Riding across the country with YT Dave on his W650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by tom c, Oct 7, 2019.

1. tom c

tom c Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it's nice to be retired. I get to spend my days fixing and restoring motorcycles. Some are mine, some are not. My inmate buddy @elmo_4_vt was telling me about his Aunt Mary Anne, who had two motorcycles that were sitting in her garage for a year or so that she wanted to sell. I agreed to look at them, fix what was broken and clean them up for sale. One of them was a 2001 Kawasaki W650:
    Here she is on the trailer when I picked her up:
    [​IMG]
    She had a thick coating of dust but very little rust and the motor cranked well but wouldn't start.

After replacing the plugs and a carb clean she started right up and ran great after a carb sync. Cleaning and polishing ensued, resulting in this:
    [​IMG]

Which went up on the Delaware Craigslist and the Flea Market in September 2019. Most of the CL responses were thinly veiled spammers trying to get me to buy a VIN report. There was a ridiculous lowball offer from an inmate who ought to know better (Luv ya @Scotty P ).

After a couple of weeks I got a PM from @YT Dave, an inmate way out in Gig Harbor WA - he was committed to buy the W650, and planned to ride his 1988 BMW K75 from Gig Harbor all the way to Newark Delaware to complete the sale. In the FM ad I did say that delivery could be arranged anywhere... east of the Mississippi. Washington State was too far to deliver a motorcycle it the bed of my Chevy Colorado. Dave said that he'd find somebody to store the bike for him until such time as he could come get it.

It seemed funny that Dave would ride all the way East to buy a bike that he wasn't going to ride back, so I asked him why. He told me about the BMW Summer MOA mileage contest. Put a zillion miles on your BMW, going through who knows how many sets of tires, and win.... a set of tires. Well to each his own I guess :)

Anyway, Dave is committed to the contest. His GPS tracks on Spotwalla documenting his miles for this event is impressive to say the least.
    [​IMG]

Well that explains Dave's wanting to ride to Delaware from Washington State. Still it was unresolved what to do with the W650 - My garage is kinda full of my own bikes, and the longer I was in posession of the W650, the more likely it was that I'd knock it over or something to mar her state of near perfection. I just can't keep nice things.

Then it hit me - I'm retired - what if I rode the W650 back to Washington for Dave? Dave was all for it! He'd ride to Delaware, we'd get the paperwork done to complete the sale, then head back to Washington state together. Great!

This is one of the great things about ADV, and it's not the first time it's happened to me - two inmates, don't know each other from Adam's cat, but we hatch a scheme on the forum to get together for an epic ride! What could possibly go wrong?

The first time I did such a thing with an inmate was a few years ago when @BK.RD.RNR and I met on Thanksgiving morning to ride in the Catskills. A few minutes after I picked Fran up my wife gave me a call just to make sure that I hadn't been kidnapped by a stranger. A few minutes later Fran got the same call from his wife... PS - we had an Awesome ride!​

.....anyway back to this epic ride.

As I write this Dave is making his way through Virginia, slabbing up 81. Here's his tracks so far on this trip:
    [​IMG]
    Dave chose a southerly route East in order to avoid snow in passes and cold weather in the mountains. I expect that we will follow a similar route back home. Dave's distance per day is 500-700 miles, I think it will be a challenge for me to keep that kind of pace but I guess we'll see what happens. We have 9 days to get the W650 back to Washington before the temporary registration expires.

He should get here tomorrow (Tuesday), we will get the paperwork done for the bike sale on Wednesday, replace the rear tire on the BMW, then hit the road on Thursday.

I've added power taps for a USB port to keep my phone charged as well as a cord to run my heated gear, which I tested today to make sure it will keep me toasty should it get cold (which Dave assures me it will).

I also rigged up a rack of sorts so that I can carry a dry bag with clothes and stuff - no camping gear - we are hotel camping the whole way. Here's the rack, made from Aluminum L channel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also added a bar riser to put me back a bit farther on the seat for greater stability.

That's it for now -

I'll try my best to take pictures and post them up here as we are traveling.
    OV10, windblown101, td63 and 13 others like this.
  2. Fire44

Fire44 Old, Slow and Tired

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great adventure! Stay safe and keep us poor working slobs updated with pictures,
    LadyDraco, StayFrosty and CCitis like this.
  3. elmo_4_vt

elmo_4_vt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Completely awesome. Saw my Aunt this weekend and she was in awe of the trip and the help you've given her.

Keep us updated and let us know if you need anything.

Don

-
    LadyDraco likes this.
  4. WayneJ

WayneJ What? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    LadyDraco likes this.
  5. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    Nope nope nope.......not following this thread:D
    mudcrutch and gsweave like this.
  6. Scotty P

Oddometer:
    A real man would jump on 70 west to Denver...............
    LadyDraco, Wood1 and bigfoot2222 like this.
  7. tom c

tom c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's Dave:
    [​IMG]

Here's Dave's K75 "Black Betty": [​IMG]
    His garage is neater than mine. I hope that doesn't mean that we can't get along....

Here's a picture Dave took of Black Betty on his trip out:
    [​IMG]
    I asked him to move the bike over one spot and take another picture:
    [​IMG]
    ...then I told Dave about the Asshole Parking Thread. ;)
    snglfin, garfey, td63 and 11 others like this.
  8. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
  9. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    :eyes
  10. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    LadyDraco likes this.
  11. Bikehigh

Bikehigh Not Dead Yet

Oddometer:
    Living in a van down by the Schuylkill River
    I was gonna say, you're such a nice guy it's hard to imagine somebody not getting along with you ..... or vice versa ..... then you said that. :augie

Be safe. Sounds like a great trip. I got this topic bookmarked.
    norton73 likes this.
  12. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In
  13. Mark_O

Mark_O Drain Bamaged Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    X2
  15. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    :wave
  17. bigfoot2222

bigfoot2222 The red hair makes it exciting

Oddometer:
    It might rain on your trip.

I’ve heard they make some sort of waterproof jacket. You might want to pick one up.
    WVhillbilly, Scotty P and knybanjo like this.
  18. Scotty P

Oddometer:

But is it breathable?
    LadyDraco, Wood1, WVhillbilly and 2 others like this.
  19. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    cheap frog togs are breathable,at least they worked well in asia.
    Did you give that seat a 2hr ride to test its compatability. Long ways go on a bad seat?
  20. WayneJ

WayneJ What? Supporter

Oddometer: