Riding around Southern Africa on an XT250 and CRF250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by maria41, Oct 2, 2018.

1. mbanzi

mbanzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report - thanks!
    maria41 likes this.
  2. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along your brilliant adventure,wonderful R.R. and pictures,looking forward to the next one!
    maria41 likes this.
  3. 2004ret

2004ret Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on just a fantastic and unique ride report - your report has captured my attention daily as I learned a great deal about Southern Africa and the rich riding opportunities.
    Thoroughly enjoyed your excellent photography and variety of animal subjects. Without question you delivered on your vacation promise, he's one lucky dude! Ride safe and I will look forward to future reports.
    maria41 likes this.
  4. allroadtoine

allroadtoine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thnx fot sharing,

Greetings,

Toine
    maria41 likes this.
  5. jwwr

jwwr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your report, thanks.
    maria41 likes this.
  6. maria41

maria41 www.franglais-riders.com

Oddometer:
    Hi guys thanks for all your feed back.

Originally we never planned to go to Africa and Alistair in particular was rather reluctant. I cannot blame him considering how much time he spent in hospital in our previous trip around central Asia.

SO I hope I have dispelled few cliches.

As for where next? We plan to explore Europe, and in particular, south Eastern Europe, in a van, so we can take our dog. And enjoy a bit more comfort. We may venture beyond to Georgia and wherever we do not need a visa (or it can be obtained online).

Next motorcycle trip? I want to spend 4 to 6 months exploring Northern America. This is definitely on the cards. The TAT, Alaska, Texas, Colorado, Montana, North Carolina and beyond... as well as Mexico.... all are calling!

Maybe summer 2020
    . Until then :clap. Maybe see you on the road.

7. WJW

WJW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you do a van trip maybe you can do a trip report somewhere and send us the link, so we can follow along
    maria41 and Davidprej like this.
  8. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Could you tell us what the total cost was for this adventure?
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Wonderful! Can't wait for your next trip!! Us armchair riders need to keep the fix coming!
  10. maria41

Oddometer:
    We did not keep a precise tab. We had savings to fund it and went for it.

The main cost was shipping the bikes to and from south Africa. That was in total about 3600 British pounds for two bikes. Then the Carnets were 1000 pounds for both bikes.

With hindsight, if might be possible, maybe with local help, to buy a couple of cheap Chinese bikes in SA and take it from there. But it adds a lot f hassle.

Borders crossing were expensive sometimes, especially Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique.

Living expenses were cheaper outside of Namibia, but not as cheap as South America or Central Asia for

I think average living costs count a good 80USD a day for two and two bikes. A good 100usd in Namibia.

We avoided wild camping for safety reasons but it is certainly possible I guess; especially in Namibia, however you have the wild life to deal with (lions, hyenas, leopards, elephants...).

We could have camped more in South Africa to cut costs but decided Backpacker lodges were cheap enough. It is even cheaper if you use their dorms, although with so much motorcycle gear, we don’t find it convenient.

So all in all Africa was more expensive than we expected. But it was well worth the trip.
  11. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the reply! 80 or so per day is really not too bad considering where you are and what your exposed to. (Huge wild animals). I totally enjoy your RR's. Please take another trip soon!:-)
    Davidprej likes this.
  12. Essbee

Essbee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always interesting to hear other like-minded peoples perceptions of places I have become blasé over due to my having lived here my whole life.

It saddens me to see how some businesses and organisations have become blatant rip-offs. Glad, though, that the broad scheme of things was a thumbs up! Thanks for sharing.

PS....just some trivia...the 'Dassies' you encountered ; Rock Hyrax is their proper name, are related to none other than elephants! Don't believe me....Google it!
    maria41 likes this.
  13. maria41

Oddometer:
    Wow I checked the hyrax, quite interesting mammals actually! Thanks for the info!
    Essbee likes this.