riding a thumper, Europe is bigger than i thought

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 23, 2018.

1. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Thought this was kind of interesting. Tried a new podcast at work today and one of the girls on it was talking about a 2-1/2 month trip of Eastern Europe that she just got back from. She was mostly riding a BMW F650 but also did a week on a monkey clone with about 35 other people. She rode some of the same places as you at the same time. You may have crossed paths with her at some point or those three guys on the monkeys you came across were likely part of her group. Here’s a link to the podcast. The part I’m referring to starts just past the 42 minute mark. Maybe also some ideas for next years ride.
    https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/motorcycles-misfits-podcast/e/64880622?autoplay=true

Here’s a link to her riding journal.
    https://www.zeetraveler.com/august2019.html
    black top bob, BillUA and NSFW like this.
  2. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi NSFW

I just stumbled across your entertaining report :clap

As hansen has already said: On the left there is the formidable Jean Gabin. This picture refers to the film "Un singe en Hiver".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Monkey_in_Winter_(film)

black top bob, NSFW and plumer1kt like this.
  3. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Small World! That's a mere 5 miles from Hattorf where I spent a few days repairing my GS with the help of some new friends late April this year.
    black top bob likes this.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks biggie. a bmw thumper and a monkey, haha i could play her role.

this got me to google both actors. now i fully understood why Belmondo's faced looks beaten up, he started as a professional boxer. i think that distinct facial feature added more character and appeal.

yep. having a BMW breakdown in Germany or nearby countries is nothing to worry about.
    DunkingBird likes this.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    greek food has been one of my favorites. can't wait to go back and i need a fix. glad i ate here (not the same but it's on my way to the Pahrump Rally last weekend)
    [​IMG]

obviously not in Greece but solved my craving
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another Belmondo video.This time Omar Sharif initiates him on Greek food....

As you can see you need a local guide for that.
    Are you ready to add few pounds and off-road miles on Central-Southern Greece before exploring Aegean islands?
    Depending on the time you'll return i'll be glad to guide you through Greek mountains and divine local flavors .
    black top bob, NSFW and DunkingBird like this.
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    can't get any better having a riding buddy and local guide! thanks.

my plan for 2020 is fly into Athens possibly in mid July. no bike just do the touristy stuff, seeing the ancient buildings and museums, eating local food and meeting people. i like to visit, at least 2 islands in the Aegean Sea.

then 10 days later, head up to Thessaloniki and pick up the bike. there are couple of adv riders who want to do the TET with me but we haven't talk about it in details, dates and routes? so, it's still ?

after 1 more week in Greece, i'll ride north sometime first or 2nd/3rd week of August, taking the Balkans seasides, then to Venice. the weather is the deciding factor to ride in Corsica, Sardinia and Tunisia.
  8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Off the ferry and grab a scooter maybe? Naxos is a nice island. (And I had fun on a KLX250 on Crete earlier this year, pretty cheap rental for a brand new bike).
    You're making me jealous, but I might be there before you - the islands are so easy by motorbike.

Edit: and if you want to avoid long ferry rides, Aegean Air and Sky Express have reasonable flights.
    black top bob and NSFW like this.
  9. nortoneye

nortoneye n00b

Oddometer:
    Pictures bring back memories of visiting Rothenburg, a must if touring Bavaria. An earlier comment mentioned the NSU museum, well worth visiting.
    NSFW likes this.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

i heard from friends who stayed in the nicer islands that the cost is $$$, way beyond my 100 euros/day budget

can bump up my daily living cost, but just to see most of them, i would need at least a month.

now, i'm the one who's envious.

Rothenburg is a perfect example of a restored medieval castle. my mind keeps on telling me to go back to Germany for more exploration. i agree.

meanwhile, we just wrapped up a big rally in the Southern Nevada desert.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/5th-annual-pahrump-nv-adv-rally-oct-31-nov-3-2019.1382093/page-41

ADV founder
    [​IMG]

as usual, i like to monkey around on my monkee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I visited 7 of them with about 3 nights on each on my way to Turkey on my R80GS in '93. Every time anyone mentions them, I think I need to get back there and do a few more (probably the Dodecanese or the northern ones). I'm looking for a lighter bike for a similar trip.
    NSFW and plumer1kt like this.
  12. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true. I've only had the pleasure of visiting two Greek islands so far, neither on this map, but for "Western" Europe they were relatively cheap. Scooter rental $20/day if you don't take your own bike), accommodations another $25, and $25 -$30 for plenty of good food. Of course, if "nice" means "well known" like Mykonos or Santorini, then your statement may be true, but many of those islands on the map most people haven't even heard of and probably most are quite worth visiting. As for time, who cares? You're retired! While Greece is Schengen, everything around it is not - most of the Balkans, Turkey, Georgia (no, not the one next to Alabama!) and don't count against your Schengen time. Not to mention the costs the will leave you with plenty of surplus to go visit Norway for maybe 2 days... These southern regions are doable much later in the year than most of Europe.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  13. dirty adventurer

dirty adventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit late for the ride as usual....Amazing ride......Got me dreaming about going further out.

Thanks for taking the time to document your amazing experiences!
    black top bob and NSFW like this.
  14. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So,no bike in athens...
    And in 10 days you want to see all the tourist stuff plus visiting two islands in Aegean...

Spend ONE day in athens to see the parthenon ,the acropolis museum,walk around the center and eat in a restaurant in Plaka.
    Next morning get in a ferry and go to explore the beauty of the Aegean Sea.
    And by that i DO NOT mean mykonos santorini or paros.
    As i wrote in a previous post about the restaurants "if you see a menu in english run away" ,more or less , same is for the places to visit.
    There was a question here on adv : "Are you a Traveller or a Tourist?"
    And my answer was :
    "Tourist = scheduled trips and most times with a guide.....physical or digital...Destination is what he seek.
    Traveller = non scheduled,without guide (GPS is only for help) ,seeking freedom.Destination is the cause for the trip,not the reason!
    Are you a sheep or a wolf?"

Speaking to a "wolf" ,i suggest to visit the cyclades ,but as much away from the tourist industry.
    That said,here are the islands you can visit with your backpack and nothing more...
    Pick one of them
    I prefer Koufonisia [​IMG][​IMG]
    Three days here.
    And then take the ferry to Amorgos
    [​IMG]
    Anybody remember the “The Big Blue” movie?

Grab a scooter (you already have your backpack) and spend three days here.
    For the last three days take the ferry and go to the Cave of the Apocalypse!
    That's two hours east of amorgos in the island of patmos

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Again grab a scooter and explore the island ,especially the north part,and the Cave of the Apocalypse.
    If you have the time,pass to the Arki island (but don't blame me if you feel the need to apply for a permanent visa....):D.[​IMG]
    !!!

Nicer??????:nono
    100 euro/day are more than enough to cover everything + the ferry tickets and the scooter.
    If you follow a "path" like the above.
    Again.....you are a "wolf".

+1
  15. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, sir,
    Jean Reno is another phenomenal French character.

By the way, plumer1kt, one day I'll have to hire you as a Greek tour guide :clap

NSFW, MrKiwi and plumer1kt like this.
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    back in the states, all we know there are only 2 Greek islands....Mikonos and Santorini...forgive my ignorance. .....:lol3
    [​IMG]

really, the Greek tourism should put more time and resources selling the other islands. spread the tourists and make us stay longer.

i read in many ride reports, exiting Schengen and entering a non-Schengen country, they don't stamp your passport. how does that get deducted? am i wrong to assume?

hello John and thanks for tagging along. yes you can do it and ride the dream.
    black top bob and MrKiwi like this.
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    having a moto in a big city is less worry and doesn't really appeal to me since most of the time is spent indoors, historical places, restaurants, museums.

we're so uninformed that we never thought there are other beautiful places in Greece to see. another issue is many tourists have little vacation time and we just go to places on top of the billboards.

yes on scooter, fun and convenient. thanks for all the helpful info. i will figure out a way so we can meet and show my appreciation for being my virtual guide.

always very invaluable to have locals helping us.
    DunkingBird likes this.
  18. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They do.But they seek a bigger number of tourists ,so Europe is their targeting market.
    It is cheap for a european citizen to come in greece
    Americans or australians need to spend much more money just to get here.
    Because there are not so many to visit greece there is no need for advertising .
    I did a search for air ticket prices from Berlin and LA to athens. 46 euro from Berlin and 586 euro from LA.That's a big difference (google result -lowest price).
    So if an american decide to spend a huge amount of money then mykonos and santorini are the destinations tourist agents will promote.
    Since Greece does not longer exist as a country ,yes everything is sold and soon will not exist as a nation too,things are going to change,
    Chinese already own half of the tourist businesses in santorini and they keep buying properties and businesses everywhere.
    So don't be surprised if you find air tickets from 150 euro and holiday promotions "to the exotic koyfonisia" few years later.

Yes you are right,having a bike downtown won't help.I thought that you'd start from Thessaloniki all the way down ...
    Anyway northern greece has beautiful places to visit such as Chalkidiki [​IMG][​IMG]
    do all the three legs and visit AGION OROS .Lifetime experience if you spend a night there.

I'll stop here posting places....it's your thread and it's you to post photos if you visit them.BTW i'll be glad to help and suggest if you like.Just ask for.
    We will when you visit athens. Virtual?How about a visit to the Temple of Poseidon in sounio?
    [​IMG]
    That's 70 km SE of athens along the coastline.We can go with the transalp.
  19. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, selling the other islands would be good for the Tourists, but really BAD for Travellers. Experiences you have in the tourist zones are all kind of the same all over just different old stuff to see, and the most memorable interactions with locals or discovery of some unpublicised site will be outside these zones. I'm happy there's still many places that are not being "sold" - yet.

True, with the elimination of so many borders in Europe, some of the remaining ones can be a bit... umm lax.
    But, if it's important to you, you can insist that they stamp it (It is their job!). Kind of like going to Baja - i think you can still cross the border without stopping and the onus is on you to get stamps and permits if you go further. I accidentally crossed the border into Bosnia and the border guy just sort of waved me on, annoyed that I interrupted his sleep, but I insisted on the stamp for the simple reason of precluding issues with some overzealous guard when I left the country.
    NSFW likes this.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    with all the good stuff to see on the Aegean sea, i might just ride down south. cause once i leave Greece, it will be many years or never i will be able to ride those places.

tourists never bother me. i and my camera, in the eyes of many is another tourist.....:lol3

from an earlier post, Croatia will be a part of the Schengen countries in the future. if that happens, i can

funny you mentioned about Mexico. when i entered Germany, the custom police looked at all the entry and exit stamps on my passport. he mentioned Mexico since i didn't have an exit stamp (as far as what's on my passport, i'm still in MX)....we'll he just gave me a stearn look. he knew i brought a lot of euros to spend in EU.
    hansen, plumer1kt and MrKiwi like this.