1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding around Breckenridge CO - help

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tri650, Jan 19, 2008.

1. tri650

tri650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found out that my wife and I will be joining 3 other couples at a house in Breckenridge in early June for a week. I am thinking about driving out there from St. Louis and bringing my Husky TE610. Any suggestions for off-road riding around the area? I will probably have 4-5 hour stints as the rest of the boys will be playing golf. Any help or direction is appreciated.
  2. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    No. I don't know the area. I have ridden in CO. It is the best. I envy you.
  3. stroming it softly

stroming it softly twins forever

Oddometer:
    Get a USGS map, there are tons of trails due to past mining activity.
    Here are some of my favs--Mosquito Pass, Wheeler gulch, Silverheels, Boreas Pass, Montezuma area has Argentine Pass, St. Johns and Webster Pass and Red Cone. Another good source of maps is the Colorado Atlas and Gazetter available in most bookstores. You could spend years in that area and never ride all the trails. It will be rainy in the afternoons and will still snow-sleet at times, also the lightning is scary so be off of all high points by lunch. There is just a butt load of snow up there right now so I would expect that some of the high passes may not be open until July. You will have much more fun that the golfers!!! Be advised that you will mostly be above 10000 ft. so make sure you are jetted for it. Cheers
  4. dch

dch Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Early June is still pretty early for that elevation. You could still get measurable snow the second week in June. Main street in town is 9600 ft. Most of the good riding around there is much higher, up to timberline. If the vacation arrangements are set in stone, you could go over to Buena Vista or even over to Grand Junction or Moab and the weather there would be fine. Middle to late July, or later would be better for Breck.

DCH
  5. B. Delangerous

B. Delangerous n00b

Oddometer:
    You can forget about riding any dirt or trails up high at that time of year. There will be too much snow pack remaining. There is a great map of the entire area which shows all trails and backroads. you can pick it up at the mountaineer shop in breck.
  6. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Forget about that global warming thing. B Delangerous is spot on. You will need studded snows on that Husky. Maybe even a winch on the forks. Plan to ride to a lower elevation. Try around Central City or South Park.