riding a thumper, Europe is bigger than i thought

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The bread and bakeries are fantastic in Germany! There is a choice for every taste. I'm so lucky to live there!

What date will you be back here more or less Joel ?
    NSFW and Mr Head like this.
  2. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this RR. I did a six week trip to Europe last year and covered 9,500km thinking I had done a lot. When I came home and mapped where I went, and even though I went through 13 countries, damn I missed so much. My highlight was riding Stelvio Pass. Discovered lots of tunnels in Switzerland.

Reading your RR has just reminded me I have to go back and do more...
    NSFW likes this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    mk, yeah i know. why take home the red mistress when you already have your sweet AT. you could have left red in europe and just keep on going back for her.

there still many places to see and for me, morocco will be the highlight.

lifestyle and freedom. it would be the perfect world if lane sharing is permitted.

haha...yes the bread in france and germany are super good. i ate bread all 3 meals except once when i went to a Vietnamese restaurant......in Germany.

i have a suspicion the wheat makes the difference.....or was the butter?

ard, maybe i'm getting ahead of myself, possibly from July to Sept. would love the cooler months but October might be wet and cold. i can do 3 months if i quit my job, but my employer wants me stay for another year. maybe a compromise and take 2 months in exchange of staying. i have the ideal job as a mechanical engineer and the pay is good, best part is it's only 5 minutes from the house and i get to ride dirt on weekends.

so next year, if i start early in July, would head north to towards Scandanavia. the other plan is go to eastern and southern europe. i want to do the dolomites, all the way to sicily, then across to greece.
    benedikt.m, Dutchgit and MrKiwi like this.
  4. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was a rationale for bringing the red mistress home, but I'm struggling to remember what it is :hmmmmm. Never mind @Sfcootz is going to enjoy riding her in March for ten days. Next time I am in Europe I will be riding with MrsK on the back, the red mistress can't cope with another mistress on the back... :dirtdog
    B10Dave, NSFW and Sfcootz like this.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    that's the way to do it...no more horses and ICE. quieter and smoother especially in an urban setting.

WHAT....@Sfcootz is riding your red mistress? right after she will be at the noobs rally getting a free ride from LAX.....good deal!

MK, it will be interesting what bike you'll be riding next time you're in Europe. i thought my africa twin with DCT would be a perfect choice. the traffic in the big cities are just as bad here and having a DCT makes it easier.
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2018.09.15 Sunday BBQ

on my 21st day, being my last day of the trip, frank organized a small gathering at his house. good food and lots of laughter.
    [​IMG]

we all had a great time and really appreciate the friendliness of everyone and the hospitality of frank and stefan.
    [​IMG]

next morning, frank dropped me off at Dusseldorf airport at 8 am, 3 hours before my flight. it started rough, could not find the Swissair check in counter......found out that Lufthansa bought Swissair and they run the show on the ground. finally got my boarding pass and waited at the gate. the boarding time came and no plane at the gate. i went back to the Lufthansa counter and asked about my flight. i was told that the departure gate was moved to another gate and the plane already left. how did that happen? i tried to complain but they told me to call Swissair. i don't have a phone and asked if i could borrow theirs, the reply is there's a payphone outside. great!

eventually managed to call Swissair, then for about 20 minutes of being passed on to others and getting me to hold and wait. the answer they gave me it was my fault. i should have gone back to the Lufthansa counter and asked why my plane didn't show up. i did but it was already too late. i even pointed out the gate on my boarding pass. so i'm out of luck with these 2 airlines.

since i booked my flight with United and a partner of Swissair, i call united and explained my situation. they saidll that they'll take care of me but first i have to get to Frankfurt. how? by bus, train or another plane. i ended up buying a ticket for $125 so i can fly to Frankfurt, but that will be a 6:30 am the next morning.

i don't want to sleep in the terminal so i got a room outside the airport, which cost me the taxi rides, dinner, breakfast and of course the room.
    [​IMG]

not too bad, old but clean
    [​IMG]

got up at 4:30 and made it back to Dusseldorf airport. same routine, wait in line, get boarding pass, go to the next line, wait and get checked by security

only food available at the boarding area
    [​IMG]

strange breakfast....:lol3
    [​IMG]

hmmm....someone didn't want to pay for a motel room or afraid he'll miss his flight
    [​IMG]

i'm off and homeward bound
    [​IMG]

the farther away from the city, the landscape becomes more calming
    [​IMG]

in the 19 out of my 21 days of riding, these are my instructions to my montana
    [​IMG]

total miles ridden...note that at the top of St. Bernard Pass is where my bike died.
    [​IMG]

i took a counter clockwise route, started in Heidelberg (below Mannheim) and ended in Dusseldorf (Essen). travelled through 6 countries.
    [​IMG]

didn't get the chance to install my new springs, having them would made my ride much better. plan is do it when i return in 2019.
    [​IMG]

frank and stefan are also on a mission. they started in Alaska and it's when they were in Los Angeles i got to meet them.
    [​IMG]

stefan and frank came back a year later where we met again. they insisted that i visit them with a bike in tow. they will keep my bike for as long i want. so i did.
    [​IMG]

thanks to all who chimed in and followed along. specially grateful to all my friends at the BMW X Country thread, not just for helping me diagnosed my bike problem, but to know that i'm not alone and they're out there to support a fellow rider.

till next time my friends.....see you in 2019.
  7. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    AWESOME!!!!
    NSFW likes this.
  8. hansen

hansen airhead addict

Oddometer:
    Absolutely great RR, Joel, guess you had a blast!

Was nice to meet you at MRT, would love to hear from you next year!
    NSFW likes this.
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a cool trip Joel. See you tomorrow for all the rest of the story. Thanks for taking us along.
    NSFW likes this.
  10. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up and pics.....for sure looks like fun on 2 wheels!! Thanks again!!
    NSFW likes this.
  11. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Hopefully see you next year Joel !
    NSFW likes this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along Joel. It was quite a ride.
    NSFW likes this.
  13. aspad

aspad Empty Suit Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. Thanks for writing it all up. Wonderful.:clap
    NSFW likes this.
  14. JorgeTeix

JorgeTeix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Thanks.
    Greetings from Portugal.
    NSFW likes this.
  15. C5dad

C5dad Man on the Run!

Oddometer:
    A great ride. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to 2019!
    NSFW likes this.
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:

thanks for the kind words. sorry took me a while to reply. i was very busy in the last several days, rjnutt and todd157k are my witnesses

https://advrider.com/f/threads/4th-annual-pahrump-nv-rally-nov-1-4-2018.1291527/page-39

see you all again in 2019...:wave
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2019 planning is on! i gave my employer a notice that i'm taking 2-3 months....lol

but first, ms. merkel is getting the love she needs.

thanks to my friends for taking ms. merkel to a shop in Dusseldorf

oil change
    [​IMG]

valve adjustment
    [​IMG]

waiting for new fork seals and dust wiper plus heavier springs front and rear
    [​IMG]
  18. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Good for you, Joel. :clap:clap
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks scott.

still not sure if 2-3 months is a good idea. i haven't done a ride that long. the 3 weeks i did last fall left me exhausted. being away from home could be stressful too.

maybe ride 5 days and rest for 2. but being there hanging out will make me restless since there are too many places to see. i know, can't see all of them.
  20. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    2-3 months means you won't be as rushed. Slower pace, less miles per day, more rest days. I would imagine that will keep you from getting exhausted.
    GiorgioXT and NSFW like this.