1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding Around the Hood

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Harsany

Harsany Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I highly doubt it. I hit snow at just over 4k feet on the wet side of Mt Hood. You may be able to get part way down there, but the lake is at nearly 5k feet and there are feet of snow at most of those elevations right now.
  3. Harsany

Harsany Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think we're going to try Barlow as it's lower elevation. Anyone know if Barlow is clear yet?
    Corradokid135 likes this.
  4. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Harsany

Harsany Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Corradokid135 likes this.
  6. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    What @Apple Jam said. Barlow is dry. Thought plenty of mud and puddles to keep it extra interesting. Watch for angry hikers and their lap dogs. :rofl
    outbacktm and Harsany like this.
  7. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    2 feet of snow at the top of Barlow 5/17.
    Harsany likes this.
  8. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know it's a late reply, but I tried the Nf-7010 today from Bagby / Collawash. Snow and the many downed tree's were no problem, but about 6 miles from the Bagby Rd / 7010 junction there was a washout/land slide. If I had been with a buddy I would have tried getting through there, but I was alone on the Africa Twin (AS) and my rear Shinko 805 didn't have enough left in the center to paddle out of the ditch on the other side. On a smaller bike it wouldn't be a problem but me alone with the big bike could go very wrong very quickly.

I turned the bike and walked down the slide.

20200604_112948.jpg

The first section is not too bad, just loose gravel and very steep.

20200604_112823.jpg

After the section above, there are a few 1-2 ft drops(steps) on loose rock and than a narrow ridge back to a loose gravel section. It's absolutely doable, but I didn't want to try it by myself.

20200604_112641.jpg

My bike is up there somewhere.

20200604_112749.jpg
    Squishy likes this.
  9. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did some reading in this thread about Nf-7010 and I guess this road is well known by most local inmates here. Anyway, I had never been there so for those of you who've never been there either I post a map below. On Tuesday I explored the western route south of Mollala. When I got home that night I looked at a detailed map to see if there was a way to get to Detroit lake from where I was. Not sure if that's possible, but I did find the 7010 connection to Bagby Rd so today I decided to see if I could make it from Estacada to Bagby and via the Nf-7010 back to Mollala. It's possible and I've done most of the route except for the RED section west of the washout.

Nf-7010 washout.JPG

This picture was taken on the 7010 this Tuesday west of the washout.

20200602_142028.jpg
  10. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    You can't get from Estacada to Bagby without riding on pavement. In the old days you could get from Estacada to Molalla on gravel now you have to cross posted land.
  11. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    In an effort to burn off the rest of the Metzeler K3 so I can spoon on some proper tires, I did my current favorite gravel GP loop today. Seven Mile, Cherry Heights, Skyline, 3 Mile County Rd, 17/Pinemont, Gilhouley. I think I saw two cars between The Dalles and Knebal Springs. Only one deer scare and I had a Red tailed hawk dive down and fly formation about 15 feet above and in front of me on Skyline while going about 40 mph. He just held position gliding for about three seconds and turned off. Way cool. A worn out rear tire and traction control set to 6'ish is a recipe for a good time on those gravel freeways. Damp gravel everywhere once up and out of TD. Gilhouley was a little greasy from yesterdays rain, but the south half has been bladed recently, so it was smooth. IMG_20200610_125923046_HDR.jpg IMG_20200610_132327649_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200610_133409011_HDR.jpg
  12. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I used to drive my pickup on a similar loop many times, before I had any bikes.
    Then, I bought an old Honda Shadow & rode that loop many times in the next ten years.
    Then I bought a new 990 in 2007, and my whole world changed :nod
    I'm thinking yer gonna enjoy that new orange bike :nod

They've been watching me from very close above while I walk with my dogs, they're very curious and wanna check us out. They never flap their wings, they just find a thermal and gain elevation again.

Nice pic!!

[​IMG]
    JP4 likes this.
  13. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yeah, me likey! My last KTM was a 640 Enduro that I sold after I got too busy with kids. The 790 seems to do just about everything that bike did, just a little better and smoother. The 640 would walk across the garage floor idling on the side stand Fun bike though.

When I had a little Chihuahua, he'd occasionally get really nervous all of a sudden. Then I'd look up and there'd be a big hawk circling above, waiting for an easy meal.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  14. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I've had small groups of coyotes pace me while riding horseback. I figured they were hoping I'd flush prey out. Maybe hawks do the same?
  15. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    That makes sense, I never thought of it. We're making quite a ruckus in the forest with two big dogs, we're bound to scare out something!
  16. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    I remember having a Bald Eagle pace me while riding alongside Sheep Creek in MT. Very savvy aware bird, I caught his shadow crossing my path and looked up to see the bird pacing me, hoping for a flush of the road-runner rodents out there. Very cool.

Mt Hood is great, is part of our big back yard.

But Montana is something else!
    Apple Jam likes this.
  17. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Do you have a Google map of this route?
    bensgone likes this.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Here's a GPX that starts in Hood River. Lot's of variations, but this is what I did the other day. Plenty of ways to add more gravel to the front end of this ride, but I was time constrained. It's pretty easy to get from the HR to The Dalles without going on too much pavement if you go over Old Dalles or Fir Mtn. Oh, and I spelled Knebal wrong on the GPX. I always do that :)

Attached Files:

19. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Kicked up a big, bushy coyot on a night ride up Marys Peak in the Oregon coastal range.
    Paved road on a side hill cut, steep banks so coyot just ran a little in front of me looking for a way up and off the road.
    He saw a likely spot and went for it but it was too steep and his front legs buckled.
    I stopped and waited for him and we continued up the road.
    He found another likely spot and went for it, this time he made it.
    I stopped to watch him.
    He made it to a shelf maybe 20 feet up the hill and turned back to look at me, panting, catching his breath before he moved on.
    Special moment there to treasure.
    Have to say it was the biggest, best looking coyot I have ever seen.

Met a bald eagle creasing a ridge hiking on the coast, 3 feet away....way cool.

Had a red tail do the same while I was on 3 Finger Jack, but much closer.
    I put my arms up to protect my face, he kind of did the same, opened his wings, caught some wind and flew away.

Lov thos close encounters with wild life.
  20. OneLostMoto

OneLostMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Any snow depth reports from Mt Hood? Hoping to ride through Bennett and Bonney Meadows soon.

21083518_359192694513851_4225707212844706687_o.jpg
    BobcatSig, SilverAdvRdr and outbacktm like this.