Riding after prostate surgery

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Long Gone, Apr 4, 2013.

1. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really shouldn't worry about my diagnosis. My poor off road riding skill will probably do me in long before the C kills me.

If you want to know more about robotic surgery check out this video:
  2. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Accidentally came across this thread. I'm in with this group of misfits too and thought I'd share my recent experience. Oct 2018 PSA 48, biopsy showed positive and Gleason 9. MRI, CT scan and Bone scan no evidence of cancer anywhere else fortunately. Started down the what do I do trail and ended up doing Proton radiation at Loma Linda University Cancer Center. 39 blasts February and March 2019. Came home on Mar 28 and headed for the mountains to ride sled for three days. No ill affects from the treatment which is the big positive for Proton. Started riding bike as soon as road melted off. So far so good. PSA now <0.1 and also on Lupron for a while longer. Dislike that stuff. We switched to vegan diet, lost 25 lbs, lowered A1C and cholesterol that had me pre-diabetic and stroke risk. Going to gym 3 times/week and feel better than I have in a long time. The cancer was a wake-up call. I decided I wasn't sick because of the cancer, I had cancer because I was sick, so time to get well. Its been an "interesting" nine months.
    DesertPilot and KICKNBACK like this.
  3. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    after my surgery I had more time to ride the bike than to ride the wife! Sad but true, I could still get up on the. bike, but couldn't get. it up!
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going for radiation instead of the robotic knife. My brother had the robotic knife. Then his PSA went up so he followed up with radiation. Cured!

So I will jump to the chase and go with what cured him. They will do a Spacer OAR before zapping.

Note: DO NOT watch the YouTube on the procedure! :grim
    portalespeanut likes this.
  5. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Good luck but if it does happen to come back like your brothers first go after radiation not much can be done think burnt marshmallow they can’t get all the pieces out
    just sayin........
    Plus no 2 cancer patients are the same brother or not, no 2 people respond the same to treatment brother or not.
  6. Mr. Chuckles

Mr. Chuckles Silly Bastard

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, not in your club. Just visited the doc for the biopsy results a while ago. No fucking cancer!
    steve3b3 likes this.
  7. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Congrats, that’s good news let’s hope it stays that way. :beer
    Mr. Chuckles likes this.
  8. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    4B463087-179E-4CBD-AA7C-11079D278853.png As having gone through prostate cancer surgery I want to pay it forward and feel as I didn’t go through this for no reason so I’m trying to help where I can and do The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride and riding for prostate cancer.
    Please support me in raising funds and awareness for the world wide ride.

Go to: https://www.gentlemansride.com/fundraiser/KieseAlbayati173725 to donate.
    Thank you
    X5- and Davethestick like this.
  9. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Just had robotic 3 weeks ago at Beth Israel Deaconess. My Gleason was 4+3.

The suggestion was surgery as that preserves the option of radiation if they didn’t get it all.

No one talked about high intensity ultrasound, a fairly new but less invasive procedure now covered by Medicare.

Not too worried about riding: did a test ride and should be IK soon. But want to get back to playing hockey. One doc (not the surgeon) suggested that there was danger of hernia where the incisions were and not to rush it: he’s suggesting 8 weeks. The Surgeon says 12 weeks.
  10. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having opted out of surgery, I have been riding to my radiation treatments I will continue until I cannot ride, or my marshmallow is fully toasted...so to speak.
    mikegc likes this.
  11. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Just to obtain clarity: will riding impede healing after surgery, or is it just a matter of discomfort?
  12. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About a month after my surgery, I finally watched one of the full length videos of the removal procedure. Amazing stuff. Just watching that, from a simple mechanical mindset, though, left me with the impression that re-joining the two ends of the tube after taking out the whole section that goes with the gland would have to be somewhat "mechanically" fragile until fully healed. But what do I know?

In general, there was nothing throughout the entire process--from awakening after surgery to full back-to-normal recovery--that I'd classify as actual pain. You definitely feel "delicate" after the procedure, which diminishes steadily over the next couple of months.

It just makes sense to me that the "delicate" feeling would be commensurate with potential for doing damage, and the last thing I'd want to do is anything that might prolong recovery. So I basically just followed the surgeon's advice, which went like this:

Before being dismissed from the hospital the day after surgery, the only strict advice I received was to avoid lifting. I don't know if that concern is mostly about the internal plumbing repair, the incisions, or both, but it obviously makes sense.

On the other hand, also obviously, I at least rode home sitting up in a car seat. That was definitely "sensitive" but not really painful, and quickly improved over the next few days, as the wife drove me around to anywhere we needed to go.

My visit to the surgeon to have the cath removed was 8 days after the operation. It was at that visit that he told me I could resume "driving." But he still advised me against any heavy lifting. Now, I am not one of the kind to argue that "if I can drive, I can ride." The nature of motorcycling is such that just putting around the back yard, you can still have a minor mishap that might cause you to strain yourself. So I didn't even ask him then about riding. My own rationale told me:
    • I definitely feel like, as the doctor put it, "I'm sitting on a tennis ball."
    • Sitting on a bike (especially a KTM seat, otherwise known as a 2x4) is not the same thing as sitting on a car seat.
    • It just makes sense to me that if I feel "delicate" that feeling represents at least a potential for doing structural damage. I figure that's probably why your body sends those signals.
    The actual "results" meeting with the doc was scheduled about 8 weeks after the surgery. During that interval, I had steadily moved toward practical normalcy. I had had occasion to do things like disassembling a metal carport, going to some family events at outside parks, "hiking" around my riding woods, etc. And yeah, toward the end of that time, I did ride the bike just around the block once or twice. But even then, that "tennis ball" sensation was still there, although lesser, and I let common sense guide.

At the results meeting, the doc said all looks good, and gave me the go to basically consider myself back to normal. I specifically asked about returning to my stationary exercise bicycle habit, and to riding the motorcycles. He said fine, just don't overdo it." I told him about having watched that video, and asked him if the work inside was still "fragile." He said "no, but again, just don't overdo it."

So from that point, I returned to riding, gradually building back up to my normal frequency and duration, just listening to my own body and common-sense. The "tennis ball" diminished until it was gone, and since about a month ago (about 4 months after the operation) I seem to actually have higher tolerance for the Seat Concepts seat on the 500EXC (which is slightly better than the stock torture device) than I did before the surgery.

So to summarize that long-winded answer to your question: I figure if I feel "delicate" I probably am, at least potentially. I think it most prudent to listen to your doctor, listen to your body's "delicate" sensations, and leave yourself an according "safety margin" in terms of "overdoing it."

Just don't push it; you'll be back to normal after the appropriate time, while avoiding any drama that could setback the process.

Looking back, I don't even feel like it was a long time away from riding. I ride a lot, but I don't ride when I don't feel like riding. That's normal. So I was back to normal riding as soon after surgery as it felt right to be back to normal riding.

JET
    B02S4 and KICKNBACK like this.
  13. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    For me it was just being cautious I didn’t want to tear anything inside that you might not know about. So I just limited myself to short rides no off-road for a month so things won’t tear like if I had to lift the F800gs or hitting a large rut and jarring things too bad. But that being said only you know what your feeling so watch your piss for color also there is a risk for a hernia short after so just be mindful. Just live your life but start off a little slower and ease back into it.
    Remember they cut your urethra detached your bladder to lower it down to connect the urethra don’t ride with a full bladder until things heal up a little bit and remember to Kegal
  14. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    I use my surgical patient number on my little bike
    56694294-04CD-49EE-80E8-EB90400F96CC.jpeg
    Davethestick likes this.
  15. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Well said :beer
  16. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been away from riding for about 2½ years due to a seizure disorder, my neurologist gave me the go ahead to start driving again, a couple months ago, but my body is showing wear, but no cancer.... diverticulitis, gonna have to have some of my colon removed. My surgeon, wants me to loose 50 more lbs. first, I've already lost 40.

In the meantime, I've had enlarged prostate most of my life, becoming problematic the past few years. medication, interstim implant, and finally a month ago, I had a TURP. I wanna try out for the fire department, still have some urgency issues though, on long distance rides, I might use a catheter
  17. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It turns out they have laser surgery now. ("Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mister Bond, I expect you to lay off riding for 2-4 weeks"). It also works on bladder stones. They gave it a go yesterday, and I'll keep people posted if I learn anything useful. So far, no pain. I can deal with that. I like it when the word 'pain' is preceded by the word 'no'. :D

GoldfingerLaser01.jpg

The actual deal seems to be electro-cauterization ("You're going to shove a powerful heating electrode up my WHAT to do WHAT to my WHAT?") after which they use the laser for 'resurfacing' (I'm glad they don't use asphalt!). I get the impression that they can remove moderate amounts of material, so it won't work for everyone.

Now I get to wait for the pathologist's report to see if they found anything ominous in the stuff they removed. No worries there, eh? Maybe I'll spend that time watching Bond flicks...
    B02S4 likes this.
  18. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Did you have a biopsy first
  19. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
  20. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, the prostate was enlarged, there was some blockage, the output pressure was low (a vaccuum leak somewhere in the emmission control system, perhaps?), and there was that bladder stone rattling around (or swishing around as the case may be) so they had to go in anyway. They picked the least invasive procedure they could to deal with those issues (see grateful note above about 'no pain'!) , then sent their plunder over to the pathologist.

This is nothing compared with what most people on this thread have had to deal with. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to maintain my 'lightweight' status.

This laser thing quite boggles my mind ("Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mister Bond, I expect you to post to some thread!") . From a pain standpoint... I could hop on the bike right now, 24 hours after the procedure. From a 'wait for it to heal' and 'if you must be a fool, at least wait until you've finished the post-op antibiotic sequence' standpoint... I expect some waiting to happen...
    B02S4 and garandman like this.