Riding Around the Hood

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took a ride to the westside of the Hood today, besides Hwy224 being closed at Promontory NF2610 is closed as well.
    20201004_115118[1].jpg
    The fire came this close to Promontory Park, this was taken in the parking lot across from the store
    20201004_115551[1].jpg
  2. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next we went up Hillockburn Rd, west end of NF-45. It was closed about 2 miles before the pavement ended.

Spotted a small hot spot that my cousin tried to piss on to put out "piss'n on a forest fire"

That didn't work so we filed the hole with large rocks and capped it off with a bigger rock that snuffed it out

20201004_134911[1].jpg
    20201004_134751[1].jpg
  3. K9SearchRescue

K9SearchRescue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NF4610 is my favorite ride this time of year. And the bridge just got rebuilt, too... :2cry
    spova likes this.
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Sprayed gravel all over the West side this afternoon on the 790. Crossed over to Deadpoint and had a bear run out in front of me. This one looked to be an adult, fat and fluffy. I'm two for two as I had a cub run in front of me on Green Point last week. Good to see there's still a healthy bear population in the Hood.
    Went up to Black lake and Rainy lake before cutting over to Mt Defiance. It was getting dark and I was alone, so I didn't push it. I haven't ridden to the top in at least 15 years. The road was in remarkably good condition, far better than I remember in the old days. They've laid a heavy layer of small shale stones on the road and it was well packed by 4x4 traffic. I got to where the last pitch starts and it steepens up, about 500-600' from the top, and gingerly turned it around. It looked easily ridable, but there's no stopping on a big bike once you start up that last pitch. All the local rescue folks are friends and I couldn't stand the humiliation if I had to get pulled off of there in the dark
    Worked my way down to the backside of Kingsley, Riordan, and Post and rolled home. Incredibly good wet gravel with some fun deep puddles and one single car in 2.5 hours. Dirt looked super tacky on the moto trails as I rode by them. IMG_20201012_170002273.jpg IMG_20201012_170051755.jpg IMG_20201012_173126983.jpg
  5. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear that more is open on Mt Hood. Looks like a good day of rippin' and tearin'. I now want to get out for a rip on my big dirt bike.
    outbacktm and JP4 like this.
  6. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rippin' and a tearin' you say? You aren't Hedo Rick are you? Oh, and BTW and totally unrelated to said RnT, HR county OHV is all open starting tomorrow.

BobcatSig and JP4 like this.
  7. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Hahaha!
  8. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Are those pics of Rainy? Don't tell me that's what's left of the outhouse...
  9. Teamoatmealpie

Teamoatmealpie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my parents out to Wamic /Ty valley via 48 for a look see on the White River fire. They have a detour off 48 to the north for a few miles then back onto 48.
    Took the White River crossing road then back thru Pine grove. Was surprised to see White River Crossing was burned over and beyond to the East.
    Couldn't see anything off 48 /down into the canyon, other then a few fire camps/peps manning the road closure/detour.
    Gutted to see this fire as some of my favorite camp spots are off the Lost Boulder Ditch, Which are great during the hottest days in the summer. Nothing like a DS ride around Hood then cool off in the creek.
    Wondering what Barlow looks like?

upload_2020-10-13_12-32-28.png
    Apple Jam, outbacktm and JP4 like this.
  10. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Black lake, just down the road from Rainy. Some inbreds decided it would be fun to shoot up the out house. IMG_20201012_170043206.jpg
  11. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    :hung
    outbacktm likes this.
  12. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Rode my DT250 up Mary's Peak last century in the snow to find drunk college students using the out house as a target for bow and arrow practice.

Gave them a piece of my mind, then noticed I was alone with drunk college students with bows and arrows.

:lol3
  13. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is that brake lever you have fitted?
  14. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    They're these Chinese Ebay ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Folding-Adjustable-Brake-Clutch-Lever-For-KTM-790-Adventure-ADV-2019-2020/123952781662?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

They've been great for me, though there are complaints by other folks about some of the Chinese levers. It's really important that you get the pin on the brake side correctly centered in the depression of the plunger for the master cylinder when you put the brake pivot bolt in. A few people have reported having their front brakes lock up shortly after installation. That would happen if the pin isn't centered and was dragging the brake inadvertently. Not saying that's what happened in these cases, but I almost did it when I installed mine, so heads up if you're installing brake levers. The other issue you might run into is on the clutch side the lever might hit the switchgear housing if you have the clutch lever in certain positions. Not an issue for me, but it just worked out that way with how I like them positioned. They don't have the clearance of the stock lever. That all being said, I think they're great and the quality of this particular set seems pretty high. I got them because I was pinching my fingers under the long stock clutch lever and I also wanted a folding lever as I'm running the cheap stock handguards. Now I have folding levers and a set of spares for $30.

Link to my install post: https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-...s-and-upgrades.1364732/page-376#post-40820263

I have since moved the switchgear and clutch lever back a little closer to the grip than in those pictures.
    spova likes this.
  15. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get some Hood River OHV riding in this weekend. Anyone else? I'm thinking Binns would be a good choice, as the trails are probably primo now, and Pinemont area will stay ridable longer into the season. I'll toss out a proposal of kick stands up at 10:30 am on Sunday at Binns Hill staging area. Eh?
    Jungle Man and Scott_PDX like this.
  16. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be in. Which day?
  17. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sunday.
    DirtyTrails, El Pacifico and a_ron like this.
  18. DirtyTrails

DirtyTrails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time moves back an hour at 2am. I assume this 10:30 is before turning the clock back.
  19. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    So current plan for a few of us is kickstands up at 10 am Sunday morning at Binns. Note that that is what your clock should say after end of DST that morning. That's what 11 am feels like to use now, and should be enough time for temps to warm up a bit.

Send me a message if you plan on showing, in case plans change. Doug, Tony says you're in.
  20. DirtyTrails

DirtyTrails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mat, fuel and oil is topped off and chain is lubed. Looking forward to some primo dark chocolate dirt! :nod I'll be at Binns a little before 10.
    matloik likes this.