are crapola.

yes one of the best decisions i made in life is leaving my job.....:clap
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    if not for my personal commitment to the Pahrump and nOObs rally....i may have stayed longer somewhere warm and comfortable...any place better than SoCal?

longer...i see my house is falling apart and needs attention...$$$
    i want to sell but where will i move and a new nest may be difficult...:gerg

drove today and i easily noticed that Los Angeles drivers are worse than those in the Balkans....that really sucks.

working on the bikes is a good escape, but paying for multiple vehicle registrations and insurances....:cry

2022 will be a ZOO at the airports and favorite tourists destinations. glad we got our 2021 fix. having electronic devices while going through security check is pita. fly business because of the special line is the way to go.

Scott. will be nice to catch up with you. come to the Pahrump Rally and bring along Keith and the kids.
    joenuclear and villageidiot like this.
  16. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Can't make Pahrump this year, I'll be in Texas visiting The_Thrash_Master at college. Yeah...you read that right...college........Sophomore already..lol
    NSFW likes this.
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    having a subscription to GoPro Plus allowed me to exchange my broken 8 to a brand new unit and the same model at a cost of almost $100. new is about $345. not too bad after all.

upload_2021-11-2_19-58-59.png

let's see how this one will last
    [​IMG]

i would not bother fixing the iphone 6plus since it's old and i can't upgrade to the latest IOS. i can always use it as a camera since it has 64 gb storage and gps.

took me 8 days and getting better every day. the cold weather in the evening helps a lot. i am ready to start riding this week and head out to the desert. we have a 3-day camping/riding annual meetup in Pahrump NV.

sorry we'll miss you and family...next time

i remember in 2013 we ran into you guys in Big Bear
    upload_2021-11-2_20-25-6.png

good times
    [​IMG]
    mikegc, THRASHED, Perun and 4 others like this.
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    for those wondering how i am coping up with life back home after 3 months of absence.....it was tough. a lot of daydreaming and filling up my time with future planning. now i'm fully in touch meeting friends, riding my favorite roads, and discovering new places.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/california-the-adventure-republic.811515/page-115

[​IMG]

a happy reunion with my AT and i hope Ms.Merkel doesn't get jealous too much.
    [​IMG]
    BillUA, SDR82, mikegc and 7 others like this.
  19. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Young, good looking, ready to go anywhere/anytime and have a good time...

man, that Africa twin is just the best! :imaposer

:beer
    Perun, NSFW and Team Vegas like this.
  20. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Joel.

I'll look after Ms. Merkel for you.

Saw this come up on Belgrade Serbia Craigslist. Made a good deal to downsize from my GS.
    What do you think? LOL!!

20211029_133100.jpg
    Perun, MrKiwi, NSFW and 2 others like this.