Riding Around the Hood

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 9, 2011.

1. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    You going to change to a protection plan next time out?

You hit a tree or what?...That's one hell of a hit you took.
  2. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wise man
  3. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blind 25 ft jump into a steep down hill hole nailed a large boulder with the front tire as I landed sent me straight into the dirt.

Only protection I plan to add are fitted knee braces
    Whodatschrome and DiggerD like this.
  4. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever looked at a Tekvest? It might have not saved you, but i've had plenty of highsides while wearing mine and the only damage so far was a couple trees missing its bark and a few sharp rocks that i've chipped the corners off of. I'm not saying that they're better than a comp suit, but they will provide better back, side, and shoulder protection than any comp suit out there. The only thing is that the Tekvest isn't everone's cup of tea. They're hot in the summer (which is like 2 months of riding), but nice and warm for the other 10 months of riding.
    RainRider45 and BlackHawkChief like this.
  5. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Googleing now, thanks my motto is "safety third" but I wanna keep racing and riding into my 80's so I gotta Wear the best protection available
  6. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have their Rally Sport (it has the built in shoulder pads which has saved many a rocks from my shoulder). I got lucky and found it on New York craigslist about 6 years ago. I think total i paid about $220 for it after they shipped to to me in PDX. New they're gawd awful expensive though. I have seen them time to time for sale in the flea market for a good deal. You would probably find them easier used on a sledneck forum i becha.

https://tekrider.com/collections/tekvest/products/rally-sport It says that this model is for people who don't wear neck braces, but for desert racing i'll wear a Leatt with it. My vest has saved me two known time that i remember. Once was at the China Hat race when my body ricocheted off a tree, and the other was when i was riding with our very own @Grahamcracker. I hit some 500lb boulder dead on with my front tire and went over the bars. I landed on top of a 12" diameter tree stump (that was about 24" tall), flat on the middle of my back, while my shoulders and rest of my body landed on top of more boulders. In my defense my bike did move that huge boulder about 3"...uphill. So yeah, it's paid for itself.
    martinmenace likes this.
  7. RainRider45

RainRider45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Tekvest. I got one after I countered a large pointy rock slide on the north fork of the tanum creek trail. Broke 2 ribs in 2 places each due to side ways dump to prevent the steep tumble to the creek that would have broken a lot more than ribs.

The best part was the 4 miles of single track to get back to camp.

The vest is hot but putting one on is close to bulletproof for points on rocks, sticks, handlebars and belly slides on the trail.

I tested mine then came to the conclusion I need to ride better and take less chances with my old 1950 something body. Replacement parts are expensive.

All the best for a quick complete recovery, avoid the Comedy Central channel for a few weeks and take care of the new ribs.

Now for the important details, how did the bike fair? Selling that trail tek light?
    DiggerD and martinmenace like this.
  8. crg infidel

crg infidel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey All.... I'm about to ask a "gear question" in a thread about our local area, but please bear with me.... I think it's relevant.

I have been exploring the many miles of dirt roads and trails south of the Mosier/HR area. There are a lot of old logging roads that are incredibly overgrown and damn near impassable. Those are my favorite. It is impressive where you can go with a complete disregard for the well-being of your plastics and your own hide..... That said, I do end up being ruthlessly whipped in the face (even with a FF helmet) via all the branches and limbs that protrude over the "trail". I have attempted to locate some viable face protection; Googling like mad with not much luck.

It is my fervent hope that my local brethren may have found a solution to this uncomfortable issue, as if you ride back there you probably know what I'm dealing with.

So far, I'm considering a police Riot helmet, a medieval steel bascinet, a Devtac Ronin ballistic helmet that makes one look like "Krombopulos Michael" from Rick & Morty (my favorite idea so far, but no idea if it's a decent design), or I could just slow down and carry garden limb loppers with me, but who has time for that....?
    Squishy likes this.
  9. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
  10. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm really wondering why 'regular off-road helmet and goggles' or 'helmet with face shield' aren't primary options.
  11. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    FWIW - TigerTanker who used to be on here had some sort of solution, I see he has a YouTube channel and you could contact him there to see how he configured his solution. See the 0:26 in this video.

12. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    I run a full face helmet and body armor. Then I raise my elbows and lower my head to plow thru branches etc.
    crg infidel and outbacktm like this.
  13. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    I let Luke go first, then I put my head down, look for/follow Luke's track, and plow through with my visor down.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  14. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a few friends with you and beat that trail in.
    We have Manzinita in a few areas up here and between a saw and riding friends it works pretty good.
  15. crg infidel

crg infidel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t have enough friends to run interference and soften up the flora.... So maybe I’ll try this lacrosse helmet. That, with some stout goggles, may just do the trick.

Or, I’ll just look like an asshat wearing the wrong helmet. (instead of just a standard asshat)

Attached Files:

16. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    :dirtdog

The 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

And when you're all wearing dirt gear and the branches are covered in snow, the 2nd mouse doesn't get hypothermia.

:imaposer
  17. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Don't forget your radiator guards.

Ask KillerDave for clarification and a request for good radiator shop for his BMW single lung 450.
    crg infidel likes this.
  18. crg infidel

crg infidel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a damn good point! I think I've been very lucky with my radiators so far.
  19. crg infidel

crg infidel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple of these ziptied to the ends of my handlebars, the toes of my boots, and one in "unicorn mode" on the top of my helmet.... And I'll have those trails opened up in no time!
  20. crg infidel

crg infidel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That has been my basic technique up to this point...... I just keep hitting a waterbar, (or a tree) on my way out of the thick parts. Maybe I should keep my eyes open...