Riding Around the Hood

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 9, 2011.

1. DirtyTrails

DirtyTrails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it still 2020? Cause today did not suck. @matloik picked a perfect day for a ride in HR West. No dust and no puddles, just a lot of cool damp soil with great traction.
    The weather was great too. Thanks for posting this ride Mat!
    El Pacifico and matloik like this.
  2. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fun ride guys.

My only pic - snack time.

IMG_0122.jpg
    outbacktm and DirtyTrails like this.
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    My buddy Jon and I did 4 hours up Neal Ck, Fir mtn, powerlines, down Hedges grade and back around. It was spitting snow and sleet occasionally, with lots of sun breaks. Amazing visuals and the dirt is as good as it gets. This photo is at about 3,200'.
    Looking at the forecast, we might be nearing the end of the season at higher elevations. IMG_20201107_135412489_HDR.jpg
  4. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made to 3,700’ , had lunch and headed back down the hill.

74345F74-5EAA-460C-B057-C44BB167372C.jpeg 18F322E2-AB2A-4072-A031-F2E6D8E7F03A.jpeg
  5. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I got out to ride Wednesday.
    I didn't go very far, but it looks like it'll be a while before I get to ride again...

[​IMG]
    tdewitt, outbacktm, JP4 and 4 others like this.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Yikes. I hope a warm front comes through and melts all that away for you.
  7. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yeah, axle deep in the Subie in town this morning. Up until this week I think I've gotten out on the motos a couple times a week all winter. Was just over the top of Fir mtn last week on the 790 with just a few patches of snow here and there. Actually pretty dry and tacky up the Mosier side. At least we finally have good skiing! IMG_20210213_131007922_HDR.jpg
  8. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Snow level 3k' just below Kingsley two days ago. Lots of bikes on the Post and Binns trails. Should see some good melting the next few days. IMG_20210328_143105332_HDR.jpg Screenshot_20210328-143004.jpg
  9. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    You just saved me a trip up there. Looks like we're still a few weeks before being able to make it to the higher elevation stuff.
    JP4 likes this.
  10. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the latest word on the Kingsley work, anyone know? Not that it affects trails that much ... it's just been going on for years.
  11. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Hey Mat, I actually walked up and looked at the sign. It says the area is supposed to open up Summer of 2021. I guess we will know soon enough.
    I was just up Eldorado in Post today and it looks like most of the moto trails should be free of snow now. The second photo is on the 140 near the Post/Riordan intersection. Just a few puddles there.
    I'm going to try to get up to the power line area on the east side this week and see if that is melted out yet. IMG_20210328_143429917_HDR.jpg IMG_20210330_154916413_HDR.jpg
    BobcatSig and El Pacifico like this.
  12. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was an update on it during the last HRC meeting, but I can’t recall. I’d suspect that this summer is a bit too soon.
  13. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    You rode Eldorado up to where it ends (3 blind mice and 2 chair) and it’s snow free?
  14. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Today I only rode as high up Eldorado to where you can ride the road over to the Post/Riordan/140 intersection and rode down 140 and 8 Track. Two days ago I got to 3k' on the 790 going up the back way to Lower Kingsley. I rode right past the top of Eldo and past Binns staging area and there were only snow patches in the shade in those areas. Those are both at about 2,400'. Lots of trucks and riders at the Binns staging area and a few parked below the gate at Post flats staging. Anything below the reservoir should be rideable in the next week or so I would think.
    El Pacifico and matloik like this.
  15. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve got some visitors coming over and so I’m trying to gauge how far up we can mtb.
    JP4 likes this.
  16. pointsunknown

pointsunknown Explore. Dream. Discover.

Oddometer:
    Please forgive my ignorance here, but where can one moto from below the gate at post flats (when it's closed) ? Do folks ride around the gate? Or is there a moto trail lower down that gives upward access that I'm missing??
  17. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are several County gates that have an “official” ride around built in for motos and quads. The one by post flats is one of them. Take a look next time you go by, they become easily recognizable after a while.
    JP4 and pointsunknown like this.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    There's a moto only pass through at the Post gate. If I remember correctly, the county closes the gate in the winter to keep cars and trucks from damaging the wet roads. It's always open to moto's though, so early season people park their trucks just below the gate and ride from there.
    pointsunknown and El Pacifico like this.
  19. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    We need to set up a ride soon so we get to meet more local riders, @JP4 and @pointsunknown.

I can’t believe I haven’t seen JP4’s 790 around. That bike would immediately stand out in town.
  20. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    It's the one leaking coolant all over
    El Pacifico and Apple Jam like this.