riding a thumper, Europe is bigger than i thought

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 23, 2018.

1. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Alright, Joel. Enough screwing around in Europe. Get your butt home. You got a rally to honcho!!!
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Annual ADV Pahrump Rally is calling me.

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

It’s time.
    Mr Head, GalacticGS, BillUA and 7 others like this.
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Malloy thanks.

the only viable option I have is go north. I have been following a few ride reports and it seems the coastal road is the direct route and also good riding.

you’re welcome BB. thanks also for tagging along.
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Robbie. Ok, here in Frankfurt for the night, tomorrow morning will be heading home. yes I have a lot of stuff to do for the rally. Including the need to set up the 701 or i will be riding the honda monkey.

glad you guys are staying on top of the rally thread.
  5. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK Joel, How was the beer in Greece? :ear
    NSFW likes this.
  6. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for taking the time to post a most excellent RR. I really enjoyed your trip and your eye for good pictures is, as they say, worth a thousand words.
    Davethestick and NSFW like this.
  7. Tacticalmedic

Tacticalmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That jet looks like a Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter variant. Just my 2 cents.
    NSFW likes this.
  8. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report Joel. Thanks for letting us ride along through all of your great pictures. Hopefully one day I’ll get the chance to do something like that.
    NSFW likes this.
  9. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    @NSFW what an awesome RR :clap Thank you for taking the time to post pics and share your experiences it was amazing to follow along.
    NSFW, SpongeRob and Davethestick like this.
  10. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job on the RR - I've added a ton of places to my "to go" list.

Questions -
    1) How much do you pay for bike storage in Europe?
    2) What country do you insure it in? How much does insurance cost?
    3) Is there a time limit that you can keep your bike in Europe? Is there a temporary import bond for bringing a bike in?
    4) Advantages / disadvantages buying a bike there vs shipping one over and leaving it there?

My old v-strom commuter bike would be a perfect candidate to ship overseas -- it has so many miles that it is pretty much worthless, yet it will run forever with minimal maintenance...
    NSFW likes this.
  11. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) You can use Stefan Knopf as a yardstick - he charges $350/year. There are others: Wheatwacker in Ireland, Dooby in Croatia, MotoCamp in Bulgaria may be cheaper but are not terribly convenient for getting in and out.
    2) The green Card insurance will run 60-200 euro/month. They all use the same underwriter (Zurich) but supposedly the service you get if you hit something also varies greatly. Mo bettah to just get the insurance as a "get out of jail free card" and just don't hit anything. In over 35k miles of riding in Europe, I've never been asked to show it, but wouldn't sleep well if I didn't have it.
    3) Yes - 6 months. But, there is no mechanism in place to keep track of bike - you can figure out what that means yourself:D. There can be a temporary import bond demanded - depends on the particular customs office. I you pay somebody to take care of the temporary import paperwork, they'll know how to avoid the bond, but i believe its only a matter of time before this all becomes much more difficult.
    4) For a US plated bike, no worries about paperwork, inspections, etc once its there. Just keep the US registration current to avoid raising any red flags. Insurance is cheaper for a EU plated bike. Not many cops around in Europe, but there are a lot of cameras - which can't do much with a US plate. Plus you meet a lot of interesting people that come over to talk to you just because of the unusual plate.

The v-strom would be perfect, just do a bunch of preventative maintenance before shipping if it has a bunch of miles. My rule is don't embark on any journeys like this on a bike that you can't afford to walk away from. DAMHIK
  12. Ian.H

Ian.H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride NSFW.....you managed to cover quite a lot of ground.
    I will be heading south next year so we may bump into each other on the road.
    Anyway it was nice having you here and feel free to call in anytime you're passing this way.
    NSFW likes this.
  13. hansen

hansen airhead addict

Oddometer:
    Great trip & RR, thanks again for sharing! Maybe see you next year somewhere in northern Europe?
    NSFW likes this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    sorry, got nothing!

but if you ask me what food i enjoy?

it has to be baby octupus...:dukegirl
    [​IMG]

thanks for tagging along and for the complements.

i don't have the skill in words to convey them in an articulated manner. non-verbal method is easy and fast. i don't even use capitalized letter at the start of the sentence.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    you're welcome Eric.

it is possible, but don't quit your job yet. save $10k and put it aside. when the time comes, do it and that $$$ will last 3 months in many parts of EU. i remember someone made a comment that's it's cheaper to travel in EU than living in the states. for instance in CA - monthly expense, rent approx is $1500, food $1k, add utilities, insurance, etc.

thanks KICK and glad you enjoy the RR

hello Ian. i should have said above that in Southern Poland, there's an inmate with a beautiful big house and a garage full of tools where they can stay for free.....:ricky

Krakow is definitely a beautiful city!

thanks also to Anna for the hospitality, including laundry. i'm sure we'll see each other again. your location is great, close enough to the good riding areas

of course having me subscribed to Ventusky weather website, i was able to avoid inclement weather and helped me choose where to go or route to take.

how's your vegetable garden that i tilled the soil with love and sweat....:lol3
    [​IMG]

Ian, you're one of the best!
    [​IMG]

Hans, thanks for all the guidance, getting me the rear tire, tips and routes (though i didn't do all of them). having me use Kurviger helped me a lot, it's great planning tool, especially in Tuscany.

maybe we'll see each other again at MRT in Gieboldehausen. did you go this year?
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    bike storage, initially i think like 40 euros/month (it varies by location), then last year and this year, residential storage, i paid them with everlasting friendship....:D

90 days comprehensive insurance is 255 dollars or euros. they don't sell insurance to cover our bikes

i read that we have to ship the bike out once we're done or after a given amount of time, but there's no system yet for tracking the whereabouts of our vehicles.

keep the registration current, though i see some u.s. bikes with an expired tag. when i was in Italy, the LEOS were looking at my plate and one of them was pointing to the 2019 tag. my guess, he's telling the other LEO that i have a legit registration. can you confirm that in AZ they only pay registration once every 5 years. if that's the case, use AZ registration.

shipping and other expenses is about $1600 one way. since i plan to ride my bike there for 2 more years or 90 days/year, i prefer to store it there.

in Greece, it looks like 15% of the bike out there is Vstroms. i agree with Pukawai, bring a bike that you can walk away in case the cost of fixing it will be costly. if it's not a money issue, time is what we don't have. we only have a 90-day guest visa in EU Schengen countries. if necessary, we could always cool off in Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, UK, Ireland and a few other European countries.

renting a bike for many works great since they only have 1 - 3 weeks of holiday. in my case, that's about $100/day x 90 days + fuel, insurance and accommodation which is another $100/day (also avoiding Germany, France, Switzerland, etc.).

i would do major maintenance on the Vstrom and ship it or fly the bike and you with Air Canada.
  17. babisadve

babisadve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
  19. hansen

hansen airhead addict

Oddometer:
    Yes, and will most likely go next year too. First beverage is on me. :beer
    NSFW likes this.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    ok thanks and i will keep an eye on their website.

https://www.motorrad-reise-treffen.de/einladung

my mistake. it's in Gieboldehausen, not Goettinngen
    Mr Head likes this.