Riding Australia during Christmas

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Guls, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I get 2 weeks of free paid vacation over Christmas and was planning to go and ride in Australia. I wanted to ride from east to west coast through the outback. I have few questions,
    1. Is Christmas the right time to do it.
    2. Are the bike rentals available and which bike(s).
    3. Are there guided tours available so I do not have to worry much about navigation and other issues.
    4. Is 2 weeks enough.
    5. Any suggestions for trip prep will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    :nahA coast to coast in an Australian summer is asking to be shipped home in a box...most here plan that for our winter June to August.
    Summer I’d ride Tasmania :D
    MirthfulThylacinator and x32792 like this.
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Pretty much a truck running non-stop Sydney Perth is ~4 days.

You can't ride at night. No ifs no buts. Wildlife.

Through the outback covers a lot of country/routes sort of but then again there are only less than a handful of routes across the country once you get close to the middle, one to the north that will probably be flooded, one through the middle that will be a severe test and the nullabor which will be almost as hot but tar.

Go through the middle that time of year and pretty certain we will be sending you home in a box.

2. Yes. But I don't think you'll be able to rent a bike that will give you the range to venture far off the main north or south routes. Some ways you need a five hundred mile range plus carry water.
    3. No, Nav is pretty easy as you don't really have a lot of choice.
    4. Depends, if you want to play tourist no, if you want to ride yes.

Christmas is probably not the right time to venture into our outback is the short answer. Most here head for the coast for good reason.
  4. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell him he's dreamin' LoL

Australia is a biiiiig place and summer is quite hot depending on where you go.

I agree...east to west is just not going to be something you'd do...you could probably do it..if you were mad... But it would suck bad.

Spend your time from below Newcastle and stick to the eastern seaboard and the Vic high country. We have sooooooo much good riding there.. hard or easy as you like and unlike the US we don't have dumb speed limits. You can go pretty hard and still be within the law.

Tassie is awesome but you have to grab a boat down there... that just takes time out of your fun... But yes, it is good. If you want to chat to someone otp..pm me and let's chat.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
  5. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    AustraliaAndUSA.png

were as wide as the usa
  6. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To true...BUT the US has no where near the amount of uninhabited area...and tons more support should you need it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    glitch_oz likes this.
  7. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    couldnt find a map for that info :lol3

but ill look

just trying to show aus is pretty big
  8. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Ah, @Guls there are guided tours available - Google Simon pavey or bikeroundoz