riding a thumper, Europe is bigger than i thought

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 23, 2018.

1. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    edit: nevermind.

Any reference to Ryan Dungey at the museum? He really helped put KTM on the map in the USA.

NC

black top bob likes this.
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU NC....:thumb

are you going back to EU once the current pandemic situation is over? i was in WA for about 4 weeks moto-camping but home now. wish we hooked up.

damnnn....how did i forget? RD is my hero too and one of the nicest guys out there. RD, Roger de Coster and the KTM team put all their best effort to win the many championships and podium finishes. while i was in Mattighoffen, i spoke to a very friendly person, name is Michael Viertlmayr and i thanked him for his contribution to Ryan's success.

Dungey has won every major title in American motocross and supercross. He won the world's largest international motocross race, the Motocross des Nations three times. He has seven major AMA championships. Dungey is tied for 6th place in all-time 450 Supercross race wins (33) and 6th place in all-time Supercross combined wins (44). He holds the record for consecutive podium finishes in Supercross at 31.

Ryan deserves to be a champion and a true champion!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my apology to all the fans and shame on me...:ricky
    dtysdalx2 and NumberCruncher like this.
  3. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Now that you’re looking back on this ride Joel, how do you feel about it? Does it feel like it was almost a year ago, 5 months ago, 5years ago? Can you still remember most of the places or are they starting to blur together? Are there any things you regret having not done or any you wished you hadn’t bothered doing? Any places you wouldn’t mind living in. Any plans to go back soon? How’s Ms Merkel?
    HandCanonShootr likes this.
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    in retrospect, it's a good feeling to leave a job that i love and also pays. no regrets in all counts!

most places are still vivid in my memory and constantly revisiting them in my mind especially in the current situation while stuck at home. made several friends and still in touch with them. glad i did this RR for me to go back to put a smile on my face now and then.

wish i was able to stay longer but 90 days in the Schengen countries is max

riding a thumper is great and i get to enjoy the countryside. now that it seems i had enough, i would like to have a bigger displacement bike next time so i can quickly get from one place to another by jumping on the highway. even toying the idea of shipping my Africa Twin next. in short, on a big bike, i can cherry-pick the places i want to go. in many parts, small towns appear to be all identical. quaint, quiet and deserted.

last night, i was looking at airbnb and thought of home-base in Britanny for 1 month. good location to reach southern France, Spain and even Morocco. then spend one month to transit to my next home-base which is north of Hamburg. this will bring me closer to the Netherlands and Scandanavia, of course, Nordcapp will be my target.

also a possibility is to add a month or 2, spend more time in the Balkans and Turkey.

if i can sell Ms. Merkel to a California resident tooling around in EU, that will be a good start so i can move on to a larger bike. also a possibility to loan it to a friend.....:wink:

very happy i did this trip before the pandemic. the future remains uncertain and we can't really plan anything.

there are many places i want to live in EU and have few places in mind, unfortunately i need a long term or permanent visa.
  5. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    No apologies needed. You had an image of RD in your second series of photos on KTM racers. Your first series had mostly ADV bike and then it appeared you switched topics. The next series of images had the mx bikes and an image of Ryan but by then I had already posted which is why I edited.

It would have been cool to meet up with you in Washington State and you are certainly welcome to crash at my place the next time you are in town.

I am not certain of what my next long term trip will be for two big reasons. That BMW bike has worn out camshafts and even if BMW fixes it, I may not trust the bike again. The bigger issue is that I was diagnosed with early onset arthritis at the age of 47. Just typing these words causes me pain and I cannot see me riding at all in as few as three years. I won't bore you or anyone else with more bull shoot on the subject but I have had some pretty dark thoughts of where this can end up.

OTOH, I am pretty well off financially and may just sell the BMW, buy a V85TT, V-Strom 1050 or the new V4 Multistrada and just head for Ushuaia and take whatever comes my way for as long as a I can.

Still reading this thread at page 30 and then I'll get caught up on your other travel posts.

NC

6. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Post Ms Merkel on the flea market as for sale in Europe with CA plates at a good price. Make sure to mention the extra attention and privileges that plate is likely to bring if they are not an a-hole. It might be just the incentive someone needs to go over there and ride without having to worry about the bike part of it. That would put you one bike down. Then you could send the AT over there leaving a spot in your garage for the 700 Tenere.
    NSFW likes this.
  7. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, and direct any potential buyers to this awesome ride report. Not only will it inspire them to get over there and ride, but it will show how dependable Ms Merkel was and how she’s a great bike for their travels.
    HandCanonShootr and NSFW like this.
  8. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the RR, photos and text are great. Having lived in Germany and traveled around Europe, I need to go back and see it on a motorbike!
    NSFW likes this.
  9. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Bummer that 2020 was messed up. Aegean islands are still on my ASAP to-do list.
    NSFW likes this.
  10. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    NSFW,

Would you live permanently in the EU or just stay for a while? Maybe you want to retire to a place that is not as volatile as the US right now. It is none of my business on a personal level I am just not certain if you want to do long term traveling around Europe or stay indefinitely. I only say because I have read of at least a couple folks here on ADV that get excited about living someplace else and if you ever read about folks who have done that it is typically much easier to move to a foreign country than to move back to the USA.

Since you are in California I will assume your house is worth enough money you could buy a fairly new, nice home in Texas or Floria and pay cash for it. You can take the rest of the money you pocket and travel at will but still have a place in the US that is paid for and always your home. I really enjoy the foreign travel but also really like having a house to come back to. I could never be the guy who sells his house and lives on a bike or even a motorhome for that matter.

I can see the appeal in a smaller bike for travel like you did but a large twin that isn't too heavy would work much better for faster roads but will still be okay for light off roading. When I win the lottery I'll both of us new Tiger 900s LOL.

Still reading your report and also reread my own last night. Fun to think we were both there two years ago and you were able to get back. I still hope to do some part of Mexico and at least Central America. I speak pretty solid Spanish and what it really nice about all of CA and SA is that a little Spanish is all you need for the entire hemisphere. You'll need Portuguese in Brazil but there is probably enough English spoken that one can get by.

NC

11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    winter will soon be in EU, so i will wait before the riding is on season again. potential buyer may need more time to decide and make plans.

i assume Ms. Merkel needs a new battery and getting a replacement if it won't hold charge. glad to have a friend in Greece doing all the work.

consider ourselves lucky for the chance to enjoy the many places in EU. it will take sometime before we see some form of normalcy.

thanks for chiming in.

don't forget to bring the Speedo when the time comes. as for 2020, i'm fortunate enough to spend 2 months in Asia and another 2 months in the Pacific Northwest. not bad and planning to fill in the rest of the year with more riding here. we're blessed here in Socal that winter is a riding season. still getting stuck at home for a total of 4+ months is driving me restless.
    DavidM1 and benedikt.m like this.
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    even though it's free of a lien, selling my house in CA and moving out-of-state means i'm not coming back cuz i could no longer afford to buy one next time in a place i would want to live. if i sell, it would be somewhere closer to the coast in a modest and quiet community. i see lots of Californians are moving out of state because of affordability, better environment, tax break and extreme #@&$^@!* that i prefer not to say here to cause unnecessary discussion.

other states have attractions too, but really haven't look at them. my recent trip to WA and OR, i enjoyed my stay and liked the places. not totally convinced because of the cold and wet weather. TX and FL will provide me extra $$ in my bank account, but living 40 years here in Socal, it will be very hard to make adjustments due to my personal preference.

living in a foreign land would be a new experience and not oppose to it but i will rent first. use it as my home base and explore the surrounding places. if the current rise in stock prices continues, then i can afford to buy a small house elsewhere.

SA is good too, great riding, low cost and local flavor....:D

wish you win the lotto, i like the new Tiger 900, 93 hp, 443# dry, it's a triple, spoked tubeless, etc. what is not to like...the price! damn!

Surcease, dtysdalx2 and benedikt.m like this.
  13. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    I sat on that bike today. They also had an all white one.

After I claim my winnings tomorrow I'll place a deposit on both bikes.

NC

NSFW and DavidM1 like this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    did we win?....:jump

same here, i'll take the white one!

after reading the specs, the 900 is an impressive bike.

15. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    The Ticket was a loser. Bought another one for tonight we'll try again.

I just now finished your report fantastic!

NC

NSFW likes this.