1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding after prostate surgery

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Long Gone, Apr 4, 2013.

1. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Found exactly the advice I was looking for on another forum:

“The science behind post op healing is that scar strength is about 50-60% of the normal tissue at 6 weeks, then at that point, it somewhat slowly increases to about 80% at 12 weeks. Meaning the strength of your incision at has achieved a bulk of what it will be at 6 weeks, but the maximum won't be reached until 12 weeks. Hence the recommendation to wait 3 months.”
    DesertPilot likes this.
  2. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pathologist's report was 'no maliginancy'. I like those words! This is excellent writing, on a par with anything by William Shakespeare! To celebrate, I took the Tiger out for a short ride today, 17 days after the laser surgery. I could have given it a go a few days earlier, but that would have been riding to work in rush hour traffic and where's the fun in that?

Bottom line: If you're lucky enough to be able to get away with laser surgery to remove a small amount of material... and a bladder stone roughtly the size of two USB sticks stuck together (!!!)... it may not be that big a deal. The only after-effect has been the 'frequent trips to the restroom while you're recovering' thing, and that's getting better. Though any ride I do this weekend may be outhouse-to-outhouse :D

Update: day 19 after the surgery. Took the Scambler out on an easy 100-miler through the mountains to the coast and back. The ride was no problem, and bumps were quite painless now that the remote-car-key-sized bladder stone is gone -- over the past several years, I seem to have forgotten that bumps weren't supposed to hurt -- but yes, Outhouses Loomed Very Large on the ride planning :D
    B02S4 likes this.
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Opted for radiation instead of surgery, and had my last treatment today. I rode my bike to almost all treatments. I wimped out on rainy days, or when I had to pick up something the bike could not carry. The good thing is I never ad to stop riding. They prescribed a shorter duration with higher dose for 6 weeks. Side effects not fun but tolerable.
    I plan on riding the local event known as the "Rubber Chicken Ride" in Truth or Consequences, NM this coming weekend. There are 100 dual sport bikes signed up. I'll stick to the easy routes during my recovery.
    mikegc likes this.
  4. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Did you have cancer or just an enlarged prostate what was your PSA and did they check it a few times over several months?
    Did you have a biopsy if so what was your Gleason score?
    Some people can have higher than average PSA and not have cancer hell even having sex within 24 hours of your blood test can raise it.
  6. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    On some of these procedures one big question you should be asking is what are your chances of reoccurrence. My biopsy had a Gleason score of 6 3+3 with a 10% chance of reoccurrence pathology scored the Gleason at 7 4+3 that made my chance of reoccurrence 30% and I had robotic surgery so it was removed and cancer still contained within the prostate. Now you guys that are trying to kill it and leave the prostate in your body what’s that make your chances of it not coming back if they missed some cells.
  7. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine was a 7 4+3 as was my brothers. He had the surgery, "clear margins, no lymph node involvement, fully contained". It came back. Then radiation cured it. So I had the same Gleason score but much lower volume from the biopsy. So I cut to the chase with 6 weeks of radiation total 70 Gray.

Life is a gamble...pay you nickle and take your chances. None of us are getting out alive.
  8. Bob K

Bob K Old & Slow

Oddometer:
    I just had the DiVinci procedure done on Monday. No real pain, mostly discomfort from the catheter. Looking at the size of the tube they used, someone though my little fella was bigger than it really is.

My journey started with a PSA jump from 4.2 to 5.1 in 6 months. Next a biopsy was positive for cancer with a Gleason score of 3+4. After two friends had the robotic surgery, I opted for that.

I go back for a checkup on Tuesday, hoping the catheter will come out. I will ask him about riding. I have a Beta 300 and a KTM 350. I am a sitter, I guess I will become a stander.

This thread has been very informative.
  9. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Good onya, hope it all goes well!

I had an MRI fusion biopsy a few days ago. Awaiting results. The IM rocephin was - quite literally - a pain in the arse.
  10. aerone

aerone Clemson Cafe' Racer

Oddometer:
    My riding buddy had his prostate removed years ago and was riding a GSA. I'm not sure how long it took him to get back on the bike. He, two years ago got colon cancer, now cancer free after surgery, resulting in wearing a colostomy bag. I bought a 690E and he bought a 701. He rides it hard most of the time. My fear is someday he will fall off the wrong way and we both will have to deal with what ever happens. I admire his courage and determination.
    Uke likes this.
  11. Bob K

Bob K Old & Slow

Oddometer:
    I wish your buddy the best. Sounds like a great guy.

I had a quad bypass in 2017 2 months after I sold my business and retired. My brother thought it was the end of our riding. I got back on the bike as soon as my Dr said it was ok. Now this prostate issue. I figure 8-12 weeks, which will allow the ice to melt.

My neighbor dropped my Beta off to Donny Lingle this morning to fix a leaking fork and check the power valve and piston. I am planning to get back in the saddle ASAP!
    Uke likes this.