Riding around Java Indonesia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by TrackHack, May 17, 2009.

1. TrackHack

TrackHack Crusty n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys
    I have booked my flights and I can't wait to arive in Jakarta and hire a bike and have a closer look at beautiful Java. The problem is...I don't know where to hire a bike. Should I just turn up, or do I need to book in advance? How much would I expect to pay for a week? I want something decent and with panniers.

Cheers
  2. DendyJ

DendyJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi There TrackHack, Greetings from Indonesia. To hire or rent a bike here is easy but with panniers etc, that's quite a challenge.. but I will spread the word about you coming here. There are some ADV guys at Jakarta that will help you out, I'm from Bandung it's about 180km from Jakarta and maybe you can visit and we ride together. FYI, bikes for rent or hire usually thumpers with 150-250cc.

When will you be here? on 21-23 may, all ADV riders from indonesia will ride together to east java (Dieng Plateau) as our first ever gathering.
  3. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    Hello there TrackHack, its nice to hear that you are interested on riding in JAVA. :clap

when exactly are going to come to the java island?
    and how long is your stay?

its hard to rent a decent thumper, mostly bike rent in Jakarta on rents mopeds and small scooters.

I recommend if you are staying in long term, maybe more than 3 weeks its better to buy a decent second hand bike + panniers and then sell it again before you leave the country.

it cost about 1200 $AUD for a thumper with 225cc and 600 $AUD for panniers.

but i will try to look up more of bike rents if you have a exact positive date of your stay here.

cheers

:freaky
  4. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:

Hello there Trackhack,

I see u'll gonna be here in Jakarta soon coz u already booked a ticket.. About bikes rental here in Jakarta, a lil bit hard to find thumper for rent (specially for expatriate) unlast u have another (expatriate) friend here in Jakarta as your guarantor.
    The easy one to find is a Harley Rental. But, the road tracks here in Java, most of them is not in a good condition, specially when u were riding a Harley.
    Many traffic jam because of unperfect timing Road Maintenance that will cost you hours to pass at hot sunny day.

I agreed with H17, u should find a second hand thumpers such as Yamaha Scorpio (225cc), Bajaj Pulsar (200c), Honda Tiger (200cc) with cost about US$ 1200 - US$1700. Then when you're about to leave this country, we can help u to sell it.
    It's better to ride your own rather than a rent one, isn't it?
  5. TrackHack

TrackHack Crusty n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps for the advice guys. I will have to rethink my plans. I will be riding with a pillion so I want the biggest bike I can get, with a fat seat for wifey. I bought some soft panniers so I will have to figure out how to put them on when I get there. The big problem is that I only have one week to do everything. This won't give me enough time to buy and sell a bike. So I still think I will be better to hire one. Surely, I can just leave a deposit until I return it. adedj9 reckons to hire a 250 is easy.

Which bike is the pick-of -the-bunch? Power and reliability are important.
  6. TrackHack

TrackHack Crusty n00b

Oddometer:
    adedj9
    That's fantastic I arrive 20th to arrange a bike and gear. Then I am planning to ride East on the 21st. My route is still open but I have to be back in Jakarta by 26th. It would be great to ride with you guys on your first ride. Do you have the itinerary, route map? Where will you be staying each night?

TrackHack
  7. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    U can contact me and H17 (haryo) when you're here in Jakarta (I'll arranged ADV Jakarta to meet you here), maybe we can help you out about rental bike. I will met H17 tonight do to I and him are in the same motor club and tonight is gathering night.

We will informed u tomorrow about places to hire bikes...

Don't worry about the accommodation, almost every cities in Java has ADV Rider.
    We could help u to find hotel and show around the city and places..

Just maintain this thread, we will showed here everyday..
  8. TrackHack

TrackHack Crusty n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks T-REDZ
    Looks like I am in good hands. You just need to get your dates sorted. It is May now. In two days time it will be 1st June. I arrive in Jakarta on Friday 19th June.
    Also interested in getting a GPS and maps and some riding gear (helmet, boots, bags). Are they easy/cheap to buy? I won't have a lot of time to shop around.
  9. artnet

artnet i'm a motorcyclist

Oddometer:

after search for rental a motorcycle in jakarta i found this web http://www.wahanamotorent.com/home.php
    http://bogorent.com/category/sewa-sepeda-motor/

i think you should visit "kebon jeruk 3" at jakarta it took place at the center jakarta. this is was the place if you like to buy riding gears such as helmet, bag, boot, etc for a cheap n reasonable price.

but be carefull for pander, just ignore n buy from the shop
  10. erwe

erwe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well there are several non moped bikes that usually rented..
    1. Honda GL MAX 125cc, or GL Pro 160cc.. looks like this..
    [​IMG]
    You may find it quite a view to rent, but not so many power..

2. Honda Megapro 160cc, same engine with GL pro 160 only an updated model.. same performance..
    [​IMG]

3. Honda Tiger 200c, same engine type (GL series), but with bigger power and bigger engine displacement 196cc for the exact. There are two model, classic tiger..
    [​IMG]

Tiger Revolution
    [​IMG]

4. Yamaha Scorpio Z, 223cc.. curently the biggest engine displacement on a thumper that's still on production in Indonesia (The Suzuki GSX250 were discontinued). 223cc engine displacement, 19ps power, quite good bottom end torque.. if you can find one to rent, i really recommend that you pick it. There are other bikes like Bajaj Pulsar 180cc and 200cc, Yamaha Vixion 150cc, or Kawasaki KLX250 and Ninja ZX250.. but they relatively new bike that not avaiable to rent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm happen to own one of this Yamaha Scorpio, if you landed in Yogyakarta, you can borrow mine.. :freaky

In overseas, this model is known as Yamaha Serrow, or XT225, or Tricker, or YBR250, or Fazer 250 (at least use the same engine) :D
  11. TrackHack

TrackHack Crusty n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank heaps erwe and artnet.
    That's exactly what I have been looking for. Great pics too.
    Thanks also for the offer to borrow yours, erwe. That is very kind. Unfortunately, I will land in Jakarta and ride to Yogyakarta then back to Jakarta.
  12. erwe

erwe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK then.. but if you arrive in yogyakarta and need some companion, me and dpouwel will be ready to accompany you exploring yogyakarta.. just contact me on rahadi.wibowo@gmail.com or cell phone +6285226526166..
    have a great ride in indonesia :freaky
  13. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    Hello there Senior Bro,

About helmet and riding gear, there's a lot of choices here in Jakarta. I will take u for a short tour and get everything that you need to ride.
    Jackets from leather, syntetic, semi gortex etc are available, weather it's original or fake one, from IDR 200,000 to over IDR 2,000,000 (don't worry, 1 US$ is about IDR 10,000) so it will cost u about US$ 20 to over US$ 200 for a good one.
    Helmet sell in any kinda type and brand. From Half face (police), Full face (sport) to Cross & Supermoto type. The price is about US$ 20 to US$ 250 regularly will met at the market.
    So is the shoes.

Don't worry, it won't cost u over US$ 1,000 for a great riding suit.

:chace

becarefull, some seller will gave you high price since u're an expatriat/foreign people. So we're from ADV Rider Jakarta will acompany you around for a short shopping tour at Jakarta.

Just tell me your size, I will hunt it on the market and take you there whenever u're already here dude...

And one thing for sure, U have borthers here in Indonesia. Don't worry for getting lost in nowhere.. hahaha..
  14. Bimo

Bimo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi TrackHack , I'm ADVrider from Semarang about 3 hr ride to Jogjakarta. Maybe I should join you when you're in Jogja...so what is the date ?
  15. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    Hello there TrackHack,

The Yamaha Scorpio (SX-4) are also being sold in Aussie. Maybe you can visit: www.yamaha-motor.com.au. Quite good to ride in Indonesia and with adequate reasonable budget as well.

16. GatotKaca

GatotKaca bapux

Oddometer:
    Mr. Trackhack,

places of suggestions for you :

- mt Tangkuban Perahu, Bandung west java
    - Dieng plateau, Wonosobo, Central Java
    - Sarangan Lake, Magetan, East Java (nice track)
    - Jogjakarta, the most favourite tourism city in java.
    Remember, it is quite hot in java these days, so you better visit cold places i've mentioned above, except for jogjakarta.

Rgds...
  17. TrackHack

TrackHack Crusty n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks GatotKaca, only 4 sleeps to go :clap I am getting so excited. I plan to travel along the northern coast and stay overnight in Cirebon, then head down to the Dieng Plateau. After that we will go to Yogy :freaky then Cilacap :1drink and back to Jakarta. How does that sound? I don't want to be on the bike more than about 5 hours per day.
  18. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    Hello there bro,
    Sorry just connect today, so busy with damn jobs.. :)

Here some clue about your journey..

From Jakarta to Cirebon, if you ride before sunrise (about 4-5am), maybe you will reach Cirebon about 5-6 hours riding time (with one stop for gasoline and stretching butt :kat). But, if you ride over 7 am, I believe you will caught at some bad traffic area such as bekasi, karawang, Indramayu and it will cost you 7-8 hours of riding time. Believe me, trafffic at bekasi and Karawang are REAL BAD...!!! U know Bombay - India? sounds like it laahh! hahahaha..

From Cirebon to Dieng is about 5-6 hours too.. Just like before, ride before sunrise because the traffic between Cirebon - Brebes is real bad do to there some road works at some points. And there are some traditional markets..

From Dieng to Jogja, you will thru a very beautiful tracks and journey.. The one you will never forget.. U will go thru some Plateaus such as Prambanan and Borobudur. At dieng, you will found Dieng Plateau with a ver beautiful and unforgetable view.

Don't worry, at Indonesia, people are very welcome for tourist. But, becareful about the price.. hahahahahha...

Too bad I'm in the middle of some tight schedule so I can't ride with you brother.. But don't worry, every city you will thru, there's ADV Rider member will help you and welcome you..

I will get their numbers for you..
  19. nowwayhome_ADV

nowwayhome_ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    welcome abord to trackhack ...

have a nice trips around the java island :D dont forget a share of some photos, okay :D:D:D
  20. TrackHack

TrackHack Crusty n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks nowwayhome
    I have packed my camera. I just hope the battery holds out and the weather is good. As long as I don't contract swine flu :puke1 before Friday I should be on my way.:D
    If I get a chance along the way I will upload my photos to http://trackhack.blogspot.com/
    I will look forward to your comments bro.:wink: