Riding across America in support of Alzheimer's Disease June 15, 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Radioman, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    Hello ADV Riders!

Started a thread in Inmates with details about my motorcycle fundraising ride across America for the "longest day" honoring caregivers and families facing Alzheimer's and related dementia's.

June 15th, 2016 I will be starting my ride from Congressman Kurt Schraders office in Oregon City, Oregon. Will ride the nearly 3,000 miles to Washington DC to meet with him personally to thank him for his support and encourage him to continue fighting for more funding of research.

If you want to donate to this effort her is the link. All donations are appreciated:

http://act.alz.org/site/TR?px=9100454&fr_id=8480&pg=personal

Wanted to have a Ride report of my journey, starting with my bike Prep this weekend onto the ride starting next Wednesday!! I encourage you to follow along, comment, donate, come find me on the ride and share a few miles.

More information starting tomorrow!
    grcamna1 likes this.
  2. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pushing you all the best Radioman,

Most know Chris' and your story, you won't be alone on the endeavor.

Safe travels Mark!
    simbaboy likes this.
  3. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    :lurk
  4. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    :wave :wave Friends.... Love the ADVrider community
  5. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Elijah Cummings' voter, constituent, supporter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go RadioMan!!! :thumb
    Very IN>
  6. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    Saturday/Sunday Prepping for the trip.

Getting all set up for this adventure and fundraising for Alzheimer's has been a bit hectic. This weekend, I needed to get my prep started and finished before I was ready to ride. Always a mix of excitement and nervousness before starting off on this kind of cross country trip.

Had a few fun ideas as I was starting this "longest Day'. .....

First was to get the color purple -- The color of the Alzheimer's cause, into the mix!! Had a older helmet.... So i sanded it slightly, and got it ready to paint.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Masked if off after adding some words on the helmet.

[​IMG]

On goes the purple

[​IMG]

While the helmet is drying.... Bike trip of this kind needs new "shoes" for the motorcycle.

[​IMG]

Removed the rear wheel and tire. They are really old and dried out.... Sitting while I was on my RTW ride.

[​IMG]

Onto my motorcycle tire machine....

[​IMG]

New shoes on the bike

[​IMG]

Then switched out the front tire

[​IMG]

Sunday while I was prepping the bike, my Advocate friend Wendy stopped by with a Purple vest for me and my ride!! Cool!! Big thanks for Wendy!

[​IMG]

Inside my Top box is a map of all the states I ridden in on this bike. Somehow I missed riding in two of them. Maybe on this ride.

[​IMG]

Added a few stickers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Indeed we need to end Alzheimer's Now!!

#Schradertoschrader #1271 #endalz #longestday
  7. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    And the finished helmet !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    v4play, simbaboy and sopascat like this.
  9. v4play

v4play Throttlephile

Oddometer:
    Following along...safe journey Mark!
  10. Jibby

Jibby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride Radioman, Ride.

I wish I could go with you and document the trip but alas.

Have fun and be safe.

Jibby
  11. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Mark whats the plan for ur route?
  12. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    Just 24 hours before this Ride across the country begins! I can feel the nerves and excitement in my body. Have a full day of work to do today, then final packing before I will be ready to go!!

This is the basic route. Riding roughly 600 miles per day. Not much time for stops to connect, but if you want to follow along or join me... Let me know.

Mark

[​IMG]
    TwoBigCats likes this.
  13. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
  14. capeklr

capeklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bit far for us to ride along with you, but will be following along here.
    Currently know three people suffering from Alzheimer's.
  15. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Take the WV route it's only 2hrs longer but 100x more fun
  16. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Hey mark,

All the best, supporting you from afar.

Cheers,

JM and TM.
  17. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Hey All, I had the opportunity to intercept Mr Radioman as he was coming through Boise. I was a quick visit as he had serious ground to keep covering to stay on schedule. Alas it was good to see my old Riding Partner from our south of the border excursion. He also wanted to see my new old man ride in which he said "Sam you can finally put your feet on the ground when stopped" or words to that effect. Really good seeing you Mark; your doing a good thing for society to rid of us a bad thing through funds for research... keep it up.

DSCN1492.JPG DSCN1492.JPG

Attached Files:

18. burley

burley alaskan wanderer

Oddometer:
    Bravo, get the word out
  19. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    June 15th. Day 1 of my "Longest day" Ride across america for Alzheimer's Association to raise awareness and continue to fight for more funding of Alzheimer's and related dementia research. I am also calling it "Schrader to Schrader" which was the motivation when the idea of doing something for they Longest day event. I could have done it just on June 20th summer solstice, but as this idea grew, it just made more sense to me to make it a bigger ride to engage congressman Schrader both in Oregon and in DC. But also to include so many motorcycle riders that have experienced this disease. Have had so many conversations while I rode around the world, around camp fires, or between rides with those impacted. Combined my passions of motorcycle riding and Advocacy for Alzheimer's disease.

Started out with a meeting at my Congressman Kurt Schrader's office in Oregon City, Oregon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Start with the starting Mileage.

[​IMG]

Started with a meeting with the Congressmans staff to thank them for their support and to continue to be with us to help more funding and bills that help families facing this disease.

Then had to bring the main contact out for a Photo!!

[​IMG]

Had a group of Alzheimer's Association Oregon Chapter staff and supporters arrive to send me off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also had one of my good friends and fellow advocates present me with a "check" donating to my efforts. :wave :wave Wendy!!

[​IMG]

Had one rider join me. Angel's mom has the disease and joined us at a meeting with Oregon lawmakers in Salem earlier this year. This disease is so very hard on everyone that experiences it personally.

We are off! Heading east out the Colombia River Gorge. and our first stop at Multinomah Falls. One of origins biggest tourist sites. (or as Lu Fei would say "it's just a waterfall".... Long story but still makes me laugh!).

Will take a close up photo today, but wanted to say that this ride is personal. My late wife Chris had early onset Alzheimer's Disease. I do this ride in honor of Chris Donham. We rode many miles together in life, and feels right that she joins us. If you notice on my bike is her Red helmet. She is my ghost rider. Brings tears to my eyes :cry, but as I twist the throttle propelling me eastward, I can often feel the helmet touching my back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this first stop a woman walks up to ask if we wanted a photo together. We told he about the ride. She immediately says; "I want to donate, my husband has early dementia, we need to find a cure" . WOW.

[​IMG]

Then it's back on the road again. Twist the throttle. Reflect on the adventure ahead.

[​IMG]

The Oregon countryside changes as I ride... I get into the groove!

[​IMG]

And as I get to eastern Oregon, the dark clouds build. It seems like a good analogy for the journey with Alzheimer's disease. Its a journey full of unexpected experiences, some beautiful beyond words, and others much more heart wrenching and painful as the storm of Alzheimer's rolls in and changes everything.

[​IMG]

Then I come to the end of Oregon. Stop for a quick photo, and video. I'm underway.... 400 miles and counting

[​IMG]

As I rolled into Boise, Idaho I had checked in with some friends..... IdahoSam rode on over on his new Ride.... and Mike and Cindy came to wish me well!! (ladybug, Sam had the rain all ready for me in Boise :) So grateful for friends and supporters along the way!

[​IMG]

Mike and Cindy knew I had limited time but wanted to make sure I had something to eat. Handed me a full bag of food ! WOW. Kindness and love is really powerful. After our quick hello... I was off with a nice spread of food that I would eat for dinner!

[​IMG]

Fresh cut Strawberries. Yum!!

[​IMG]

Rolled into Burly, ID.. Stopped at a cheap motel. Ending Mileage for the day. 638 Miles under my belt and headed eastward.

[​IMG]

Just 2,280 Miles to Washington DC.

[​IMG]

At the gas stops my Vest had people asking; "what's end Alz?"..... Had some great conversations!!

[​IMG]

Time to stop writing the Ride Report and get back on the road! Will spot up again tonight or tomorrow morning as I get back into the groove of posting and riding.
  20. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I have been following you for a couple or more years. I have read your wife's and your journey through a couple of times. I plan to donate thru your link in a few days. Ride on Mark, ride on, love the "ghost rider". I carried my mom's ashes to spread at her home in NC on my back seat, she kept nudging me. So I know that feeling.
    Radioman likes this.